Why is my carrier Unlock taking forever?

deniselombriz

I paid off my phones a couple of weeks ago. I called and requested to have or phones unlocked on Friday. I was told it would be 24 hours and that I would get an email 24 hours later. I didn't so I called again. They told me they didn't know

why I was told 24 hours. When in fact. It's 5 days...... so I called again yesterday to ask

what the hold up was. Now they're telling me it could take 14 days. And that its

because apple is the ones who unlock the phone... can I call apple directly? i dont get why it's taking so long

All replies

• gramps28

Re: Why is my carrier Unlock taking forever?

Maybe the email ended up in your spam folder but you can try using apples instructions.

How to unlock your iPhone - Apple Support

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tidbits

How long have you had service?

If you just started service it takes 40 days to qualify for unlock. If approved it takes up to 48 hours and you need to use iTunes in most cases as you will not get an unlock code(Apples design). 

If you purchase and use prepaid you won't qualify until you have used $100.

• deniselombriz

I've had this phone for two years.

• e2k

Under the CTIA Mobile Wireless Device Unlocking Voluntary Commitment, to which T-Mobile is a signatory:

Within two business days after receiving a request, carriers will unlock eligible mobile wireless devices or initiate a request to the OEM to unlock the eligible device, or provide an explanation of why the device does not qualify for unlocking, or why the carrier reasonably needs additional time to process the request.

Thus, T-Mobile must provide a specific reason for the delay. They cannot simply drag their feet and/or give a generic response like, "It is taking longer than expected."

I suggest you work with T-Force to help resolve your issue.

To contact T-Force

Go to the Contact Us page and use the Facebook, Twitter or Google Plus link under in the “Social Support” section.

• stevetjr

e2k wrote:

Under the CTIA Mobile Wireless Device Unlocking Voluntary Commitment, to which T-Mobile is a signatory:

Within two business days after receiving a request, carriers will unlock eligible mobile wireless devices or initiate a request to the OEM to unlock the eligible device, or provide an explanation of why the device does not qualify for unlocking, or why the carrier reasonably needs additional time to process the request.

Thus, T-Mobile must provide a specific reason for the delay. They cannot simply drag their feet and/or give a generic response like, "It is taking longer than expected."

Hate to be the "technicality" guy but if you look exactly how that is worded what the carrier is responsible for is that within 48 hours they will unlock the device or initiate a request to the OEM.  Then it goes on to say or provide an answer as to why it doesn't qualify or why the carrier reasonably needs additional time to process the request.

Well as has been mentioned, Apple does the unlocking of the devices.  T-Mobile (or any carrier) just sends a request/approval to Apple to unlock it. So if T-Mobile sent the request/approval within the 48 hours then they have actually complied with the requirements if they sent the request to the OEM within the 48 hours, as far as I know there is nothing in the agreement that says how long the "OEM" has to comply with the request.  Now if the delay is on T-Mobile's end and they haven't sent the request then yes they have to provide "reasonable" reason for the delay although of course "reasonable" is obviously open to interpretation.

• tidbits

Are you expecting an unlock code?  You will not get one.  If you were approved and just never got the email then you are fine. 

You need to do How to unlock your iPhone - Apple Support

• tmo_mike_c

Hey deniselombriz.

Looks like you've gotten some great info from our awesome members. Any update on this at all? Have you gotten the phone unlocked? Please come back and let us know. Thanks!

• deniselombriz

I had service 2 years..I think. I wasn't a new customer.  But thanks for all the responses. The last agent I spoke with said they didn't know what the hold up was and to call apple. I called apple and they said T-Mobile had failed to unlock the phone and referred me back to T-Mobile. Everything is fine now though. I'm with Verizon. Don't know how to turn off this question. But thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone

• binhdoan

I'm having the same issue now. I'm going to cancel T-Mobile service before next billing period which will start soon. It has been 5 days since I called them to request for an unlock. I got an email confirming my unlock should have been completed within the first day since I requested and asked me to wait for 24hrs. After 24hrs, my phone was still locked. Then I called in multiple times, and I got multiple answers:

- "wait for another 24hrs"

- "asked my manager to escalate your situation. Done. I guarantee your phone will be unlocked within 24 hrs" but 3 days later, it is still locked!

- "nothing we can do, we have sent the request. Everything else must be from Apple end." Then I call Apple and got response "We - Apple cannot do anything in this situation. We cannot lock or unlock. It must be done from your carrier. Our system shows your phone is still locked to T-Mobile. You probably have to wait for another 24hrs".

- bla bla bla

"24hrs" is the common term here. Seems like they have to say so because of the CTIA commitment.

I'm so frustrated. Either the process is so complicated or they want to keep me for another billing period even when I'm not gonna use their service.

Tips:

- Never buy a locked phone if you pay full price

- If you have a locked phone, you should unlock it as soon as it meets all the requirements. Don't wait until last minutes.