Galaxy S6 Edge Plus will only get 2g

giant24us

I have been with T-mobile for 2 months.  Up  until this weekend the 4g was working fine.  But over the weekend my phone will only get on to the 2g.  APN is fine, i also reset my phone and also got SIM switched out. None of it worked.

This phone was an ATT phone that I had unlocked before I joined.  Can anyone help? Thanks!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Galaxy S6 Edge Plus will only get 2g

Wow, that's rude for it to stop working all of a sudden. Thanks for checking the APN settings. Do you also have your data roaming setting turned on? Is it only showing 2G while you're in a specific area or anywhere. Please give us a reply back. We really want to help get this working for you.

• tmo_marissa

Heya giant24us!  How's everything going with your phone's signal these days?  Hopefully this has worked itself out, or you were able to solve it - but please let us know either way!  If you're still having trouble, do you mind taking a peek at the clarifying questions Mike asked above?  We'd love to help if you're in need.

- Marissa

• lauama

I encountered the same issue almost a week ago.  I updated APN and have data roaming on, also reconnected to T-mobile several times. I can only get 2G everywhere; it is not only when in a specific location.

• tmo_mike_c

Yikes lauama .

I'm bummed knowing this is happening to you too, but we really wanna help. Can you check the Software and make sure it's up to date? Do you have any other T-Mobile phones in your area that are having the same issue? Please let us know keep us posted so we can work to get this resolved for you. Thanks!

• lauama

Yup, software's up to date.  I have an older phone running Jellybean, but again, it only happened recently.  No one I know is having this issue here.

Here are the APN settings I tested, recommended via Tmo messaging earlier this week:

Name: T-Mobile US LTE APN: fast.t-mobile.com Proxy: Not set Port: Not set Username: Not set Password: Not set Server: Not set MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc MMS proxy: Not set MMS port: Not set MMS protocol: WAP 2.0 MCC: 310 MNC: 260 Authentication type: Not set APN type: Not set OR Internet+MMS APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

• tmo_mike_c

Ah, okay. Thanks for giving that a shot. What happens if you try to scan for T-Mobile with a Manual Network Selection? Does T-Mobile appear? If so, does it allow you to connect and give you a stronger signal than 2G?

• lauama

Yup, T-mobile, and only T-mobile, appears when doing a Manual network scan.  Haven't been able to get anything be Edge for about a week.  Before, it would sometimes connect to 2G first, then switch to a higher speed quickly, but it hasn't been doing that.  Other things I tried, based on browsing for a resolution: clear cache, turn airplane mode on/off, restart to safe mode, dial #*#*4636*#*#, switch to WCDMA only then back to Auto, and more.  When I check my phone info with mobile data on, Mobile network type always says EDGE.

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, this is really odd. Thanks for taking those steps. I know you mentioned you had an older phone. Have you ever tested your SIM in that phone or any other phones that aren't having trouble to see if you get 3G or higher? I'd just like to know if this issue is following your SIM.

• lauama

Haven't tried another phone yet.  If I go to a T-Mobile store, would they have a spare phone to test my SIM for me?  Unfortunately, most of the people I see often have non-SIM phones.

• tmo_mike_c

I'm curious if you've had the chance to test your SIM in another phone. I'm not 100% sure our stores have devices they can test, other than their personal phones. I'm thinking this might not be a network related issue, but this SIM test would really help us narrow things down if you can do it.

• lauama

Went to a T-Mobile store.  The associate instantly told me towers were being upgraded nationwide, beginning about two months ago, and certain (older) phones would be kept at 2G unless upgraded to a newer device.

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm, I've seen several site upgrades all over so that's very much possible. In the past, folks would get a text or some other communication letting them know that their phones are gonna be impacted by the network upgrades. You didn't get any text message about this? Have you already purchased another phone? If you haven't, we'd need to double check your area to see what's impacting you exactly. Thanks for keeping us posted on this.