Poor coverage in Pagosa Springs, CO

wbc

I feel betrayed. A couple weeks ago I switched from AT&T and in Albuquerque, NM service has been good. But, when I travel to my family's vacation home in Pagosa Springs, CO there is no service when the coverage maps state there should be.

In the screen shot below T-Mobile shows there should be coverage. I wasn't expecting miracles, but was expecting at least a bar or two of signal to read some news sites. I'm not even asking for YouTube, just the ability to read news.

I got on T-Mobile chat via my work hotspot and the rep basically said I'm not reading the map right, I have to zoom in to a checkbox. Did Steve Jobs get resurrected from the dead? Next time I have a problem is T-Mobile going to tell me I'm not holding my phone right? If you're showing pink one would expect coverage. Where there is white I expect there is no coverage. T-Mobile shows the entire resort area of Pagosa Springs having coverage but everywhere left of the blue line in my screen shot has no coverage. Not even a bar, really, no coverage.

While on chat I zoomed in and clicked on a checkbox right across the street from our house, still shows I should have cell reception at least outdoors. My screenshots do not show the exact location but the shad of pink is the same.

When I follow the link about 4G LTE device compatibility it brings me to the page that states the iPhone 7 is supported and I should be eating cake and ice cream because T-Mobile has expanded their 4G LTE network to cover the area. This is why I switched, I believed T-Mobile that I would have coverage at the place I go a couple times a month.

I'm venting here, not much I can do unless a new tower is deployed? Time to switch back to AT&T so I can use the free iPhone 7s we got. At least with AT&T I had a couple bars...

2017-03-28 12_33_31-4G LTE Coverage Map _ Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage _ T-Mobile.png

2017-03-28 12_32_52-4G LTE Coverage Map _ Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage _ T-Mobile.png

2017-03-28 12_31_08-Coverage compatible device list _ LTE _ 1900 Band 2.png

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: Poor coverage in Pagosa Springs, CO

Oi, well, that's certainly a frustrating situation. Are you entirely without signal? Zero, zilch, nada? How far do you have to travel from the input address until you do get signal?

-Lauren

• wbc

No signal, nothing at all throughout that whole area where the lakes are. Once on highway160 I'll pick up signal probably close to where the deeper reds are on the coverage map.

The area with the lakes are probably 400 to 500 feet higher so terrain is probably blocking the signal. With that said, more of he Pagosa population lives up the hill then travels to the town when shopping, etc.

• tmo_marissa

This is such a bummer to read, wbc.  I don't blame you for feeling swindled - it sounds like you understand the potential environmental impact that the area itself might present, but we want our map to be accurate, all the same. 
            Has anything improved here?  Just wondering if there's a possibility that an outage could have been causing the gap in the expected coverage and what you're receiving.  If so, awesome.  If not, we'd love it if you could Contact Us and work with our Tech team to file a Service Inquiry for the area so that our engineering team can investigate potential issues with equipment causing this disparity!  We want you to enjoy your service every day out of the month - including those when you're getting away. 

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hey there!  I just wanted to touch base and see if you'd noticed any improvement in this area or if you'd had the opportunity to contact us and have a service inquiry filed.  How is everything going for you?

- Marissa

• wbc

I haven't made it back up there yet. But, I can say this is the normal for the area. My sister and husband had to switch away from T-Mobile a few years back due to no service at their place and poor service once you get close to town. My nephew was there with me the weekend I went up and he didn't have service either.

I was hoping the coverage map's claim for the new much improved LTE would have improved the service but it didn't.

• tmo_marissa

Ouch.  I'm sorry to read that!  It stinks to hear that we couldn't support your family's needs and that we let you down with the map's current representation of the area.  We'd love for you to report this to engineering with that service inquiry I was mentioning - since we don't have account access here we're unable to file them, and I definitely want this feedback to get to the right folks - because if the map isn't accurate, we need to look into why that is and what needs to be done to fix it!  I know it's not always easy to find time to reach out over the phone - our T-Force team can file one of these tickets via DM or PM in Twitter or Facebook if you're active in social networking!

- Marissa

• leighclemons

Me too. I have 5 bars and all calls pop up with "Emergency Calls Only"...   My friend has Verizon and gets 4G and 2 bars but can still make calls. What is this emergency calls only anyway?