juniorninety

I don't know if this is a android problem or instagram problem but this is super frustrating. I can watch instagram videos no problem on my desktop PC, laptop and my brothers iPhone. But on my S7 Edge its a 50% chance a video will play or won't play, this is on both the live feed and instagram stories. How can I fix this issue? I've been dealing with this for weeks and I just want to be able to watch instagram videos.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Instagram videos won't play on my S7 Edge

Ouch! Having this go on for weeks is SOOO not fun juniorninety. We can help figure this out for you. What kind of signal do you have on your phone?  Are you connected to the T-Mobile network or a personal Wi-Fi?  I suggest trying Instagram through the browser and the app to see if there's a difference at all. That'll help is determine if it's coming from just the app or if it's effecting the browser experience too. Please keep us posted on this so we can get you back to enjoying those videos.

Discussion successfully moved from Other Android Discussions to Samsung Galaxy Discussions

• juniorninety

Re: Instagram videos won't play on my S7 Edge

Instagram videos play fine when I use google chrome on my S7 Edge, the only time instagram videos won't play is when I use the instagram app so I am not sure what is causing this.

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm, that's weird it's just the app. Thanks for testing that though, at least we know now where the issue's coming from. Can you try clearing the cache for the app and force stopping it to see if that helps? You may also want to uninstall and reinstall it if the issue still happens after clearing the cache.

• juniorninety

I have uninstalled the app and erased the cache. Instagram runs fine on my windows 10 laptop, desktop and on my brother and friends iPhone. The only issue I am having is with my phone. This is really annoying, I paid a lot of money for this phone and for some reason videos won't play. I don't know if this is a Samsung or Instagram app problem. I just want to be able to watch instagram videos.

• tmo_marissa

Hey juniorninety!  It definitely sounds like you've covered your bases as far as standard troubleshooting for a third party app is concerned.  Are you still having trouble with this?  Just because it looks like we haven't mentioned this yet, have you checked the Play Store for any updates to IG?  I know I've had frequent updates for it on my phone as they've started implementing all these cool new features!

- Marissa

• juniorninety

Yes, I have made sure the app has the most recent update and I have tried reinstalling the app. I am just a bit frustrated because it seems like any other computer, phone or device I use can play instagram videos fine. Only my s7 Edge is giving me issues, which is my phone and the main device I use. I don't know what I can do to fix this issue, I have been dealing with this for months. I am not sure if this is an instagram or android issue.

• tmo_marissa

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure either, juniorninety.  I will say you've done exactly what we'd recommend, and I'm sorry that it wasn't successful.  Intermittent connectivity issues can definitely cause something like this - but if it seems like you're in an area with good signal, and everything else is working fine (no crazy buffering, etc), then I think you've done what you can on your side to eradicate the problem.  A quick online search for IG video issues after nougat didn't really return much - and looking for specific help with Instagram basically just turned up that they currently have no known issues to report.  At this point your next step would be to report the bug to give them a chance to look into it.  It's the Android App developer's responsibility to keep their application up to date to align with new software versions, so reporting the issue to them is important.  If other users are experiencing this and report it as well, that will alert them to a problem and they can work to remedy it - for anyone who might be having this trouble.

- Marissa