kevin8998

Hi everyone,

So just last month I left sprint (couldn't be happier) for the T mobile and of course I switched over with three different promotions since I had three lines. But anyways I'm having issues with the one line that I traded in my phone to t mobile that I had leased with Sprint because the mobile was to payoff all the related fees for that line.

I eventually got my final sprin bill submitted that showed the charge for that line that was $234 for the remaining payments and then $175 for the purchase of the phone (because I had to give it to t mobile). That's a total of $409.

Today I get a text from t mobile saying my reimbursement is ready and that I need to review the amount and approve it to be processed so I look and it's for a total of $305... Obviously I'm confused because there's nothing anywhere saying there is an issue with anything so does anyone know why the reimbursement is lower? Am I missing something or did they screw up?

Thanks in advance for the help.

All replies

• snn_555

Re: ETF Reimbursement issues

Might be you submitted the total bill including phone payment and service for that month.  Service costs are not reimbursed, only the device cost.  Perhaps your monthly service cost is the same as the missing amount?

• kevin8998

No that's definitely not the service charge.

I would post a pic of the bill if I could but it breaks down the charges per line and for that lines it's 234 for the lease payments and $175 for the purchase of the phone. That's $409 and it even says "total for this line = $409.

So idk the only thing I can think of is if there was damage to the phone found by t mobile during their check but If this is the case wouldn't they notify me?

• snn_555

I know I submitted a final bill on a promo to pay off a Verizon phone and I was reimbursed for the phone only and not the service. YMMV. You'd have to call to find out why the amounts differed.

• tmo_marissa

Welcome kevin8998!  Thanks for switching, I'm sorry this first impression isn't the clearest!  Hopefully we can shed a little light here.  snn_555 is definitely correct that Carrier Freedom reimburses for "switching costs" - we consider that to be any early termination fee or the device balance, but not service charges.  If your phone had an actual trade-in value, that would be deducted from the amount reimbursed via prepaid card, also - could that be where the math is off?  Sometimes trade-in values are applied as a bill credit, and sometimes (if your trade-in is completed real time in the store when you purchase new equipment) it's used towards up front costs like taxes and down payments, or to cover accessories.  Using the math you provided, it looks like $104 is missing from your reimbursement - have you received a $104.00 bill credit, or did you get $104.00 off of your initial purchase in the store?

- Marissa

• kevin8998

I see, well that is confusing. I did set it up in store and do th trade in at that time, but I was never informed I got a value credit towards the start up costs so I'm not sure. I think I have the paperwork still at home so I'm gonna check after work but the start-up costs were 275sh so I don't think so.

As far as a bill credit for $104 I know that hasn't happened I've had the nornal full bill amount for the two months.

And as far as some of those costs being the sprint service of the partial final month I know that's not the case. It states clearly on their bill the two "equipment charges" for this line.

• tmo_marissa

I'm sorry if we didn't do a better job of explaining this in the store!  I definitely think that the possibility of a trade-in credit (either issued already towards the new phone, or pending as a bill credit) makes more sense, math-wise, than the possibility of a portion of the charges being declined for reimbursement.  I say this because 1. I trust that you know your bill! and 2. the only part of what you've described that might be "iffy" would be the purchase penalty or buy-out amount of $175, and if that were the case, then you'd only be offered a reimbursement card for $234.
                          We're in a sort of unique position here because the Support Community is a user forum, so we don't have individual account access - if I did, I'd be able to check your trade-in history in two shakes and confirm this!  But it's awesome to hear that you still have your paperwork.  Please take a look at it when you get home and keep us posted!  If it were issued up front, you would see it outlined on the paperwork somewhere as a "Device Recovery Credit".  If it's pending as a bill credit, then you would only have a Device Recovery Agreement, but wouldn't see the credit on the receipt.

- Marissa

• kevin8998

Well I checked the bill and yeah there is a line at the bottom that does say "device credit" for $104 so I guess that is the difference. I just wish they would have told me that in the store but at least you got it figured out. Thanks!

I do however have another issue now. I'm trying to approve the amount now so they can begin processing it, but before I posted here I hit contact t mobile and set up a call back date (because I thought it could be same day) but anyways now when I go into that screen it doesn't give me the option to accept it and move forward. It just says at the top of the page that I have a pending call back on April 1st... Obviously I want to cancel that now and accept the amount.

• tmo_marissa

Whew!  I'm glad there's an explanation!
                                  I'm not able to cancel the appointment and move forward with your approval, but if you Contact Us we can get you right over to the Carrier Freedom team to get that taken care of.  I know it takes a bit of time to get that final statement, upload it, and have the submission reviewed, so we definitely don't want you waiting an extra week for approval. 
                                  Thanks for letting us know about this - we shouldn't let you walk out of the store not knowing where your device credit is going, that's valuable feedback.  We're stoked to have your business, please come back and visit us on Support again!

- Marissa