rdeejr

Just ported four iphone 6 last month from At&t and based on my experience will probably go back.

My daughter attends University of Texas and continually has No Service on campus in downtown Austin. Last weekend she came home and had No Service on many parts of Hwy 71 between Austin and Columbus which is concerning to me.

Lte service around my house near League City Tx sucks. Friday night while at a local restaurant which displayed Lte service, we could not use our phones. I tried the Speedtest and it failed several times. Finally I got a reading of .28 download and .05 upload which is useless.

Yesterday while at another location in League City Texas I had similiar results. 

When making phone calls the person calling complains about voice breaking up.

How can you have LTE service and not be able to use it. I turned off LTE and was finally able to use on 4g, but do not understand why I would have to fo this.  This is an issue with all our phones at different locations.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: No service and poor Lte

Aww, that's super rough, and we really want you to stay with us instead of head back to AT&T. I checked these and I'm not seeing reports of issues. There's some modernization, but even that isn't happening everywhere in these areas. If the service is more solid on 4G, we could have you Contact Us and have our Care team put in Service Complaints for each of these areas.

• stevetjr

I would also note that the iPhone 6 does not support all the T-Mobile LTE frequencies most notably Band 12 which is the low band frequency that penetrates buildings better and fills in the gaps between towers better.  One other tip that if it is calls in particular that are having issues especially if these are ATT phones is to turn off VoLTE if you have that option.  It will probably help on those phones.  T-Mobile had Band 12 when the 6 was launched and while Apple put 20 LTE bands in that phone they skipped Band 12.

• rdeejr

I think it is Tmobile as the test below was outside.  The other location was on April 21st was inside sitting next to a window and the speedtest failed multiple times.  My son and wife had  the same results.  Two other people in our party, one had Verizon and one had AT&T and had no issues.

All these are with LTE displaying and you cannot use data or calling as the call is breaking up.

April 1st 11:10 am. 

Lat; 29.4906, Lon;-95.099

Download 0.13

Upload 0.03

Ping 66ms

April 22nd 11:16am
            Lat; 29.4897
            Lon; -95.100 
            Download 0.28 Mbps,
            Upload 0.05 Mbps
            Ping 37ms

• stevetjr

Well I am not in Texas but have been although not League City and haven't had an issue.  These are the kind of results I get in Atlanta just so you can see T-Mobile is capable and tests have shown they have the fastest LTE network.  Now of course you aren't seeing that but really believe some of it is the phones.

Screenshot_20160720-214627.png

Even here in Atlanta I have a friend that does have an iPhone and one that actually supports Band 12 which has solved "most" of his coverage issues but ironically he still seems to have some issues here and there even when standing right next to me and I have service (and yes I don't have an iPhone) so I think that is some of the issue.  Every carrier has "dead" spots and you can be sitting right next to someone on a different carrier and have different results.  The reason though you may be seeing both Verizon and AT&T with service in that spot is because they are using low band and the iPhone 6 supports those frequencies but it doesn't support T-Mobile's low band frequency.  In looking at the coverage map for T-Mobile in particular if you zoom in you start to see "fair" and "good" coverage zones in spots all around League City. But as soon as you select a phone type that supports Band 12 most go away.

• tidbits

stevetjr wrote:

Well I am not in Texas but have been although not League City and haven't had an issue. These are the kind of results I get in Atlanta just so you can see T-Mobile is capable and tests have shown they have the fastest LTE network. Now of course you aren't seeing that but really believe some of it is the phones.

Screenshot_20160720-214627.png

Even here in Atlanta I have a friend that does have an iPhone and one that actually supports Band 12 which has solved "most" of his coverage issues but ironically he still seems to have some issues here and there even when standing right next to me and I have service (and yes I don't have an iPhone) so I think that is some of the issue. Every carrier has "dead" spots and you can be sitting right next to someone on a different carrier and have different results. The reason though you may be seeing both Verizon and AT&T with service in that spot is because they are using low band and the iPhone 6 supports those frequencies but it doesn't support T-Mobile's low band frequency. In looking at the coverage map for T-Mobile in particular if you zoom in you start to see "fair" and "good" coverage zones in spots all around League City. But as soon as you select a phone type that supports Band 12 most go away.

The problem they may be having is the intel radio.  I am hoping Apple switches to keep all radios Qualcomm.  You can actually see performance differences if you put an intel radio vs. a Qualcomm radio. With my 7+ I went back to T-Mobile and returned it and went and got one that was unlocked that had a Qualcomm one and never looked back.

• dragon1562

The best thing you can do is call t-mobile support and fill a service ticket. Just dial 611 on your device and ask them if there have been any other complaints of congestion or anything when on the phone with them. I will also add like many others have stated that the iphone 6 is not the best device to use with T-mobile. It is missing out on important frequency like band 12 and other technologies deployed on the network that allow for better overall coverage and speed.

Are all the devices that are having issues ported from AT&T ? Are they all iphones?

If so I would at the very least ether test another friends device in those troubled areas a example being a s7 or but a cheap phone from t-mobile and see what happens. Its a real bummer I know but in the mean time you can use 4g(HSPA+) till things are resolved. It very well could of been congestion that night but its hard to tell based off the info provided.

One last thing that is important to understand. T-mobile,AT&T, and Verizon all have towers in different locations and use different frequencies on their network the bulk of which is low band. T-mbolie has low band spectrum like them and it will help your experience immense but as stated by others the iPhone 6 does not support it.

• barcodeable

BAND 12 is missing from the iPhone 6

Tech specs: Apple iPhone 6

After reading your post, before i purchase my next PHONE I will make sure it has BAND 12 !!!!!!