hoffelner

I am trying to tether my desktop PC to my phone (with the idea of eventually using a mobile internet plan) and then use remote desktop to access it from my laptop.   I can figure out the public ip with whatismyip but I can't connect.

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: tethering and rdp

You do not have an individual external ip like you would with home Internet,  you would also not be able to open the ports needed to get that to function because of the first point. You will need to use something like logmein or chrome remote  desktop that does not require opening ports.

• tekno

I do not use RDP but I use a lot of other things that require the following which will probably also work with RDP

Go to http://logmein.com and set up a free account

Set up an account for hamachi once logged in (peer to peer type , no server)

download hamachi clients here

VPN.net – Hamachi by LogMeIn

Hamachi assigns a "Virtual IP" that is accessible to your other devices on the hamachi account. This is a "fixed" virtual IP and will always be available to your oither Hamachi enabled devices on the same account.

you can add four clients for free so you can install hamachi on laptop for instance to access desktop via the hamachi IP address, and 2 other computers

Mark

• tekno

Also,

Team Viewer DOES work

• theartiszan

Yeah you don't need to open ports for that and it connects to a central server to find the computer you are connection too. Any application that works like that would, in theory, should work without problem over tethering.