marchellegentry

Two of the phones on my account were taken and given a new account number with T-Mobile. Even though I can block the phones because they're still on my account, the other person with the new account can unblock them. I don't think its right that I have to give permission in order for the phones to be used with another carrier, but I don't have to give permission for the phones to be used with the same carrier because the phones are paid for. When an IMEI number is checked, it should be checked for blocking and if its attached to another T-Mobile account. At least give the account owner a courtesy call making sure its ok to activate the IMEI on a new account.

All replies

• tidbits

There is no activating a GSM phone. You can swap SIM cards without giving an IMEI anywhere. It's the sim that does all the work. The IMEI can be blocked because it's an OPT OUT system. You have to input IMEIs to block devices. The reason why they want an IMEI initially is to ensure your sim is activated and not some other sim somewhere else.

CDMA for example is an OPT IN system. The system itself needs the IMEI in the system to activate and work on the network. If the process isn't done the device will never work. The problem with this system you need to call in every time you want to switch phones or program new devices. Verizon and Sprint are moving away from those systems as you need a much larger system to do all this including manpower.

If a device is stolen a person can call in and have it blocked. If and when they recover the device they can get it unblocked.  That's a lot better than having reps calls hundreds if not thousands of people everyday to find out if they sold their phones or allowed devices to be activated on a network. Especially when they are making pennies to the dollar on their plans. I would rather have them work on their network coverage than a system like that.