kemyst

I am new to T-Mobile using iPhone 6 & 7 trying to run WeChat voice. This has always worked on my previous carrier & still works on my iPhone with WiFi. When I use T-Mobile LTE, WeChat voice calls can dial, but never connect. I have tried on both iPhone 6 & iPhone 7, but neither of them can connect when using T-Mobile. Does anyone else have WeChat voice working on TMobile? Any suggestions on what could be going on?

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: WeChat

Hello kemyst!

First off, welcome to support and thanks for joining the T-Mobile family!

I'm guessing these devices are from your previous carrier? I'd make sure that you have strong signal when connected to T-Mobile and test the data through the browser to see if that works if you haven't already. Does the WeChat give you any error message that pops up? Another thing you'll want to check is your phones' software versions. Making sure they're up to date will help make insure the software and the app don't fuss with each other and gives them the best chance of working for you. Please keep us posted on this and let us know how things go.

• kemyst

hi Mike. 

Thanks for the welcome. TMo support was really great. The phone is not an issue, it affects all phones whether they are originally TMo or transferred from other carriers. The issue is incompatibility between IPv6 on TMo & WeChat voice. AT&T have an older network that only supports IPv4. Android phones can disable IPv6, so they can work on just v4. Unfortunately,  all IPhones are hardwired to support dual stack & IPv4 cannot be disabled.

Now it's time to log an issue with Tencent, the makers of WeChat, to upgrade their client

• tmo_mike_c

Ah I see. You bring up a good point and the I've heard of IPv6 being problematic with other applications in the past. I'm curious, has Tencent made it fairly easy to log this issue with their team?

• kemyst

i have not even tried. I might get my Chinese tech friends to give it a shot. They certainly don't have support documentation published with their app.

• tmo_mike_c

Aww, that's a shame they don't have support docs. Do you have any updates on this? Were you able to get this working?

• kemyst

Only Chat functions work with Wechat & TMobile. There is no way to get voice, file sharing & Alipay to work on the T-Mobile network. Given how important this application is for communicating & doing business with China, I would hope T-Mobile would put in some time to get Tencent to resolve. Either that or put a temporary fix in the network to get the app working. It's very frustrating, as it works fine on all other mobile networks, WeChat is just totally broken on T-Mo due to their internet gateway.

• stevew407

Can this be clarified and made a bit simpler? 

• tidbits

Kemyst there is nothing T-Mobile can do. They'd have to do major changes. Apple chose to go forward with IPv6 with no way to IPv4. You have to hound Apple or get Tencent to support IPv6. Eventually they have to as other carriers worldwide are starting to drop IPv4 as well as major ISP providers.

• tmo_mike_c

tidbits brings up a really good point about the iPhones. I'm curious what will happen if you try using this app with Android device to see if you're able to get it to work.

• magenta1309321

tmo_brandy tmobile-admin @kemyst
                          I  ran into the same issue, along with my wife and many other users, after we all updated to iOS 10.3.1.

With more testing, I generally had this pattern if I make WeChat voice calls using TMobile 4G/LTE network:

If the other party is on iOS 10.3.1, no matter what carrier they use (Verizon, ATT, China Mobile), such call can't be connected;

If the other party is on earlier iOS version, no matter what carrier they use, such call can be connected.

If I use Wi-Fi, such call can always be connected.

I called TMobile support, got transferred to Apple support, all clueless. I found this thread and then called again, got to talk to Apple support Senior Advisor and showed her this discussion thread. She was aware of this issue now, but no idea how to solve it, suggested me to talk to Tencent. I also suggested Apple to take it more seriously, using its own influence to ask Tencent to make a change.

I also sent a request to my Tencent contact, who works inTencent strategic investment team, to push it though there internally.

any other thing we can do? thanks

• dragon1562

I just wanted to let you know that Wechat is working fine on my S8 and that is with both IPV6 and IPv4 protocols so i'm not sure why your getting the issue with the iPhone version.

• tidbits

The app in question probably is only using IPv4 instead of using the new SDKs that is out that supports IPv6.  Since the iPhone only deal in absolutes they don't support IPv4 and that's where they are stuck at.