cisum

Hi, recently my HTC M9 ran into a incident where the camera screen has been cracked and a piece of it has fallen off. I went to the T-Mobile store to ask questions but all they managed to do was add more to the confusion. If I was to go through the online claim, and pay the 175$ deductible to send my phone it and do a upgrade, will that replace what I have left on the phone to pay off, or would it be easier to pay off the 250$ I have left and upgrade then? I would really like some insight before committing to one or the other, anything you can provide will be appreciated, thank you!

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hey cisum!  Sorry to read about your phone's oops-moment, but this is a great question and I'm glad you're asking!  The deductible you pay when your equipment is replaced does not impact the installment balance remaining for your device - so if you still owe $250, that won't decrease when you pay your deductible - you would just continue using the replacement for the remainder of the installment plan.  Depending on the kind of insurance that you have, though, you may be able to trade in the replacement phone and have that remaining balance forgiven - or you may even be able to simply pay the deductible and turn in the broken device, have the EIP balance forgiven, and start a new plan with a totally different make & model.  Do you have JUMP!, or Premium Handset Protection?

- Marissa

• cisum

I have Jump! currently, thanks for responding! Would I be able to pay the deductible at a T-Mobile store and just upgrade to a new phone without sending in it by any chance?

• tmo_marissa

Absolutely! 

You would just want to do two things first before making the trip - first, be sure that you're JUMP! eligible.  For newer customers, this means that you've paid more than 50% of your device's total MSRP (so since you mentioned that your balance is $250, if your phone cost $500+, you're good!).  For original JUMP! customers, you can actually JUMP! two times per rolling calendar year - so if you JUMP!ed in January and in June of last year, you'd be good to go now, but if you JUMP!ed in June and October of 2016, you'd have to wait until June this year to JUMP! again.  An easy way to check is by logging in to MyTMO online - if you select the PHONE option at the top, does the next page tell you you're eligible to JUMP!?
                The second thing you want to do is reach out to your local store and make sure that they can process a JUMP! Claim.  Most corporate stores should be able to assist with this, but checking before you buckle up and (safely) drive over there is never a bad idea.  We don't want you wasting gas!  As long as the store is set up for it, we can simply collect your deductible there ourselves and complete the rest of the JUMP! upgrade as usual.  You'll need to pay the up front taxes and down payment (if applicable) there at the time as well, but you'll be able to walk out with your new phone and not have to worry about the turnaround wait for a replacement or being responsible for shipping the defective device back - we can handle that for you.

- Marissa