wagman

I am hoping someone can help me. A year and a half ago, I stopped into my local T-Mo store to discuss the fact that the building I work in has had an addition constructed and I can no longer get any reliable signal at my desk…before, I had full reception. The addition doesn’t block my area much, but I can understand that it would affect the signal. I was using a OnePlus One and the T-Mo person talked me into buying the LG G4 (using Jump On Demand…which is another story)…because it has Band 12 (700 mhz), which penetrates buildings better. It was not in my area, but he assured me it was coming very soon. Well, it has never come…or so I thought. My lack of signal has gotten no better with this phone, so I am a bit put out. I have been patient and kept checking every few weeks…but no Band 12. I finally gave up. I went in the store, yesterday, to talk with T-Mo about the LG G6. I asked if the G6 would be better in a building without Band 12 and he said he didn’t know, but I didn’t need to worry, because Band 12 had been rolled out in the area around my building. I was shocked. I told him there was zero change in reception, in my office…again, this is not deep into the building, even with the addition.

I can say I always give T-Mo props for the great customer service I have received over the last three years. So, I am disappointed that I am even in this situation. But, since I am…here goes: Is there something I can do to test whether Band 12 is actually in my area? I have gotten in to the hidden menu and changed the band to 12 manually…I then used LTE Discovery to show me the results. It show that I am on Band 17 (I still don’t fully understand the relationship between 12 and 17…but it goes to Band 17 when I manually select 12). It shows a strong signal, with full bars (at my desk). It does not show any mobile data connection and I cannot make a phone call. That is the best I have been able to do.

Suggestions on how I can determine if it is even in my area…and if so, why it doesn't work with my phone, which it is supposed to (according to T-Mo store person). If I can determine that it is not in my area, then I am stuck with a phone I paid a lot for a particular service, which I do not get. I like the phone and haven’t had other issues with it, but it is not much of a step up from my OnePlus One.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: LG G4 and Band 12

You can, depending on the phone's modem chip, use an app such as LTE Discovery to get information about the signal status. I don't know a lot of about LG phones. You can also look on CellMapper.net to see if anyone has mapped any band-12 sites in your area. The CellMapper app sometimes decides what band a phone is using by making an educated guess based on the way carriers number their cell sectors. Sometimes the phone's AIP tells CellMapper what band is in use.

I take it that you don't have access to WiFi at work?

The way that T-Mobile has implemented their band-12 tends to be a bit more anemic than first anticipated. It has better range but does not tend to burn holes through steel walls the way that many anticipated.

If you find you can't get by with T-Mobile any longer, the JUMP! On Demand (JOD) plan also has what's known as a Lifetime Coverage Guarantee. You could invoke the Guarantee and T-Mobile will have to unlock the phone. You can then port out to compatible carrier (e.g. AT&T) and continue to make only the JOD device payments. Lifetime Coverage Guarantee

• tmo_marissa

Hey wagman.  I'm sorry to hear that no improvement followed along with the implementation of Band 12 in your area - looking forward to that only to find out it had already happened and you didn't even have cause to suspect it had to be a rough blow.  drnewcomb2 had a few suggestions about ways to take a look at whether or not Band 12 is showing in your area on external websites, but I wanted to see if you'd had a chance to touch base with our Tech team to provide the specific address for your office so that we could review our internal maps for you?  If we'd expect you to connect on your T-Mobile G4 and you're not, we can file a service inquiry to gain engineering's insight as to possible reasons why!

- Marissa

• wagman

Hi Marissa,

Thanks for replying, and thanks to drnewcomb2. Sorry to take so long to reply...been on the road...still am. As I indicated in my original post, after I was told that Band 12 had been in the area, I did use a couple of apps, including LTE Discovery to see whether I was getting Band 12 at work. The phone never naturally goes to band 12, but if I use the hidden menu and force it to band 12, I get what appears to be all bars on the signal meter (LTE Discovery shows the phone on band 17 when it is forced to band 12)...but there is no data or phone service available.

I have only gone to the local store, which is located a couple miles north of work and talked with them about the issue. I would be happy to discuss further with someone. My first day back to work will be Friday. So, is there someone I can contact directly?

• drnewcomb2

If the "all bars" signal is IDed with the number "310-410", what you are seeing is AT&T's 700 MHz band 12/17 signal. An Android phone will show bars when it is provided with a signal that it is not able to register on.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • wagman

drnewcomb2,

Yeah, that is kinda what I was thinking from other things I have read. Even standing outside the building, where I get full Band 4 signal and service, if I force Band 12 (17), that is the only one the phone hooks up with. That, to me, is the most damning evidence that T-Mo band 12 is not in the area...which would explain why I have no change in service, but also that I was sold a bill of goods. I will try to reserve judgement until I can get with someone more official than the store clerks. Also, to answer your question about wifi availability...yes, it is available and I can, and do, use it for wifi calls in the building. However, the internal network, for internet usage, is blocked for most things leaving the building. This would be for personal use.

• tmo_marissa

wagman, I definitely want you to Contact Us.  You don't have to speak with any person directly, any member of our Tech Support team can review the address for your office building and see what spectrum we have deployed in the area and file a service inquiry if we do have Band 12 serving that area and it's not connecting.  If online contact is preferable for you (which I'm guessing might be a possibility since it sounds like thus far you've been working with the store and reaching out here), you can contact our T-Force team through Twitter or Facebook and we can perform the same internal map review for you there, and complete the same type of engineering ticket if necessary.  Please let us know how this goes! 

- Marissa