Free phone not free, got scammed at the store

moolman

Hi,

What options do I have?

I went to the store during the black friday promotion and got the 2 lines for free. At the store, the rep told me that I can get a free tablet and free phone. I didn't want the free phone, it's a LG Stylo 2 plus but the rep said why not, take it, it's free. Okay, so 4 months later. I still get charged $10 a month EIP for the phone. The tablet is fine, credits working out.

I go to the store, they tell me, they can't do anything. I'm told that I needed to be on an unlimited line, then the rep shouldn't have told me to take the phone then. Phone support refers me back to the store. Am I supposed to hold a protest at the store then, which I might...haha...

Thanks

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Free phone not free, got scammed at the store

This is just disappointing if we offered something and didn't deliver moolman. I know we ran a few different offers at that time, but not exactly like the one you're mentioning. I know this might be a stretch, but do you still have any paperwork or receipt from the store that has some info about the purchase? It could help our store folks sort this out if they review any documentation they gave you.

• moolman

Hi Mike,

I do have the paperwork, the promotion is listed on slickdeals still at this link.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9374823-get-an-lg-k7-or-lg-k10-or-lg-stylo-2-plus-smartphone-free-after-a-24-month-finance-agre…

Notice that it says T-Mobile One which I don't have. I verified with the representative at the store that I still qualified because I had 2 unlimited lines on my account. For reference, I am getting Google Pixel promo which is advertised as a T-mobile One credit but in the fine print, it states if you have an unlimited simply choice, you can get the credit and I am getting it. I spoke to the rep and she said because I have a 2nd unlimited line, I can get the credit for the Stylo 2 and get it for free despite not having T-mobile One.

I guess, what really is burning me is that, I really didn't want the phone..lol....and I would of gladly left with just the free tablet but the rep asked me about the free phone and convinced me to take, why not I was told. I'm on the EIP for the tablet, so I'll be sticking around with T-Mobile anyway....uhh...

It's $10 a month, it's not going to kill me to pay it but I know the reps have quotas to meet or get a bonus probably for selling the phone and I got taken, it just sucks.

• tmo_mike_c

I feel really bad about this because promos like this are meant for customer's to take advantage of what we have to offer, not make you feel like you've been taken. I do appreciate you posting that link. I did find a the exact promo you mentioned. I guess what I'm still a little unclear about is you mentioned you've spoken with a few reps that said you still qualify for the credit. Did they mention specifically how you could get the credit?

• moolman

The original rep told me the Stylo was free after credits just like the tablet I picked up. The store just refuses to do anything, it's tough luck on me. When I call, they tell me to go to the store. Nobody told me I can do anything to get the credit like I was promised.

Let's face it Mike, I know how the game works.

I'm under a EIP for the tablet and I got 2 free lines from the promo.

T-mobile knows that they have me and screwed me over $10 and I can't do a thing. If I cancel and move to another company, I'd have to pay off both EIP and give up the 2 free lines.

Well played sir or I should say Claudia at the 7th and Fig store in downtown LA, cause she knew she was screwing me over.

• tmo_mike_c

This is just a shame and I feel so bad we haven't gotten this resolved for you. Other than the store reps, the only other team that may be able to at least look at your account and compare it to the eligibility is our T-Force team. You've made it really clear how you feel about this whole situation, so I can understand any hesitation you may have giving that a shot. However, they are a great resource and it's worth a shot to run this by them. As for what happened at the store, I'll use what you've posted here and let our internal business teams know what happened here. I wish this would have gone so much better for you, but I'll make sure we report to the right folks so they know what kind of experience you had.

• artart

tmo_mike

I commend you for your sincere desire to help right a wrong.

Obviously T-Mobile has a huge problem with its stores working at cross purposes to the corporate objective of superior customer service. My question is: Does T-Mobile actually investigate customer alligations of rude, fraudulant or otherwise anti customer behavior on the part of T-Mobile store employees?

Is there a department of the company who might have oversight to investigate and remedy iinstances of customer abuse? To your knowledge, has any T-Mobile employee ever been terminated as a result of fraudulent practices?

I am just asking because I lodged a formal complaint about a T-Mo store  employee who refused to do his job He basically told me that he could care less if I reported his refusal to sell me a SIM card.

I immediately called a pjhone rep and was assured that T-Mo took alligations such as mine seriously. She said that her supervisor was writing up a ticket even as we spoke. She said that I would be contacted by the district manager who has authority over the manager of the offending store in North East Pa. She said he would be contacting me personally. Furthermore, she said she would personally call me back by the following Friday to confirm that he had called to address the problem.

No call from any manager. No call back from the rep.

John the young rude, salesman who refused to sell me a SIM card seemed to know something that I had not. He inferred that the company doesn't care when rogue employees behave badly.

It is not my loss. It is T-Mobile's loss.

It is a loss for all of the wonderful honest hard working dedicated T-Mobile employees who try to make the customers' experence an enjoyable one. You people work so hard and yet T-Mobile store employees can destroy the hard earned consumer goodwill you create.

I already knew what could happen in a T-Mobile store.

Those of us who have been with the company long enough know not to believe everything a store employee says. Not all, maybe not even the majority of store salesmen, lie to fulfill sales quotas or otherwise scam customers to make higher commisions. There are however, some very bad apples in some of those stores. I just wonder how we customers and T-Mobile service reps might all work together to get rid of those bad apples.

Art

• tmo_mike_c

Hi artart and thank you for you commendation. That means a lot to me since you've had an experience that's really uncharacteristic of what you should be getting from our store folks. To answer your question, yes, we do have a team that does investigate misconduct against customers, including fraud. Depending on what happened, it may involve one or more departments to look at what went on, but there are dedicated teams in place for matters like what you've mentioned. Since we do have special teams that handle any claims of fraudulent activities, I can' say exactly how the termination process works, but, like other companies, that isn't tolerated and can result in folks being terminated. The goal is always to give our customers the best service across all channels of the company. I'm aware that doesn't always happen but thankfully we have ways to make our customer's voices heard if they happen to get less than stellar service.

• artart

tmo_mike_c wrote:

Hi artart and thank you for you commendation. That means a lot to me since you've had an experience that's really uncharacteristic of what you should be getting from our store folks. To answer your question, yes, we do have a team that does investigate misconduct against customers, including fraud. Depending on what happened,

The goal is always to give our customers the best service across all channels of the company. I'm aware that doesn't always happen but thankfully we have ways to make our customer's voices heard if they happen to get less than stellar service.

Hi Mike

Thankyou for your concise informative reply adressing every single issue I raised. It reinforces my over all positive view of T-Mobile's customer service.

Art

• moolman

Hi Mike,

How do I get in contact with the T-Force team?

Thanks

• tmo_mike_c

You can use the Facebook or Twitter links on our Contact Us page. After you log in, it'll take you right to their dedicated page. If you want to, you can link them to this thread just so you don't have to explain too much again.

• moolman

Hi Mike and everyone else,

I wanted to give an update. I contacted T-force on Facebook as suggested by Mike. They took care of me and removed the EIP. They took care of me and I really appreciate it.

In the end, T-mobile keeps me for at least another 2 years, which is the point of the EIP, since I also have a 2 year EIP on the tablet. And I stay longer since they are giving me good value and kept their promises.

I can really appreciate the effort that Mike here and the T-force team did to solve my issue. I hope others that get wrong information at the store level is encouraged by this.

Thanks

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for coming back to keep us posted. I'm really happy our T-Force friends got this resolved for you and you're sticking around with us for a bit longer. We do hope you'll stay for more than 2 years of course, but it's more important that you got this taken care of. As always, we appreciate you giving our team a shout out on support.

• ryan97006

Sales reps earn commission and while I'm not familiar with T-Mobiles comp plan, new lines / accounts typically pay the employee out at a much higher rate.  If you upgrade your phone, the employee might make a couple of bucks, but anything new (whether it's a tablet, wearable, or phone) puts a lot more money in the employee's pocket. New lines often create multipliers for commission too, so those free tablets that they're graciously giving you are helping out the employee exponentially.  Also, when they are doing a bill analysis and trying their best to "save you the most money possible", they're either looking to add a tablet so your bill stays the same, or they get paid to migrate your plan from an old rate plan to the new ones.

• artart

ryan97006 wrote:

Sales reps earn commission and while I'm not familiar with T-Mobiles comp plan, new lines / accounts typically pay the employee out at a much higher rate.

New lines often create multipliers for commission too,

That is probably the reason why a T-Mobile store high pressure salesman refused to sell me a SIM card without him being the one to acticate it in the store. I explained that it is T-Mo policy that I could purchase the SIM card in the store and activate it by phone with a customer service rep.

My concern was that the store salesman would screw up my free line that was already activated although the SIM card was delayed for two weeks in the mail.

A  customer support supervisor had credited  my purchase price of the SIM card  which was presumably lost or just "stuck" in the mail. He told me I didn't have to wait any longer. Just go into a T-Mo store, buy a SIM for cash,  go home, call a rep and have the activated SIM that was in the mail deactivated. I could be asured that the new SIM would be properly activated correctly with the phone number assigned to my new free line. The  T-Mo store salesman absolutely REFUSED to sell me a  card without HIM activating it in the store.

I asked if that was his final position, as I was going to lodge a complaint with T-Mobile. He told me with a smirk go ahead. His body language suggested that it wouldn't do me any good. He added as I quitely and politely left the store, "Have a nice day". That really fried my bacon.

I did file a complaint. Guess what?

It didn't do any good.

Art

• ryan97006

I'm not sure what their policy is on SIM cards. I've worked at both Verizon and AT&T, and I'd be able to give people SIM cards, I'd just have to sell them out so our inventory didn't get screwed up. Might be different with TMo though, SIM cards were free at AT&T and VZW.  Was he simply tying the SIM card to an active number? Or were you trying to port something in or snag a new phone line? I know that tying a SIM to someone's number didn't get me anything as a rep.

• moolman

I'll be staying for the long term...haha.... I've been with T-mobile for a couple years. If I stuck through Sprint for 10 years before switching, that proves I don't switch easily...haha