perxam

How can I prevent fraudulent porting of my phone number?

My friend's T-Mobile number got ported out and the fraudulent porting happened with just his account number and address.

Do you have a PIN for locking my account?

If so, how can I set it up?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Prevent fraudulent porting with PIN

Good morning perxam!  That's a terrible thing to read about your friend - it shouldn't be possible for numbers to be ported (in or out) without the account number and PIN or password (and sometimes additional details as well).  If you have a prepaid account, you should already have a PIN - if you are postpaid, you should have a security measure we'd request when you call in to discuss your account.  If right now there's just the default, you're welcome to add an additional password as well - simply Contact Us and we're happy to work with you to make sure you're comfortable with the security level.  Thank you, and my sympathies to your friend!  I hope we were able to get his number back for him quickly.

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Re: Prevent fraudulent porting with PIN

I'm so confused!  Even on Fi's page that you linked to, it mentions that the requirements to port are as follows:

• Name of the account owner
          • Account number from your current carrier—You can find this on your last bill.
          • Account PIN or passcode—Some carriers require this information to verify that you own the number. We’ll use this info for the transfer only. We won’t store or use it for any other purpose.
          • Your social security number (for some carriers)
          • Billing address of the account owner (for some carriers)

I know that when we port out/in, we require not just the account information but the PIN or password and sometimes the other two as well.  I wish I could explain why/how we would release a number/Fi would accept it with less than that - but I'm definitely glad he's in the right hands now!

- Marissa