LG Aristo will not make calls sometimes

shamusangus

My sister just got her new Aristo.

During the initial setup she turned off wifi calling and tested it. She was able to make calls the first day.

Starting the 2nd day it will sometimes not make calls. She said it had the message 'Calls can only be made wifi'. So we turned it off again. It was able to make calls for a while, then it stopped again. She will dial, but the phone just sits there not connecting. Texting and browsing is OK, just not calls.

This has been happening off and on since she got the phone last week. I walked her through all the settings I can think of, but nothing seems to be a permanent fix. Anybody else see this?

Discussion moved from Other Android Discussions to LG Discussions - Marissa

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hey shamusangus!  It's so nice of you to reach out for help for your sister, I'm sorry that so far it doesn't seem we've had much input.  Is she having trouble placing outgoing calls in one particular place, or everywhere she goes?  Does this happen no matter what contact she's trying to call? 

- Marissa

• tmo_chris

Re: LG Aristo will not make calls sometimes

Hey there! Just checking in to see if your sister phone is still having issues. Please let us know

• shamusangus

Hi, sorry I did not reply sooner.

Yes she is still having issues. She has tried it on two different LG Aristo phones. I bought 2, one for my sister the other for mom. I've attached a picture of the message that appears when she tries to make calls. I confirmed wifi calling is truned off. We also just applied a system update a few days ago but the issue remains.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks,

Chris

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• tmo_chris

Thanks for replying Your picture didn't come through unfortunately. Are you getting the same issue when trying to use the phone in another location?  How many bars of T-Mobile signal does the phone show that you have when you try to make a call?

• shamusangus

The problem seems to occur randomly.

If she reboots the phone it will sometimes work, and it happens at random locations. Home, driving, shopping centers, etc.

When she gets the error box to connect to wi-fi she said there are no bars for the T-MOBILE signal.

This is the message that appears on the screen when she cannot make calls.

"Connect to Wi-Fi

Cannot connect to the mobile network. To make calls, connect to wi-fi.

Cancel      Settings"

This is the same message that appeared on the other phone as well.

• tmo_chris

So it sounds like the phone is just intermittently losing signal. Since we have gone through 2 different Aristo phones, we can safely say it is not an issue with the device. With this happening in multiple locations and being intermittent, it could be 1 of 2 things. First, it could be an issue with the T-Mobile signal in a specific area. Do you know if she is near other T-Mobile users at the time it fails and if those other users are having the same issue? It could also be an issue with the SIM card which is something that we can also verify if there are other T-Mobile users near her that are not having the same issue in the same place she is.

• shamusangus

I installed and activated the mew sim card today.

If there are no problems in a few days the issue may be fixed.

• shamusangus

We've tried a new SIM card and the problem still occurs. I guess at this point we need to try a new phone. Can I return these phones to the store or do I have to return them through the mail since that is how I received them?

• tmo_marissa

Hey shamusangus!  At this point, I believe you'd be outside of the Buyer's Remorse period, so instead of completing a return we'd be helping you  Exchange a device under warranty.  We can absolutely do this for you in store if that's the closest option for you - you can stop in with the equipment, we'll look it over and order a replacement which will be shipped to the store.  When you return to pick it up, you would pay a warranty processing fee and leave the defective device there - our staff will handle sending it back for you.
                                    All this is if the phone is truly defective, though - I do just want to make sure you'd had a chance to consider what my colleague Chris suggested above about the intermittent loss of signal - he asked a few questions that might help clarify whether or not the issue is with the network.  While I'd hate for that to be the case, I'd also hate for you to replace a device that isn't actually problematic.    Do you think that the problem could simply be connectivity on our end?

- Marissa

• shamusangus

I think we tried everything everyone has mentioned.

• 2 new SIM cards.
                                        • Same model, different phone.
                                        • Network and Factory Reset.
                                        • Other T-Mobile users do not have a similar issue, regardless of phone manufacturer or model. They will be in the same location at the same time, both of the LG Aristo phones do experience the issue while the other phones will not have any problems.
                                        • Home Wi-Fi rebooted and reset.
                                        • Phone case off and on.
                                        • Rebooting the phone only works as a short-term solution.
                                        • Updated Software and Apps to latest versions.
                                        • Texting, email, Web browsing, etc all work except phone calls.

It's weird that it only happens with phone calls, and only with this model phone. Every other model phone on the T-Mobile network has never had this issue. Could it be an issue with this particular model?

Here is a screen shot of the error message she receives when trying to make a phone call, if I make a call from my phone at the same time & place it goes through without an issue.

LG Aristo Error Msg.jpg

• tmo_marissa

I do think it's strange.  There are basically a few possible reasons that your phone would work in a place and hers would not - either her SIM was faulty (you've ruled that out), her device is faulty (remains to be seen), or it may be that your phones are compatible with different frequencies, and we have one servicing an area but not the other.  What kind of phone are you using - I tried searching back through the thread and maybe I missed it - but do you also have an Aristo, or something else?

- Marissa

• shamusangus

I am currently using a Galaxy S7. In the past I used a J7, Galaxy S3 and a couple other Samsung models. The previous model my sister used was an LG L90, and a few other models by ZTE, Samsung and Alcatel. Her husband and other family members used a variety of different model phones from various manufacturers, none ever had this issue.

For the last couple days she cannot make any calls again, but text and internet are fine on the T-Mobile network. She tried resetting the Aristo again but that is no longer working. It's frustrating that literally ever other phone she has never experienced as many problems. The only common factor seems to be the new model LG Aristo. ☹

Am I correct in thinking that because we have been trying to correct this issue more than 30 days neither phone can no longer be returned?

-Chris

• tmo_marissa

I'm so sorry, Chris - that's a laundry list of equipment that did work, so I have to agree it sounds like the Aristo is the issue.  When your sister was testing the one that you purchased for your mom, I know her issues were the same.  Did your mom ever use that phone, and if so, did she have the same problems?  Are they located in the same place? Regarding returns, it does sound like you would be past the Buyer's Remorse period.  At any point during this process have you had a chance to Contact Us and review the issue with our Tech team over the phone?  I don't see known issues for connectivity listed for the Aristo at this time - but perhaps troubleshooting this with them would lead to a warranty replacement.  The odds of getting two defective devices seem pretty slim to me, for sure, but nothing's impossible!

- Marissa

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see if you had a chance to review @tmo_marissa's questions. Let us know.

• tmo_marissa

Hi shamusangus!  Just stopping by to see how things are going here.

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hey shamusangus - I know you've been working tirelessly on this. I asked a few more questions that might help us determine whether the issue is isolated to a certain location or the equipment itself. We'd also love to know if you had a chance to reach out to our Tech team for insight on the primary location where your sister's using the phones. If you've got a second to update us, we'd love to know how you're doing!

- Marissa