Carrier Update 28.3 Breaks VPNs

norm.nyc

is anyone else having this problem? I was running Privacy Pro with NordVPN without any problems until this morning. It is T-Mobile carrier update 28.3, but if I have both running, Spotify and the App Store (and other apps) cannot connect to the cellular network. I can still run both VPNs on wifi, so it is definitely the T-Mobile update. Any solutions?

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Carrier Update 28.3 Breaks VPNs

Do you mean you are running both at the same time?

• tmo_chris

Hey norm.nyc

Do you have an iPhone 7 by chance? If so, did you recently update to iOS 10.3? With the release of 10.3, Apple has removed PPTP VPN. If either of your VPN services use PPTP, you may need to contact them directly and have them review the changes that Apple is making.

• norm.nyc

Hi Chris. Thanks for the information.  I do have an iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3. However both VPNs work on wifi and I only have the issue when trying to connect to TMobile's network. If it was a problem with Apple's update, wouldn't there be a problem regardless of if I am on wifi or T-Mobile's network?

Thanks again.

• tmo_chris

So, it is possible that your home ISP uses IPv4 for data communication where the T-Mobile network is iPv6. I do not know much about the protocols that Nord and Privacy pro use but Apple is also transitioning to iPv6-only network services. If Nord and Privacy pro are looking for an iPv4 connection, you will not be able to connect using the T-Mobile network.

• norm.nyc

Hmm. Thanks for the info.  I don't think that is the answer though since I able to connect to the TM network with NordVPN or with Privacy Pro seperately. It's only when I try and use them both together there is an issue. If one VPN was looking for an IPv4 connection(and not finding it), I would think that only that single VPN wouldn't work.

• navai

We are having problems with Tmobile carrier update 28.3 and iOS 10.3 (may or may not be iOS related). Problem is that this carrier update can only support IPV6. So if your system (what even it is) is not able to support IPV6, then it fails. We had this issue with Tmobile a while back about few months ago. They released carrier update 27.2 and fixed the problem meaning that if you were connected to their data or 4G network, they would assign both IPV4 and IPV6. Now it seems like they have gone back to supporting IPV6 only. Can Tmobile tell us why they did this?

• tmo_chris

So Apple themselves are transitioning to IPv6 only network services. Whatt this means for the iOS update is that apps/sites with broken IPv6 implementation will not work. While IPv6 is required for apps, IPv4-only websites will work fine.

• navai

Hi Chris, I just tried an AT&T iPhone with OS 10.3 and it reports Carrier version AT&T 28.3. But it works with our app/cloud just fine when I turn off wifi and use 4G. So it must be something different about Tmobile. Is the AT&T carrier version 28.3 different than Tmobile?

• norm.nyc

HI Chris

I really think this is a T-Mobile issue And has nothing to do with Apple's focus on IPv4/IPv6.

On an iPhone 7 with the new iOS 10.3

If connected to T-Mobile's network:

1) Only NordVPN - no problem

2) Only Privacy Pro - no problem

3) NordVPN + Privacy Pro - does not connect to the network

If connected to WiFi network (home, office, or public):

1) Only NordVPN - No problem

2) Only Privacy Pro - No problem

3) NordVPN + Privacy Pro - No problem

If this was an iOS problem or a software problem, I should have the same issues when connecting to wifi, but I don't.

• tmo_chris

So with Apple stating its goal is to be IPv6-only, T-Mobile is assisting them in this endeavor by only supporting IPv6 traffic with the recent update. While the issues you are having are due to the update we pushed out, the resolution is going to be your apps/VPN clients updating to support IPv6-only. 

• dudleyj

I haven't been able to use my work VPN since 28.3... why does T-Mobile insist on breaking many connections for many people unnecessarily?

We have Cisco/Meraki appliances (I'm sure we aren't the only ones) and their documentation states: "Cisco Meraki security appliances can pass IPv6 traffic in pass-through mode, but no traffic analysis or manipulation is possible when using IPv6. At this time, IPv6 traffic cannot be routed or passed along a VPN tunnel."

I don't understand why this is a big deal for T-Mobile to simply roll out a carrier update that allows both IPV4 & IPV6?

• guilou

Not a useful test as AT&T is IPv4 only and not IPv6, so obviously it will work.

• snn_555

X-VPN still works on my 10.3 / 28.3.

• navai

Can we ask Tmobile to roll the carrier update back to the one that supported both IPV4/IPV6? This is causing a lot of headache for us as our customers are unable to connect to our cloud using their Tmobile 4G service. I understand that we eventually need to move to IPV6 but I think Tmobile should give some time frame before turning off something that they know will cause problem.

Thanks

• tmo_chris

We greatly appreciate the feedback! I cannot make any promises but I will definitely make sure your voice is heard.

• terry0824

Hi Chris,

I am also experiencing the same problem. As a network engineer myself, I am 100% sure that the issue is created by the settings in 28.3 carrier profile.

This new profile does not only break VPN, but also breaks several apps' connectivity. And for VPN, it's not only 3rd party VPN applications, but also the original VPN function comes with iOS itself. It is a incorrect statement you made that Apple is moving forward to IPv6 only.

Only a fraction of Internet services are on IPv6 now, it is not a wise move to hijack your customers' experience, and ask your customers to push the service providers to move onto IPv6 - there's literally nothing we can do to push big companies to change anything. The only thing we have control is MOVING TO ANOTHER CARRIER.

Thanks,

Terry

• tomiy1

I couldn't agree more...I have a few apps that are now unusuable thanks to the new carrier update that deals with IPv6,

(iTeleport/easyFTP Pro/Spashtop/Air Video HD)  They should have given the app developers more time to prepare for this.  I highly recommend T-Mobile goes back to a hybrid mode for the time being.

• timmytonga

I am dismayed to see that not only is this a move being forced by Apple, T-Mobile is colluding with them to make this change happen. I am a tech journalist who communicates with sources on the move. And since I can't talk securely to my sources, but I already paid for T-Mobile, then I am just going to have to report what has been said on these forums in the meantime.

I wonder what T-Mobile is getting in exchange for helping Apple maneuver against IPV4 businesses.

• snn_555

TunnelBear and BetterNet work for me on 10.3.1. Had to use VPN to see my cameras remotely.

• snn_555

Concerning security cameras. I can connect via wifi fine. I can connect over LTE ONLY via VPN.   So. My VPNs work but my ISP is IPv4 only. Way Out West. WOW. Even TWC had IPv6.

• guilou

I'm having the same problem since the carrier update 28.3,

Everything works with the Same T-Mobile SIM  on Android Galaxy S7 (L2TPVPN, Surveillance CAMs/NVRs, Softphone SIP APP registration, RolliPet  feeder app,..etc  )

Everything Breaks when putting the sim card in IOS devices with 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 (used IPhone 6S plus and 5s iPhones )

Unlike the Android, the iPhone is trying to use IPv6 when talking to IPv4 devices only! The Android is also on IPv6 but is smart enough to switch to IPv4 when talking to IPV4 only devices and applications. why take the backward compatibility from the iPhone, is just beyond me....it's not like the world is ready to embrace IPv4 or run out of IP address, that what NAT/PAT is for.

If this continue, I will have not choice but switch carrier, Phones or both.

• guilou

Carrier update 28.4 was just release and unfortunately it's disappointing, they don't seem to have addressed the support for IPv4 nor they have the intention of doing so from my conversation with their support. .

Same issue VPN is broken, it's official T-mobile network with IOS devices can't be used for business and enterprise use. over 90% of the network is IPv4 and it will stay this way at least for the next 5 years if not more, due the backward incompatibility between the two protocols (IPv4 and IPv6 are completely different  and share only the name "IP"). Who needs IPv6 with NAT, private network, VRFs...etc.

The only solution left is to switch to ATT and or Android devices. I can't have a service and phone manufacturer dictate my business needs. it should be the other way around! 

• timmytonga

Yep. It's pretty obvious they are intentionally ignoring us, too, because this is an old thread, you and I (and others) have unsuccessfully attempted to escalate the issue, and they refuse to acknowledge our needs.

To the contrary, they have stated they are "working with Apple" on this, so it looks like some kind of inter-industry deal with the Devil is going on, and they don't give a "flip" about us.

I am beginning to believe they don't care if it breaks our individual, specialized needs as long as it guarantees the rest of the people trying to use VPN give up their encryption in the name of convenience. After all, that's the sweetest, most profitable data set of them all: the data we wish to hide.

• guilou

My case with Apple got escalated to the top engineers and account manger, and they stated that T-Mobile is the one that control the setting hey push via the carrier updates.

Unlike T-mobile horrible support (with your out of luck attitude),  Apple's support at least tried to provide a solution and suggested to use their MDM (I have yet to try it) to push the APN profile and carrier setting the supports IPv4.

It became clear that this is a T-mobile issue, as the iPhone is capable of IPv4 when used other carriers and on wifi.

Also T-mobile on Android phone work just fine.  so T-mobile is the one forcing iPhone users to IPv6 only!!!

so if you talk to a T-Mobile support don't believe the brush off answer that's it is apples problem.

• tlam2o

The Carrier profile update v28.x is set to IPv6 ONLY.

The bigger reason is T-Mobile lock of IPv4 Address. For increase of number of users, they have to switch over to IPv6.

If you need to use IPv4, Just switch to different carrier.

T-Mobile ignored the VOC completed!