Branched to a new discussion.

just switched from AT&T, LTE speeds problems already

amyangel

I just switched from AT&T and Tmobile website says my house has Excellent LTE coverage, however; when I do a speed test it's less than 1 mb download. 0.19-0.30 mb/s. Help I have an iPhone 7 plus that I also restarted but still the same. I have 2 bars and LTE on the phone.

Any way to fix this?

Thanks

All replies

• Reset Network Settings on iPhone.  I have 2 dots on my iP7+ and get 15 down and 10 up at home.  I also have a WiFi Cellspot from T-Mobile, so I use that mainly though.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • dragon1562

So to get a better idea of the issue theres things you should do. Also regardless I would dial 611 on your device and ask for the Advanced team to talk to them about the matter. However here is some info you should have prepared prior to the call.

1. Record your speed test:

- Make sure to run multiple speed tests throughout the day

- Make sure you try connecting to different servers with in the app

- Run the speed tests on LTE and on HSPA+(4g)

The reason your doing all the above is to see if it's a congestion issue or something else plus when you call the more information you can readily provide the faster things can be resolved.

2. Try another device:

- If possible have a friend who is also with T-mobile run a speedtest at your house or try using another device that you own to test the speeds if you can just to see if its the iPhone. This is unlikely but its better to be safe and thorough then to skip over something so potentially obvious.

3. Record the locations effected

- I know its obvious but make sure you can actually provide the location in this case your home in which is being effected. Also make sure to run a speed test outside the house to make sure its not just a issue of the house interfering with the signal.

- Also try running speed tests in other locations throughout the day because it can also help to answer number two above of whether or not it is your device.

Thats all you can really do on your end now just call in and filing a trouble shoot ticket. Make sure to right it down in case you need to call in a again at a later date.

• tmo_marissa

Hey amyangel!  I know you received some useful suggestions from our users here, but I just wanted to check in and see how everything was going for you.  Were you able to isolate the issue using the methods that dragon1562 mentioned above?  Did you have a chance to Contact Us and work with our Tech team?  We don't want you to regret switching - please let us know how you're doing!

- Marissa

• amyangel

Hi Marissa,

Unfortunately, I was not able to resolve and tech support opened a ticket for me.

They mentioned something about upgrades in my area soon to be completed by April 4th.

If that doesn't improve at my house, I was told I could initiate a request for some kind of cell booster device in my home?

Thanks

• dragon1562

You should not have to wait to request a cell booster should you want one. However this isn't going to fix the issue since it will just repeat the signal from outside indoors or if you get the stand alone cell spot it will make a LTE signal itself but require you to hook it up to your router.

Ether way it is not ideal I would like to know though did you actually do the above before calling and what were the results that you gathered so we can actually narrow down the true culprit.

• artart

amyangel wrote:

Hi Marissa,

They mentioned something about upgrades in my area soon to be completed by April 4th.

If that doesn't improve at my house, I was told I could initiate a request for some kind of cell booster device in my home?

Thanks.

Upgrades in my area caused me severe degradation in signal strength for months.

One tower was completely shut down. All the traffic that normally was on that tower  was routed to other nearby towers that also served my house. That caused massive congestion.

I aready had a cell spot (booster / repeater) provided free by T-Mo to address the problem of poor signal penetration of my house's outside walls even when the towers were working properly. That had fixed that problem. A few months later the towers were being "upgraded" causing the congestion problem..

To address the degradation from tower congestion issue T-Mo sent me an actual state of the art router so that I could use my cellphones (voice & data) by accessing my cable internet connection.

My advice would be this.

Just follow the advice given by  dragon1562

You don't have to wait for T-Mo to upgrade the towers.

If you have a landline internet connection, I would ask T-Mo for a free router. The company lends it to you at no cost as long as you continue to be a customer. There may or may be a small deposit.

If you don't have a landline internet connection, I would ask T-Mo for a free cell booster. The company also lends it to you at no cost as long as you continue to be a customer. There may or may be a small deposit.

I no longer care how congested things might become around my home towers.

Art

• tmo_marissa

Happy Monday, amyangel!  Just wondering if that ticket had any insight to reveal.  How are things going for you?

- Marissa

• amyangel

Hi Marissa,

I haven't heard anything on the update in my area yet. I've been running speed tests throughout the day (unfortunately it's not a set time) and generally it's 0.5 to 0.8 mb download. When the load is less in my area in the 11pm beyond hours it tends to be slightly better around 1.0-1.5 mb. I will follow-up with support but 

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing - I'm sorry to hear that the improvement has been slow in arrival!  I've got my fingers crossed that you see better speeds soon.  It makes sense based on those time frames that we would have planned improvements in your area, because it sounds like typical network congestion that's alleviated as folks go to sleep.  We've got our fingers crossed for you - let us know if you wind up reaching out to get any more updates!

- Marissa