Parental Controls - schedules?

phinz13

Hello all,

I just signed up for the Parental Controls and would like some feedback on a problem I've run into before calling and getting transferred around.

I set up my kids phones in "schedules" to be blocked during certain time. I have added a list of phones that are always allowed. (adult family members)

problem is, I see that their data usage is still going up. does the schedules function only block calls & texts?? or is it also able to block data?? which is the main reason that I got this!

I know that they can still access wi-fi but I was hoping that the cellular date would be blocked (mainly at school, etc)

has anyone else had this problem?

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: Parental Controls - schedules?

Hey phinz13 Welcome to Support and thanks for reaching out!

You hit the nail on the head with your speculation around data. Family Allowances is designed to restrict calls and data and will not restrict data access, which sounds like what you were aiming for.

At this time, there's not an available option to block data from a device, either through T-Mobile or third party, otherwise I'd try to nudge you in the right direction.

Data being a primary resource on devices is becoming more and more prevalent and we've been doing our best to get requests like this passed along.

If there is anything I can help you with outside of answering this, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Lauren

• magenta3577466

I'd like to add my vote for this.

I have restricted time access on my local wifi network at home - it works great.

I thought t-mobile would restrict access to the entire network - voice/data/text - in parental controls.  having just voice/text is pretty much useless and actually worse.  now instead of having houseparty/snapchat/insta/etc going over my wifi - it goes over the tmobile data network...and defeats the purpose of my setting up restrictions in the first place.

the parental controls time schedule is basically a joke until this gaping hole is plugged - it will definitely be a large consideration in my potentially switching carriers.

• blue3917411

T-Mobile needs to add to the feature! Its almost deceptive the way its worded " To block all usage for a certain time of day, click on the bar"  conveniently leaving out the fact that it does NOT block data usage! I have unlimited data on these lines, I just want to restrict my kids from the internet when they should be sleeping!

TMO_Lauren is says "Family Allowances is designed to restrict calls and data and will not restrict data access" - isn't data and data access the same thing?!?!? Were you trying to say "calls and messaging" ???

Seemed like a great feature, but without blocking data (or 'data access'), its all but useless to me!

I am currently trying to find another cell company other than T mobile because I cant limit the usage of my kids phone.  This makes me so God DAmn mad.

its false advertising that t mobile says that you can limit usage on your kids phones when the truth is      YOU CAN NOT !! 

EVERY  IDIOT THAT WORKS FOR T MOBILE SAYS THAT YOU CAN LIMIT YOUR KIDS PHONES WITH BLOCKS AND TIME ALLOWANCES.  THAT IS NOT TRUE.   MY 12 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER IS RUINING HER LIFE WITH HER PHONE USAGE.  SOCIAL MEDIA AND TEXTING. 

THEY DONT EVEN NEED A CARIER,  ALL THEY DO IS GET ON WI FI ANYWHERE THEN CRUISE THE NET AND SOCIAL MEDIA

• tidbits

Simply Parent up and take that phone away and give her a basic phone. 

My usage stuff works fine when I had my kids on my plan.  I believe it doesn't work on iPhones iirc.  Also as you find out carriers can't control wifi usage.

• nelfar212

Tidbits I suggested the very same thing on another thread, it's funny how some had no issues to try an stand up to my via a keyboard than their own children. It's real simple as you and I suggested take the phone.problem solved, if they want their phone back I assure you they won't be on SC/FB/Twitter/instagram  etc all night once they know you mean business. My 12 y/o just got her phone back only to have it taken again for not doing her chores. 

• magenta5159513

I agree with everyone else. This is  being falsely advertised as a way to completely limit/restrict use and if you can’t block data, it’s useless.  T-Mobile needs to step up their game here or I’m going to look for another provider who can provide this service. Get with the times, T-Mobile!

• mp5727

Not good at all T-mobile. Not happy with not being able to control the data usage on my kids phone. I can turn off wifi but they still have full access to data. I switched from Sprint which was a big mistake. I thought that T-mobile would have this necessary feature available like Sprint does but unfortunately I was wrong.