Branched to a new discussion.

Inbound calls to virtual number are inconsistent in minutes+data mode

jpyle490

Hello,

I'm testing a new virtual number on two devices.  One is an off-net iPhone configured "Use Data Only", and the other is my T-Mobile iPhone configured for "Use Minutes and Data".  I've noticed sometimes inbound calls to the virtual don't ring the T-Mobile iPhone, while they always ring the off-net one.  It's as if my voice registration for the virtual is getting lost.

Any thoughts?

- Jeff

All replies

• jpyle490

Additional info:  My primary GSM number is inactive on all DIGITS clients, and continues to ring my iPhone as expected.  Its registration is solid over either T-Mobile WiFi or VoLTE.

- Jeff

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

Just wanted to ask, is this still an issue? Do you still have a solid network connection when you notice the problem? Please keep us posted on this. Thanks!

• jpyle490

Hi Mike,

It's still an issue.

You may recall from previous messages I have the DIGITS app on two phones:  a T-Mobile iPhone 6s and a Verizon iPhone.  The T-Mo one is running in minutes+data mode and the Verizon one, no surprise, is running data only.

I placed a test call a moment ago to the virtual number from a PSTN line.  The Verizon iPhone showed the call from the DIGITS app and the T-Mo iPhone showed nothing.  I do get the missed call notification on both phones (since I didn't answer the call on the DIGITS side).  Immediately after I placed a call to the T-Mobile GSM number from the PSTN and it rang in fine.

Connectivity at the moment is WiFi, solid enough for excellent performance of the T-Mobile WiFi calling tunnel.  I've noticed the WiFi tunnel is quite the canary -- if there's any network hiccup whatsoever and just one or two IPSec keepalives don't make it through, that tunnel is the first thing to go.  Generally speaking, the tunnel is solid for me.  I don't think this is an issue of connectivity.

Just for kicks I turned off WiFi, waited a few moments for things sync up, and ran my test calls again.  Same results.  That was with VoLTE @ -102 according to Mr iPhone.

One more test.  I opened the DIGITS app on the T-Mo iPhone, waited a second or two for it to normalize, then closed the app (double-clicked the home button and slid the app up to completely close it).  I made another PSTN test call to the virtual number, and this time it rang in correctly on both phones.

This sure smells like a registration refresh issue to me.  Thoughts?

- Jeff

• stevew407

Wow Nice Jeff,

I try similar things and cannot quite get them this well done and documented. Also you have some other knowledge while I keep trying and do learn slowly at 64 it is a challenge and just want things to work........which in Beta I guess is the goal? The inconsistencies make it diffiuclt, but I am seeing more improvement slowly, like with most of the tech today??  The wifi and strength definitely are an issue!!!  Thanks and wish I had MORE TIME to devote to all of this, it is a slow process.

• jpyle490

Steve,

My day job is voice network engineering.  I deal with VoIP and SIP on a daily basis, and to a lesser extent IMS, the glue that holds DIGITS together in a lot of ways.  In other words, I have some background knowledge that helps explain some of the symptoms I'm seeing.  I'm not a T-Mobile employee, nor have I ever worked on the DIGITS system specifically, but I can make some guesses and inferences.  Whether those guesses are right or wrong doesn't matter too much as long as I can get useful data to the people who truly know the specifics.  And I too love learning about the ways folks are putting new technologies to use.  If it worked right out of the box, so to speak, what fun would that be?  Ha!

- Jeff

• tmo_mike_c

Hey jpyle490.

I sent you  a private message to collect some info for a bug report. You can use this link to get to it: https://support.t-mobile.com/inbox

Please reply back to that message, thanks.

• cooleyim

Hi Mike!

I'm having the same issue. I'm using digits on a WiFi only Galaxy S6 and it works perfect on there. I am also using it on a S7 (this is my primary phone with a working SIM) with the same exact issue as Jeff. Sometimes, when I have the patience, I uninstall and reinstall. But that's tiring. I have already printed my digits number on business cards so I'm hoping I can get this.resolved and get some functionality (full time) from my digits. Thanks!

• stevew407

Thanks for the update!

Steven

• debjitjdv

tmo_mike_c tmo_chris jpyle490 I reported same bug via Bug ID 1857 and Bug ID 1858 almost 1.5 weeks ago. No resolution still far. My guess its something related to provisioning at the back end. Because I have two numbers with TMobile and for one number everything is working related to DIGITS as it is supposed to work but for the other nothing is working. Looks like the for the other number, DIGITS backend / DIGITS server is not identifying the number. Its looks like a setup issue.

• tmo_marissa

Hey there folks - I know debjitjdv has reported this and the DIGITS team has been working on it, and Mike reached out and filed one bug report - did everyone else experiencing this get one filed?  cooleyim have you had a chance to report this through the team over the phone or do we need to get a bug report filed for you?

- Marissa

• jpyle490

@tmo_marissa  -  I've been off the grid for a while, but on a fresh iPhone with a fresh DIGITS install, this is still occurring.  In fact, it's occurring right now.  Calls to my virtual number go to VM even though call to my GSM number ring through fine.  Apparently we haven't made much progress.  That's concerning considering the beta is over in a few days.  This is a fundamental function that needs to "just work".

- Jeff

• tmo_marissa

Welcome back, and I definitely agree, jpyle490! I know you've been away for a bit (I hope having a grand adventure), but is the message tmo_mike_c sent you still in your inbox? Did we get a bug report filed that we could perhaps return to and reopen? If not, I'm happy to PM you and get one in the works.

- Marissa

• jpyle490

tmo_marissa, tmo_mike_c mentioned he filed a bug report on April 5 but he didn't provide any IDs.  I haven't heard anything since.

- Jeff

• tmo_mike_c

Hey jpyle490.

You should be able to get those calls consistently when the app on the T-Mobile phone is open/running. It's only when the app is closed out that DIGITS won't work. Seems like you're having to open then close the app on your T-Mobile phone in order for calls to come through on both lines. Are you still having to do that or can you just leave DIGITS open on the T-Mobile phone and get your calls consistently? I do still have your ticket open and we'll continue to work on this.

• jpyle490

tmo_mike_c - no, that's not correct.  Not according to the test I just ran and the observations I've made.  I think you're confusing it with "Use Data Only" mode.  (Read on for full details.)

Here's what I did.  I placed a test call from the PSTN to my virtual number.  It went straight to voicemail the virtual number's voicemail.  I restarted the DIGITS app, and placed another test call.  The call came through.  Good.  I then force-closed the DIGITS app, waited a minute or so, and placed another test call.  The call still rang in!  Whether the app is running doesn't impact the phone's ability to receive calls.  Keep in mind all this is under "Use Minutes and Data" mode only.

I've been watching my phone's network traffic during all of this.  The only traffic that hits it during an inbound call to the virtual number is T-Mobile WiFi Tunnel traffic.  The packet patterns look suspiciously like the tunneled SIP INVITE transaction that starts an inbound call to my GSM number...which makes sense since it's kind of the same thing.

In fact, it may be exactly the same thing.  I noticed today I've lost the ability to distinguish between inbound calls to my GSM number and inbound calls to my DIGITS virtual number.  They appear exactly the same on the inbound call screen and in the iPhone call history.  That wasn't the case previously.  In fact, when I redial a call to my virtual number from my call history, the call is made from my GSM number.  This is the case whether the digits app is running or not.  This seems to be related to DIGITS' not using Apple's CallKit for integration.  Can you confirm that?

If the app is running I will get a missed call alert from the app in addition to the phone on a missed call to my virtual number.  This alert, and some HTTPS traffic to a T-Mobile IP to drive it, are the only differences I see with the app running.

Also, unrelated to this issue, I find the DIGITS app creating random entries in my contact list and assigning them random tags.  "home", "mobile", etc.  I'm going to remove the DIGITS app's ability to access my contacts until this is addressed.  When I have time I'll do more testing and start a new support thread (assuming one doesn't exist already - I haven't looked yet).

And while I'm whining about unrelated issues, I'll mention that outbound calls from the DIGITS app itself now pop a dialog requiring me to allow a call to a changing 413-417-xxxx T-Mobile-owned number.  It's clearly using that as a dial-thru, which is fine, but it used to "just work" without the extra step.

Returning to this issue... this still seems like a back-end registration problem to me.  Re-stated, I can continue to receive calls in "Use Minutes and Data" up to a certain point, then it doesn't work anymore.  That sounds like a textbook registration expiration.  Just for kicks I'll leave the app running for a few hours and see if my inbound calls still work.  In other words, does leaving the front-end app backgrounded refresh the back-end registration?  We'll see soon.

Alright, let's switch to "Use Data Only" mode.  In this case, yes, I have to have the app running.  That's disappointing since it'll eat through battery much more quickly that way.  Apparently T-Mobile hasn't set up an interface with Apple and Google for push notifications.  That's how other VoIP applications work that I use daily, offerings from Counterpath and Acrobits to be specific.  Is this on the roadmap?

- Jeff

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for the very detailed and thorough reply jpyle490.

I have all the numbers and specifics of the devices you're using with DIGITS and I'll have engineers revisit the calling issue with your virtual number. Here's what I'll need. With the tests you've been doing recently, do you have times and dates in which you've called from your PSTN line and they routed to voicemail? If so, please reply with those in the private message in your inbox.

As for the app creating the random line label entries, I'm curious, are you syncing the contacts from another source? Like a social media's contact management system? Or, are these contacts just saved to the phones internal memory after you initially entered them?

I'd like to help solve the mystery of that dialog box you see popping up. Can you post a screenshot of it so we can see exactly where it's coming from? That'll help us sort that out and we'll see if we can find a solution to get that to stop happening. Thanks so much!