I want to get rid of my AT&T U-Verse

lawddog@excite.com

I want to get rid of my AT&T U-Verse home internet. I have a smart phone with a hot spot. Can I use the hot spot as my primary source of internet for the house and all the contents like smart tv printer and desktop computer? Are there any problems that I should consider?

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Hey lawddog!

Thanks for reaching out! Great question! As much as I'd love to lure you away from AT&T full time, I'd want to get some more info about your home internet needs first before making a suggestion.

Do you have any idea of what your average internet use is per month? Do you do a lot of streaming or downloading? Are there multiple people using the web at once?

Thanks!

-Lauren

• tmo_marissa

Hi there! 

Just wanted to check in with you and see if you were still looking into the option of using your T-Mobile service to satisfy your home internet needs.  We'd love to hear a little more about what you're currently consuming so that we can make sure this would be a good fit!

- Marissa

• lawddog@excite.com

Yes I am still considering getting rid of my home DSL internet in favor of using the hot spot on my smart phone. Currently I am subscribed to the lowest data rate with the DSL line not certain how much that is. Will there be any impact to my bill with T-Mobile also will there be any problems with my computer due to the increased usage of data with my plan?

Thank You.

• tmo_marissa

Gotcha!  Those are understandable concerns, for sure.
                  The reason we're asking about your usage and household needs (what's your current plan, are there multiple folks using the web at the same time, do you download or stream video content or music) is because we don't offer any unlimited hotspot services, so before we really could recommend a package that would work for you - which would then dictate the potential impact to your bill - we'd like to know a little more about what you're using.  Not trying to be nosy, I swear!

Generally speaking, we don't recommend that a smartphone hotspot or standalone hotspot will work to replace most user's in home internet needs.  But there are totally exceptions to that!  Your best bet to determine whether you might need a larger data package to do this, which would of course impact your bill, would be to ask your current ISP if you can get an idea of your average usage over the past few months.  I don't see it potentially causing any issues with your computer, though - using your phone's hotspot is pretty much the same as using your existing Wi-Fi as far as your PC knows!

- Marissa