Sorry for the long post, but it's a complicated issue... I'm a new Tmobile customer, and signed up specifically because of what digits had to offer. It's a great concept and very forward thinking. Because it's new, and beta, I've found one tends to get different answers about Digits and the capabilities depending who in Tmobile you ask, so I'm trying to get something cleared up.
With the announcement on February 12th that "Linelink is officially supported by Digits" I'm hoping that my use case can be made to work. I was told by Tmobile it would work, prior to establishing my service. Now that I've paid my money and my service is established and I'm actually trying to get it to work, I'm encountering difficulties.
Here's what I have:
- A Tmobile cell phone (Iphone 7) on the Tmobile One plan
- Linklink, on the "DGLNLNKE - LineLink TE" rate plan. The SIM currently in the Linklink device is independent with a separate # from the Iphone
Here's what I need:
- A single phone number that rings simultaneously on both devices. (Let's call this the Public number)
- Outbound calls on the Iphone show the Public # as the caller id
- Outbound calls on the Linelink show the Public # as the caller id
- I don't have to use the Digits app to place or receive calls using the Public number on the Iphone. The Public # should be the "default" number on the Iphone.
- Visual Voicemail for the Public number is accessible on the Iphone
I don't care if either device has additional ("secondary") numbers associated with it, as long as those secondary numbers don't appear on the caller id.
Can this be done?
The answer is clearly Yes, if the second device is anything other than a linklink. There was a forum post from another customer about this exact use case in December that said "not at this time", but nothing since then, and Linelink was not officially supported until February.
When I ask Tmobile, I get various responses:
- Yes, it can work.
- No, it can't work with Linelink
- Well, it can sort of work, but only if the Public number is assigned to the Linelink, which means you have to use the digits app to place outgoing calls on the Iphone, with the Iphone configured in virtual line mode.
I'm given to understand that the way this would have to work the way I need is that the Linklink gets a "duplicate sim" based on the sim in the Iphone, where the Iphone has the Public #. Has anyone tried that, since Linelink became supported? The third answer I get (above) is based on the notion that Linelink is only compatible with "virtual line" setup and not "duplicate line" setup.
Can anyone provide any info on this? Is anyone doing it? If it can't be done, then it seems the February announcement of Linklink being officially supported by Digits isn't really true.
Thanks so much for any help!