bot515059@gmail.com

@t-The 600 megahertz Stream T-MOBILE just bought  low beam will the work with the pixel phone XL ?

Message was edited by: c.sut

All replies

• stevetjr

Probably not since the official Band specification for 600 won't be finalized until September and doubt any radios were built with support for a standard that doesn't exist yet.

• artart

Hi bot515059@gmail.com

Thanks for asking this particular question.

It gives me the oportunity to learn more about a topic that I find a little confusing.

I didn't understand why we couldn't simply have firmware updates so that the existing radios in the handsets we already have would be able to use the 600 band. 

The referenced article and quote below seems to provide an "official confirmation" of what stevetjr and theartiszan  have already speculated.

I know that the answer to your question might be disappointing to you, You bringing up the subject however, serves to warn all of us that we might think twice before buying any T-Mobile branded phone at this particular time.

Since I am  happy with my current phones' reception, I will not be considering any more new phones untill I can obtain one that has 600 MHz capability.

Art

T-Mobile’s Spectrum Haul is a Game Changer for Wireless Consumers

"In addition, Qualcomm is introducing chipsets supporting 600 MHz, and T-Mobile expects leading smartphone makers to begin delivering 600 MHz compatible phones as soon as this year."

• stevetjr

In doing a little "research" it looks like the iPhone 8 may be the first phone capable of 600Mhz as it is rumored to be getting the new Qualcomm X20 LTE modem which supports 600Mhz.  Now of course since the band specifications won't be finalized until September it would probably require a firmware update but they do say it will support it.  Now of course you never know with Apple since when T-Mobile already had 700 (Band 12) Apple decided to launch the iPhone 6 with 20 LTE bands but skipping Band 12.  Last year it was putting the Intel modem chip in the AT&T and TMO versions of the iPhone because the Intel chip couldn't do CDMA and they wanted to give Intel some business even though most experts said the Intel modem was inferior to the Qualcomm X12. But if Apple does use the X20 LTE modem in the TMO variant then sounds like it would be the first unless the Note 8 also gets the X20 modem.

Here is a good read on Qualcomm's X20 LTE modem;

Qualcomm Extends Connectivity Leadership with Second Generation Gigabit LTE Modem | Qualcomm

• artart

stevetjr wrote:

In doing a little "research" it looks like the iPhone 8 may be the first phone capable of 600Mhz as it is rumored to be getting the new Qualcomm X20 LTE modem which supports 600Mhz.  Now of course since the band specifications won't be finalized until September it would probably require a firmware update but they do say it will support it.. . . . . . .

. . . . . But if Apple does use the X20 LTE modem in the TMO variant then sounds like it would be the first unless the Note 8 also gets the X20 modem.

Hi stevetjr

Thanks for the info, including historical context and the link.

I believe you are saying that Qualcomm's X20 LTE modem might find its way into some new phones as a form of "future proofing" to be tweaked with firmware after the standard is finialized.

Speaking of the Note 8. . . .

Some pundits think that the S8 is going to cannibalize the Galaxy Note fan base. It is speculated that many die hard Note fans will purchase the S8 if a large size is all that matters to them. Only those who need the utility of the S Pen might be willing to wait for the Note 8 to launch.

If there was any possible way to make it happen,

I am sure the inclusion of the X20 modem would definitely be a big boost for T-Mobile branded Galaxy Note 8 sales. If the Note 8 doesn't have the capability to receive the 600 Mhz band firmware after finalization of the standard; that would definitely hurt sales. People would simply wait a litle while longer to purchase phones which will work on all of T-Mobile's bands.

Art

• stevetjr

You can see from the article that Qualcomm just announced the x20 late

February so obviously to late to get it into the S8 since production has

been well under way at that point. Now Samsung dis essentially buy out

Qualcomm's production of the 835 chip which is why the G6 still has 820

series so maybe they can pull the same deal for the Note 8 and leave Apple

out, heck Apple uses the Intel modem in 2 variants probably just to try and

get leverage on Qualcomm which they might just remember lol.

• artart

stevetjr wrote:

You can see from the article that Qualcomm just announced the x20 late

February so obviously to late to get it into the S8 since production has

been well under way at that point. Now Samsung dis essentially buy out

Qualcomm's production of the 835 chip which is why the G6 still has 820

series so maybe they can pull the same deal for the Note 8 and leave Apple

out, heck Apple uses the Intel modem in 2 variants probably just to try and

get leverage on Qualcomm which they might just remember lol.

stevetjr

If production is too far underway, then the Note 8 won't be able to receive the X20 modem. That wouldn't impact the sales of other carrier's Note 8s since they don't have the 600 Mhz spectrum to accomodate. On the other hand, T-Mobile would benefit big time when going head to head with other carriers upon the Note 8's release. The long awaited replacement for the combustable Note 7, including the ability to take advantage of the 600 Mhz band, would be a major selling point to get people to switch to T-Mobile.

As you suggest, Samsung would also benefit if it could actually

"pull the same deal for the Note 8  and leave Apple out" .  . . (again ) .

Art