1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2017 12:12 PM by terminalfool

LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps

jimbabwe2

Just set up my LineLink a few days ago.

It regularly drops both incoming and outgoing calls after a variable amount of time, always preceded by 3 beeps.

I've checked my connection speed and quality and it meets the T-Mobile standards.

Tech Support doesn't know what's wrong.

Anyone else had this problem?  What was the solution?

• 1. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
          tmo_amanda

Hmmm. Ya stumped us, jimbabwe2! Let me see if we can get this figured out.

-What type of internet connection are you using (Cable Internet, DSL, Public WiFi, or FiOS)?

-Do you have a computer or laptop connected to the internet at home? If so, please go to www.dslreports.com/speedtest and let me know the ping, upload and download speeds along with the QoS percentage.

Once I have that info, we can take a closer look if that's the reason for the random dropped calls or if it's something else.

• 2. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
            pchevallier

Finally!

And T-Mobile told me no one else but me was running into this issue. It has been going on for weeks. I've called and filed numerous tickets with customer service and "engineering" keeps coming back with NTF (No trouble found). I had to pay an RMA for a problem that wasn't mine. I knew that from the get go. So got a new unit, and bingo; same issue.  This is insane. I don't think they have a clue on how to debug this thing. I've been hitting my head against the wall with these guys. Great customer support though, but terrible engineering.  I am a former telecom engineer for a major Telco equipment manufacturer working in R&D research lab, and as such one of the very early adopters of SIP, H248/MEGACO protocols 15 years ago, so needless to say that I kind of know my way around these things.

So, I finally decided to cut the chase. I took the bull by the horns and inserted a Raspberry Pi as GW with wireshark analyzer on it to trace the problem at the protocol level. Interesting, but without more access to the software that seems to be patent protected, there isn't much I can do to nail down what is exactly going on and offer a fix.

That said, I now have some traces that capture the dropped call and ready to transfer to engineering and troubleshoot the issue. Happy to transfer the document to anyone at T-Mobile interested.  

• 3. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
              jimbabwe2

pchevallier,

I made the technical support people aware of your post.  Hopefully, someone has contacted you so you may provide the technical data you've acquired.

I've told tech support that I don't wish to pursue replacement or troubleshooting of the device on my end, since my ISP has checked my connection and assured me of its quality.  Based on your experience, it seems to be either a device-wide issue or an issue with the software on T-Mobile's servers.

• 4. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                pchevallier

Thank you for making them aware of it. 

I agree with your approach. It's not a device issue. I had to go through this process myself and at my own expenses, to prove this point.

Just so you know, as of today, I'm still supposed to receive a follow up call from someone of customer care @TMO this week and if that happen, I will offer the traces I captured with the dropped-calls in it. It's impossible for me to go any further and troubleshoot the issue unless I get the private keys. Which they won't share with me for obvious reaons. 

To me, it's just a bug somewhere between the SW running on the Linelink device and their media gateway server at TMO (with an additional gateway platform in between that is where the bug resides IMHO), and I'd be more than happy to assist them troubleshooting this issue with their R&D.

I'm not sure this "community platform" is very useful others than realizing we have similar issues among each others but I'm hoping that the more we are to complain about this issue, the higher it will go into their priority list.

• 5. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                  tmo_amanda

Hey, jimbabwe2!

I'm glad pchevallier has chimed in as we now know you're not alone in this. pchevallier you bring up a good point that our Support Community can only do so much troubleshooting as Community Managers do not have access to file tickets or any account access for that matter. I'm going to be completely honest with the both of you. This is very much over my head but that doesn't mean that I won't work to find answers.

pchevallier, did you receive a callback yet? If so, what was the outcome?

Do either of you have tickets filed and have the ticket number available?

• 6. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                    jimbabwe2

Hi Amanda,

Yes, I have a ticket filed but I don't know the number.  You can check with the team in Colorado Springs.

Jim

• 7. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                      pchevallier

Hey Amanda, Thanks for reaching out,

Yes, Kevin (TMO Customer Support) has been following up with me and told me once again that engineering was rejecting all responsibility for this issue. They (R&D) are pointing the finger at our ISP.

As mentioned elsewhere on this community support, I told him that I have moved to a different ISP, including using TMO LTE data network, and the exact same problem occurred.

Interestingly, the problem doesn't seem to happen when calling a number owned by TMO, which might explain why R&D hasn't seen this issue. They are probably testing against their own telco network.

Kevin has since escalated this issue internally one more time in hope they will reach out to me for help. Nothing as of today (Friday). Kevin will follow up with me one more time next week. Kudo to this customer support employee who is going above and beyond all expectations.  I would have given up and gone to a different VoIP solution by now without his support.

• 8. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                        tmo_amanda

Thank you both for responding, jimbabwe2 and pchevallier. Any updates on the tickets that were filed for you?

• 9. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                          pchevallier

Nope, non, nein, niet, zero, zilch, zip, nada.

I don't make any long distance calls from this line any longer anyway. Incoming calls only. Good thing I have a 50% discount rate on this service, that matches what I'm using it for in the end

• 10. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                            jimbabwe2

I've been contacted by one of the support personnel in Colorado Springs who has been told by the engineers to replace my brand-new LineLink.  I'm not going to do it.  Based on the other information in this discussion, I believe the problem to be NOT with my device.

• 11. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                              tmo_amanda

Ahhh! I was hoping for better news from the both of you.

jimbabwe2, I'd have to agree with you. Again, I'm far from understanding devices on the technical level that you and pchevallier have, but from everything I've read in this thread, the device doesn't seem to be the cause. I'm going to pass this thread along to an individual that's involved with LineLink to see if we can get more eyes on the issue. That being said, there may be a point where I need to send you a PM to get a few details from each of you. If/when that becomes the case, I'll be sure to reply to the thread first so you receive a notification.

Thank you both for being so active on this thread!

• 12. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                                mwiner

We are also experiencing the same issue. We know the connection is good (ISP confirmed). Let us know if there is any way to resolve. Thanks.

• 13. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                                  pchevallier

@tmo_amanda, as you can see, we have one new user (@mwiner) who is experiencing the exact same issue, but I'm sure there are many more who are not taking the time to file any complaints.

I moved to my summer home with a different ISP and I still experience the exact same issue. I even collected new set of logs for TMO R&D to look at when they deem this is becoming urgent enough.

• 14. Re: LineLink drops calls with 3 beeps
                                    tmo_marissa

Hey all - I just wanted to touch base with you and let you know Amanda is working on this but waiting to hear back regarding any updates that we can provide.  Thank you so much for your patience, she'll report back as soon as she has news!

- Marissa

1 2 Previous Next