How to sim unlock a tmobile galaxy s6 bought used?

minipianoman

I recently bought a galaxy s6 used, and want to use it on my network (tfw).  The issue is that despite being "unlocked" according to tmobile support, my sim card gives an invalid error.  I do not have access to the tmobile account originally used with the phone.  How can I get this working? 

All replies

• drnewcomb2
        1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey minipianoman!  This doesn't sound like an ideal situation at all - are you still having trouble getting this S6 to work with your TFW SIM?  Since the S6 uses the Unlock App, the phone would need to be approved for an unlock on our side by meeting the requirements that drnewcomb2 linked to before you could walk through the app process for a permanent unlockWe need account access to confirm that equipment is eligible for an unlock, since there are account requirements involved - so if you've never personally used the device on T-Mobile as a current or former customer, we'd need the person you purchased it from to Contact Us.  How is everything going with this?

- Marissa

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • minipianoman

Hello,

Thank you for the reply!  I have not yet gotten the phone to accept my sim.  I have tried using the app to request both a temporary and a permanent unlock, both of which are denied.  I have asked the person I purchased it from to contact tmobile support, however they confirm that the phone is already unlocked (despite not accepting my sim).  He insists that the phone meets all qualifications for an unlock. 

• minipianoman

I have now talked to the person I bought if from several times, and he has on multiple occasions contacted tmobile.  It is my understanding that he was not the original owner of the phone, having instead also bought it used (this was never an issue for him as he used tmobile anyway).  The issue remains, however, that according to tmobile phone support, the phone is already unlocked yet remains unusable.  At this point, what are your suggestions?  Is it a lost cause, or should I continue trying to get it unlocked? 

Thank you.

• tmo_marissa

Ouch, minipianoman.  I wish I could explain why the app isn't working!  It does need at the very least a Wi-Fi connection for a permanent unlock.  Temporary unlocks will work with a network connection only, so since you don't have an active T-Mobile SIM to insert, I think you're going to be stuck there.  When you're connecting to Wi-Fi and selecting the "Permanent" unlock option, do you get an error message of any kind? 

- Marissa

• minipianoman

I get the exact same errors for both temporary and permanent unlock, regardless of the wifi status.  "request denied". 

• tmo_marissa

Well, shoot.  I have to say I was really hoping for something a little more specific, sometimes error messages can point to a particular resolution. 
                            In this case, I really think the best option would be for you to reach out *with* the person who sold you the phone - so that you have the device in hand and can walk through the steps with our Tech team.  To be honest, there may still be snags related to the original account that the device was used on, which is tricky - because legally, we won't be able to release any information regarding that account.  But at least if the device is eligible from what we see when we have the both of you on the line together, and the equipment simply isn't cooperating, we can whitelist it and make it work.  At this point, that's the last resort - to me, it would be worth it so that your money and effort aren't wasted!

- Marissa