drnewcomb2

US-23 through Kentucky is a major, divided, 4-lane highway with zero T-Mobile service along most of its route. T-Mobile needs to unblock roaming on AT&T LACs 15930 & 16935 to provide at least minimal service along this route.

All replies

• rangerstyle

Re: Coverage along US-23 in Kentucky

I too live in KY, and have been sadly disappointed in tmobile coverage in key areas (my work places). The coverage seems "ok" outdoors, but go inside and I don't get signal.

• tmo_marissa

Hey drnewcomb2!  That sounds like a major coverage gap.  I dropped pins in our map along US 23 in KY and I can see some places where we have LTE on 2100 operable with fair signal (so we'd expect a connection outdoors) like Staffordsville, but then I get what you mean - there are other areas along the route, like Paintsville, where it looks like we don't have anything to offer right now.  I know you've been around this forum for quite some time (thank you for that), so forgive me for asking what I'm sure is the predictable question at this point - but have you had a chance to file service inquiries for any of these areas?  Is this a route you travel frequently - have you noticed the signal worsening or improving - has it always been like this?  Which device are you using these days?

rangerstyle - it's such a bummer to have no signal in your workplace, especially these days when most of us spend most of our waking hours at work.  Do you work at the airport you mentioned?  I took a peek at your profile and I want to extend you a warm welcome to the Support Community!  Are you just new to the forum, or new to T-Mobile?

- Marissa

• drnewcomb2

Marissa, the issue is that T-Mobile believes (or pretends) they have much of the area covered, when in fact, they don't. These are two maps of roughly the same area. The first shows what I observed while driving down US-23. The other is T-Mobile's coverage map. Do you notice a difference? 

Pville1.jpg

Pville2.jpg

The phone I used on this trip is a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Avant, which has all T-Mobile's current bands.

My point is that if T-Mobile is going to show an area as covered, they should either provide coverage or permit roaming.

• tmo_marissa

I couldn't agree with you more, drnewcomb2 - we do not want an inaccurate map.  On the TMO.com map, zooming in with the Avant selected so you can see the shading showing difference in signal strength, we definitely show "Fair" LTE in the majority of the areas along US 23 that I looked at. 

map.PNG

Filing a service complaint is the escalation path to have an inconsistency like this examined by engineering, so that the map can be updated or issues in the area can be examined and corrected.  It's problematic not just for existing customers who may check the map before travelling, but certainly for new customers who may not test the network first.  We do rely on reports from our customers via service inquiries to direct network engineers to trouble spots.  I know it's not exactly what most of us would love to spend ten minutes of our afternoon doing - like, it's not quite the same as an afternoon sampling artisanal gelato at the new pop-up parlor down the street - but it does really help us out.  T-Force can file these tickets, too - you don't have to call in, by any means!  I can't remember from previous posts if you're a social media guy or not, but if you are able to get one in via Twitter that would certainly be a little faster!  Have you tested that out before?

- Marissa

• drnewcomb2

I follow Neville Ray on Twitter. He seems to be the most sensible member of upper management.

• rangerstyle

I know that when I was with another major carrier, they had a dedicated app for submitting poor signal/network issues. It would grab the GPS location, and pertinent system info. Then when there was sufficient signal, it would send the info to their tech teams.

Just an idea.    

• tmo_marissa

First - welcome!  Second, our objective is for our network to always get better, rangerstyle.  I know my family come to me for all of their troubleshooting needs, so I can definitely imagine that a drop in indoor coverage compared to a previous network experience would have them running to me. :/  I'm sorry that's what's happening for you guys.  If your main stress is home coverage, have you considered a booster or a router (if Wi-Fi calling is an option)?  I know our general footprint plan (and this is pretty public) is to increase low-band spectrum in as many locations nationwide as possible, so that we can offer superior in-building coverage because it penetrates structures better. 

The good thing about contacting our Tech team to talk this out is that sometimes they're able to look at our internal map and know that we're already working on modernization to increase low-band presence in an area.  Or when sending this kind of "service inquiry" ticket, engineering will sometimes respond with a date.  It's also possible that they'll return the ticket explaining that a particular location doesn't have direct coverage from the local tower, but then at least your inquiry will help us determine where that footprint needs to be increased.  We can also discuss coverage solution options with you, right fit you for equipment, and get something shipped to you if it will help you at home.

I think that the signal report app is an interesting idea, and I will definitely pass that feedback along.  I'm not sure if that's functionality we're looking to add to our app as is right now, but it couldn't hurt to recommend!

- Marissa

• rangerstyle

"New" (Within the last 6 months), and even newer to this forum. Thankfully most of my outdoor experience has been excellent with great speeds, but my whole family has bugged me about the lower quality of indoor use, and I keep telling them it's gotta get better...please tell me I'm right?!

• drnewcomb2

I live in an area lacking 700 MHz coverage. While my phone works fine in my home, I often have issues inside big box stores. Where these stores have customer WiFi, I will try to remember to log into the WiFi when I enter the store. This way my phone will fall back to WiFi Calling if I lose T-Mobile's signal.

T-Mobile's engineering team seems to have a very conservative network design philosophy . They do everything possible to preserve system capacity. This includes designing cells with minimal overlap and using the least power possible. (Remember that 3G & LTE cells all broadcast on the same frequencies in a given area) Cranking the power up degrades the network's capacity by introducing cochannel interference.