robjr

How can you fix Gmail Contact photos that are now blurry after the update for the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge? They were fine prior to the update but now when you click on the contact and then "details,"  the big, square photos are blurry and the photo now only comes in small round circle. It used to be just a big square photo. Now it comes in a small icon/circle photo.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hey robjr!  I know that with Nougat, there are a lot of changes to the user interface, including an overall move to round icons.  There's not a way to change this display that we're aware of (or that I can find after much internet digging) - but I can't imagine why this change would have to make them blurry - that would bug me, too!  Does it seem like the zoom was just off when the changes completed?  What happens if you replace a contact entry's photo - does the updated photo improve?

- Marissa

• robjr

Hi Marissa. The photos for those marked as "favorite" are fine with the full, squared image when you click on "details" under contacts. Those I frequently contact are also ok. The rest just have a small circle icon on the left and the big square photo is blurred out. It was the same case every update in the past but it would be resolved upon click on each "details" for each contacts. This time, it doesn't work. When I try to re-upload the photos, it works. However, I have more than 300 contacts, all with photos I added along the way. I just don't have the time to look or take everyone's pictures again and re-do everything.

• robjr

20170329_225333.pngHere is the example of the blurry image with only the little round icon. As you can see, the entire squared image is blurry and became a small, round icon instead.

• tmo_marissa

Yikes - it's crazy enough looking at what that does to the envelope icon for Yahoo!, I would not like to see the faces of every contact I had saved in my phone look like this.  It's good to know that manually updating the photo solves the problem, but I hear you - I wouldn't want to do that 300 times, either. 
                  I tried digging around online for similar stories and couldn't find anything; so I feel like we're gonna have to wing it here.  This might sound drastic, but are all of your contacts synced to your Google Account?  What about a reset - maybe when they're added back in, they'll show up correctly?
                  Another thought, since you mentioned that those you contact frequently aren't appearing this way - can you test calling a contact to see if this issue resolves itself afterwards?  I know calling all 300 of your contacts is about as fun (and as improbable a resolution) as manually updating all of their icons, but I'm curious to see if that might be what's making the difference.

- Marissa

• robjr

All my contacts are synced via Google account. I've tried to re-sync and even removed the google account and then logged back in a couple of times. I've also tried calling some of the contacts but the photos remained the same. I previously spoke to T-Mobile via the 800 number as well as Samsung and was informed that once the next update comes out, it should be fixed. However, there was a 2nd software update from T-Mobile and the problem remained the same. I have other phones (Samsung J5 & BLU) where I tried syncing the same google account with the same contacts and both phones all had clear contact photos. It seems to just be with S7 Edge.

This happens each time there is an update. They are always blurry upon every update. However, in the past, once you click on the details of the contacts, press the back button, and click on details again, it would fix itself to the clear photo images. I'm a bit disappointed that the nicer phone is having this problem compared to the Samsung Galaxy J5 and BLU which are much cheaper.