Bait & Switch

seth_0295

To say I'm frustrated and extremely upset is an understatement. I pre-ordered the Galaxy S8 in store on 4/20 (the last day to be eligible for promotion) after being assured that I would be able to get the $99 promotion bundle (Gear VR, Bluetooth Headset, 256GB MicroSD Card). I was not told anything by the rep about going to Samsungs Website to register for the promotion, just to bring in my phone when it's received and they would add the $99 selection. Ok, sounded easy enough. Later that day I received EIP paperwork by email to electronically sign, so I did, and later received a shipping notification. Tracking never updated till past midnight and when it finally showed up it was sent UPS Next Business Day Saver. Now since it was shipped on a Friday then meant the next business day is Monday so I wouldn't receive the phone till 4/24/17 (which will be tomorrow). Ok still not a problem, I don't mind waiting since the time to submit for the promotion was good till 5/14/17.

All excited I decide to start watching videos of the phone on youtube and reading website reviews and forum posts. That's when I stumble on the fact that you have to go to Samsungs website to register for the promotion. So of course I go to it only to find out that I can't actually register for it since it requires the IMEI from the phone and a WiFI hardware address. Looking at my tmobile account online for the order I am able to find the IMEI for the phone being sent to me but I can't actually get the WiFI address without physically having the phone so I have no way to register. The real quicker comes when I wake up that morning to find out that they are no longer offering the $99 promo due to being "sold out". This seems completely unfair, especially after I find out that a lot of customers received their phones prior to the release date, and that everyone that actually pre-ordered and purchased their phones directly through the Samsung website were able to select their promotion at time of purchase, so no matter what I never stood a chance of getting the promotion that I wanted, which to be honest is the only reason I decided to preorder the phone and not just get a newer iPhone.

To me this is classic bait and switch, if you have a promotion and state that you can get this for preordering (Gear VR) or spend $99 and get an even better promotion then you should honor that agreement. Of course while researching the phone is of course when I come across the fine print that T-Mobile never stated when they assured me I could get the $99 bundle by preordering. (Fine print states only 350,000 gear vr's available and only 50,000 of the $99 bundles). So no way of ever getting the bundle I specifically stated I wanted when ordering the phone and by the time I actually do receive the phone to register there will not be any Gear VR's left, even though to be honest the Gear VR was never a selling point to me, but the headset with memory card along with the Gear VR was a no brainer for me. I just feel completely duped, and have lost all faith in the integrity of both Samsung and T-Mobile due to this promotion fiasco. I even ordered the Gear 3 Frontier watch to complete my Samsung experience, thus throwing more money towards a company that obviously doesn't take care of their customers. I feel like I am not left with any other option but to return the phone once its received and my watch and protest Samsung with my wallet. To some of you this will seem like nothing but whining, but I take what people tell me as truth, and when it turns out otherwise they should be held accountable on principle alone. I am only one person in a sea of millions of customers, but I know I am not alone in feeling this way based on Samsungs forums from others that had similiar experiences with this promotion. Will T-mobile stand up and make the situation right, or will you do like everyone else and blame the other person?

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Bait & Switch

It's not their promotion to give. Regardless of what the rep said or did not say. At the point of sale you did qualify. When you got the device like everyone else had equal chance. Also this sold out thing seems like BS anyway. People been saying it since Wednesday, but people have been able to claim since yesterday($99 bundle, I paid for mine Friday).  The information has been out there seconds after the phone was announced.

Sorry if it sounds like I am defending carriers or what not but it's what I believe. This happens every year you can find people who end up losing out due to quantity. Carriers are not going to know how many Manufacturers will have especially when 8 other US carriers are selling preorders.

• seth_0295

I guess you missed the part where I still haven't received the phone, so no I didn't have an equal chance as everyone else, as you need to physically have the phone to register for the promotion, unless you ordered directly through Samsungs website as they allowed you to pick the promotion at the time you pre-ordered. We were not given that same option, and I also disagree with you about it not being Tmobile's promotion to give as they benefited directly from the promotion in added sales and pre-orders. The misinformation was given by the tmobile rep. Sorry but if I sold you something and promised you something from that manufacturer and then they said tough luck, the seller didn't give you the right information so you're screwed,  you would expect me to make it right, and if I valued you as a customer I would feel obligated to make it right it for you.

• tidbits

If you ordered it from Samsung you would have gotten it with the phone. You could have preordered exactly at the same time as everyone else. Just because you didn't doesn't mean you were not given the same opportunity as the person who ordered as soon as they went up. So you ordered late and it's T-Mobiles fault Samsung ran out of supply and Samsung never dictated their supply amounts. Sorry I don't see your logic. It's a Samsung promotion and they dictated all the terms. The rep told you in order ro qualify you ordered you qualify for the promotion which you do.  You still can get something for qualifying just not what you want.

• seth_0295

The point was how was I supposed to know that at the time I purchased. Saying that because I bought it on the last day of the pre-order is null and void since the promotion listed in the store stated "Pre-Order between March 30 and April 20 to receive a free Gear VR or choose to pay $99 to upgrade to the Infinitely Immersive offer and also receive a set of AKG luetooth headphones and a Samsung EVO 256GB Micro SD card (a $500 value)". You say I could have pre-ordered as the same times as others but I honestly didn't feel the need to, but after stopping by the store and being sold on the promotion, like I said it was a no-brainer. I could have kept my iPhone and iWatch and had been happy, but I was sold on the phone due to the promotion as it was explained to me by the T-Mobile rep, not a Samsung rep.

You are still missing the point that the T-mobile rep assured me I would receive the promotion I wanted, and that is simply not the case. You don't promise someone something to make a sell and then not uphold your promise. You can continue to defend them all you want, but it still doesn't change what t-mobile promised, period.

• tidbits

You want someone who had 0 control of the promotion to take the blame for supply which they don't have control of. The rep doesn't have foresight to know the exact supply Samsung has. When she sold you the idea at that moment she was absolutely correct. So explain how would she know how many were left?

Samsung set up all the rules and made the supply. All carriers advertised the promotion.

• tidbits

You qualify for the promotion you wanted just that Samsung sold out on the option you wanted. Samsung could have updated everyone and Samsung hasn't even done that if they are in fact sold out. You'd have a better chance arguing Samsung was false advertising.

• tidbits

Notice they noe put a notice up for the $99 which wasn't there an few hours go(checked my status).

• seth_0295

That notice has been up there since 9am EST on Friday. I know because I woke up to it and if you don't believe me check the Samsung community forums to see how many people feel cheated that others were able to register without the same stipulations that have made it impossible for others to claim at the time of purchase. And in regards to your other post I have made my feelings known on Samsung forums also but at the end of the day I am tmobiles customer not Samsung's, just as Tmobile is samsungs customer. Samsung would make it right to tmobile if asked to due to fear of loss of so many sells.

• tidbits

Ok that banner wasn't up at that time. Do you know how I know? I bought that exact package afternoon HAWAII time Friday. If it was sold out I couldn't have gotten it.

• tidbits

For reference I live in Hawaii and that is my order date.  If it was sold out I couldn't have gotten it. Other forums you will see I wasn't the only one able to get it on the 21st which is Friday

promo2.PNG

• seth_0295

For reference I live in Hawaii and that is my order date.  If it was sold out I couldn't have gotten it. Other forums you will see I wasn't the only one able to get it on the 21st which is Friday

promo2.PNG

Well I'm happy it worked for you,  but I'm pretty sure if you were in the same position you would probably feel the same. And in regards to your comments about the rep not knowing the quantities and its not your fault then the same logic should apply to me the customer. I was told I would get the $99 deal once I received the phone, like it or not, it's what she stated. She even told me if I waited till the next day I could just come in and pick it up in the store, but to do that I couldn't pre-order as all pre-orders were shipped directly from T-mobile. I told her I didn't mind waiting for it to ship to ensure I would receive the pre-order bonus as I didn't want the phone without it.

So it was either have it shipped and get the pre-order bonus, or not pre-order and pick up in store the next day. Instead I get pre-order and wait for  the phone to be delivered and still not get the pre-order bonus. I guess that's what you are failing to grasp, as I did everything that I was told to do by T-mobile to get what I ordered and now through their lack of knowledge of a promotion they are pushing to generate sells, I lose out, the customer. Tell me again how that makes them not liable to make up for it. It wasn't Samsung that was pushing the promotion on me, it was the T-mobile rep. At this point I don't care who fixes the issue but I do feel T-Mobile would have more leverage to secure the promotion I was promised then I do attempting to get Samsung to do anything about it. A phone call from T-mobile would fix the issue right away I'm sure due to their business relationship with each other. I have no problem taking my business elsewhere to someone who values me as a customer, plain and simple.

• theartiszan

Yeah I hear you on this one. The whole promotion all the way around was hard to deal with and I was worried about not getting it since I pre-ordered the day it became available. So I can really sympathize.

It is Samsung's promotion though and not the carriers and the details on the promotion site that went live right after the phone's announcement did say that there was only going to be 50,000 of the fully immersive bundle available. The rep was right that you would be eligible, but they could not guarantee that you would be able to get it.

This is the same thing that is coming up on many different forums from all the people who purchased with all the different carriers. This is not unique to T-Mobile at all. And sadly, there is nothing really T-Mobile can do since it wasn't their promotion. Also, (as much as it stinks) what the reps say isn't binding, it is what is in print. And there is nothing in print about the promo from T-Mobile since it isn't theirs. The carriers also have far less sway over the manufacturers than most people think. Also being that it wasn't their promotion, T-Mobile doesn't even have the hardware to send to you even if they wanted to.

I know it is sad to say, but I think you are really out of luck on this one. You can try and call Samsung and let them know that you qualified at purchase time, but now unavailable and see if they can do anything for you, but I am not sure what they would be able to offer as the promotion details did lay out that there are only 50,000 of the fully immersive bundle and 350,000 of the Gear VR bundles. So Samsung did layout that it is limited quantity just like they did for the S7 promotion as well. You can read about it here which has been out since the announcement of the phone and gives you all the details.

https://promos.samsung.com/infinitelyimmersive/rules

• tidbits

I would be mad, BUT I wouldn't try and force a person or entity who had no control of the promotion to compensate me.

These are some of the other reasons

I could have ordered sooner

I could have researched better(You knew about the promo before the rep even talked to you) the rules are easy to find

I don't buy things based on the freebies "I could get"

I've missed out on 2 other promos. Both LG promos but I knew what I was getting into.

It is what it is.

• theartiszan

Agreed.  Well said like always.

• seth_0295

These are some of the other reasons

I could have researched better(You knew about the promo before the rep even talked to you) the rules are easy to find

Well as usual you make a lot of assumptions. Let's start with

Believe it or not not everyone lives and breaths cell phones. I came by the retail store looking to upgrade my iPhone 6s to the iPhone 7. I don't follow Android phones usually and to be honest did not know about the promotion until it was brought up to me.

As stated in my original post, I started researching the phone later that night after pre-ordering, which is how I stumbled on the fact that there was a website to register at, and one could only do so if they actually had the phone in hand. Way to go telling me what I did and did not know at the time of purchase, are you a shill? If the rules are so easy to find as you state then by your logic it should apply to the rep selling the phone. How did she not know? You keep defending the poor rep but then turn around and blast me for not knowing?!? She's had to deal with this every day since the promotion started since this is what her job is, to sell phones. She knew enough to obviously sell me on the phone, but of course according to you, its not her fault and completely mine. I'm such a moron for not knowing about all this sooner.

I don't care what you do, this is my post remember? Your spending habits don't matter to me. So please just stop.

As I stated, I stopped by to upgrade my phone. In and out. However my mind was changed while at the store, based on what the rep sold me on, and as you guessed it, the promotion had a big part to play in me changing my mind on the phone to get. My spending habits are just that, "mine", not your's. I don't care what you do and what you purchase and what promos you have done. Please refrain from any further posting, I don't wish to argue with you, it's a waste of my time having to respond to all of your assumptions. Your continuance to do so just makes me feel like you are a shill for t-mobile.

• seth_0295

You are right, I did not know about the supply availability but the rep should have known since she was pushing the promotion. Since I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are not a rep of T-Mobile or a paid rep, please allow T-Mobile to respond to this thread. It's their decision on what to do about the matter, not mine and not yours. The only reason this is posted here is due to the fact that they havent responded to the emails sent. Please refrain from posting further as the back and forth is counterproductive. We can simple agree to disagree. You received your promo so you have no reason to continue on. Have a good day sir.

• tidbits

Explain how the rep is going to  know? It's not their promotion and there is no database given to all the carriers to how much Samsung has. If you go back and look at the past 6 promotions held by LG and Samsung you will notice people ended up not getting what they want due to supply.

• tidbits

FYI there are threads not just this one in various other places and those that didn't get their promotional pick you are the first to think the carrier is liable. I wish you the best of luck and maybe you should check those other forums for more data to help you.

• tmo_marissa

Hey seth_0295.  I honestly have to say I am super bummed to read through this thread.  I can't speak for what happened in our store, but I certainly wish we'd offered more clarification around this.

I know you understand this at this point, but this promotion was never ours to honor or make exceptions for - it's a national Samsung promotion, and was open to anyone who pre-ordered the S8 or S8+, but within parameters that they set - including supply.  While it sounds like we were attempting to offer a sweet service and go the extra mile by encouraging you to come back to the store so that we could register you for the promotion ourselves (and save you the online IMEI/MAC ID/receipt upload legwork on Samsung's site), I can see how by offering this it actually muddied the water when contrasted with the possible alternative.  Although it's considerably less hands-on, if we'd simply explained this initially, you may have checked our their site yourself when you got home and noticed that there was a limited quantity and chosen to complete your pre-order there instead of signing your EIP. 

Ultimately, since this isn't a T-Mobile offer, our hands are tied when it comes to the "while supplies last" aspect of this offer.  What I can do is provide feedback to our internal team about the way we handled this.  Thank you for taking the time to post here.  We may not be able to change this situation but we welcome all feedback and would definitely like to use it to better the experiences we provide going forward.  I'm going to send you a PM in a few moments, so please keep an eye on your inbox.

- Marissa

• flashfox

The challenge is with the WiFi MAC number. Without it you can't register both and you can't get it without the device. I had preregistered way in advance and received my S8+ before the stores. Good right? Read on ...

On my side, I HAD the S8+ in hand (received it that day) so I had both numbers BUT on Samsung's site it returned that they were wrong!  I chatted with T-MobileHELP and I was told that others had the same issue and to wait for the official release date. I did and then the numbers were accepted BUT now the $99 promo was no longer available.

Mind you I just wanted the Gear so the loss of the $99 deal is not a big issue for me BUT it does frustrate the heck out of me that Samsung cannot get their act together. I have the accepted contract, the S8+, all of the numbers yet I am told they are invalid no matter how many times I try or which browser I use. The next day it accepts both numbers but now the promo is sold out.

• notethis

i know one dmn thing. many on samsung community started a petiion over this issue of failing to supply all on time rightly.

• tidbits

notethis wrote:

i know one dmn thing. many on samsung community started a petiion over this issue of failing to supply all on time rightly.

The terms already stated it was a limited supply.

• notethis

dont matter to me   mines ordered. i still signed petition.

• tidbits

People who paid they all have gotten tracking within the first 3-4 days of their order being placed.  The 6-8 weeks is general terms bottom protection in the event something happens.  They had the same length of time in their S7E and Note 7 promotions and we know it was a lot shorter than 6-8 weeks. 

• flashfox

"limited" is one thing but refusing to accept the ID and MAC then when it accepts it saying that's it's no longer available is pushing it. I pre-ordered, signed the contract, got my phone before they were available in stores (need the WiFi MAC address) but the IDS were refused by Samsung. The next day they were accepted but the promo was over. Those who had to use the "inside track" (aka T-Mobile store system) to get the promo is not the way it was supposed to be. Us regular users were screwed.

Not blaming T-Mobile but they did mislead us ... in my case by simply saying to try when the phone is officially released (next day), or by not knowing about the promo limitations.

I spoke with my local manager and he said that his staff was briefed and that he expected them to be aware of promos that are tied to products they sell. Maybe this is not what happens in every T-Mo store but nevertheless it just creates frustration.

• theartiszan

Not sure what you mean by "inside track" at the store. They would have needed to submit online just the same way you have done. None of the stores would have sold before release and they wouldn't have a way of guaranteeing that anyone would get it.

• theartiszan

thinking back i remember a few posts online from others and even different carriers that were having a problem with inputting the information. That seems to have been a Samsung issue on their promo site. The store should have had you call Samsung. Not like that was easy with a more than 1.5 hour hold time with them. But there was no way for the rep to know how fast it would sell out for that bundle. I would still recommend calling Samsung,  tell them the problem you had with their site and see what they can do.