How do I disable OTA update notifications?

xenon2000

I do not want the 7.0 Update. I had it and I just downgraded back to 6.0.1. But now it's bugging me to update and I won't. So how do I get rid of the notification? It's in 2 locations. The pull down shade as well as at the top of the Settings page. I also don't want to root my phone. It is all stock.

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: How do I disable OTA update notifications?

Out of curiosity, what is your objection to 7? Didn't like the changes or other problems?

To answer your question,  there is no way to block the notification built in. If you find a old version of package disabler though,  you can disable the update service which should block it.  The latest version though you can not disable that app due to the note 7 issue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • xenon2000

Pretty sure you participated in my thread about my big list of things I didn't like about 7.0.

I was reading that disabling the update service only gets rid of the notification on the pull down panel and not the one pinned to the top of the Settings Page. I will have to check more into that. But this is just insane! What is the point of a manual update setting that is going to check automatically and then bug you!? I want full manual updates. If I don't check for an update, I don't want to hear about it.

• tidbits

Talk to Google. That's all Android base code. One of the things that is against the terms to use the PlayStore on their devices if they modify. The only thing they are allowed to modify is the source address for the server.

• xenon2000

What does that have to do with this thread? I don't want to see this notification. I can clear all other notifications normally, so this should be clearable. I am not asking to modify code, root, etc. But if I don't want to upgrade to 7.0 , then I don't need to see the notification 24/7. My phone is not modified. It is stock T-mobile 6.0.1

• theartiszan

He is saying is it was Google choice to put that in and have the update notification work the way that it is and that Samsung and tmobile had no choice in how the update notifications work.

• xenon2000

Fine, so the finger pointing. My point isn't WHO, my point is in how it works. It is flawed and should be changed. And it doesn't change the point of this thread, which is finding a way to disable the notification that I have ZERO interest in applying as I don't want to see it 24/7. And I don't want to root or use a custom ROM. I expect that eventually 7.x will get an update and I will try it again once the version changes higher than 7.0 and if the changelog looks worth it. Knowing I can always get back to stock 6.0.1

• tidbits

xenon2000 wrote:

Fine, so the finger pointing. My point isn't WHO, my point is in how it works. It is flawed and should be changed. And it doesn't change the point of this thread, which is finding a way to disable the notification that I have ZERO interest in applying as I don't want to see it 24/7. And I don't want to root or use a custom ROM. I expect that eventually 7.x will get an update and I will try it again once the version changes higher than 7.0 and if the changelog looks worth it. Knowing I can always get back to stock 6.0.1

It's not finger pointing....   IF you want the Play Store on your phone Google forces certain rules, and certain code that can't be touch.  If the code is touched you can't have any Google services on that phone.  The thing you are complaining about is part of the agreement not to touch.  T-Mobile doesn't touch code like people believe so they can't do anything about it.  Samsung could change the code, but again you will lose all Google services.

• xenon2000

Again. I am not asking for 3rd parties to modify code. I was simply asking if there is a way to disable/turn off this notification. I didn't ask for that solution to include mode modifying, rooting, custom firmware, etc.

And what are you talking about with agreements? Google requires a 24/7 software update notification?

• tidbits

what I told you is the only way to possibly change that in the future is to bring it up with Google. If enough people do Google may change it.

My 5X does the same thing but it doesn't bother me at all. I still haven't updated from 7.0 to a higher version.

• tidbits

The code for updates require it NOT TO BE MODIFIED. If Samsung modifies that code they lose their Google Play Services licensing which means no Google services on your phone. Google is moving to a more modular design in their code to update OS from them which happens on the fly and out of manufacturer hands. Then manufacturers just update their skins and special "features". If manufacturers change the code for the updates then it could break the update process Google envisions. So if that notification is 24/7 then that's on Google because no one can touch their code.

See Amazon Fire for example when that agreement is not followed.

• xenon2000

Sounds like your replies are way more complicated than they need to be. So is the answer simply "This notification can't be turned off without rooting".....? If so, why not just say that? Or did I miss that answer? Feels like this thread is muddy now.

If I have to deal with 24/7 notifications... hopefully 7.0.1 or higher will come out and address some of the things I hate about 7.0 and then I can upgrade again.

• tidbits

I said Talk to Google initially.  I would assume the person would get the answer was no and this is how to put in my complaint about it and hope Google makes the appropriate changes if it bothers enough people.  Maybe I shouldn't have assumed it.  I am a programmer and often I do things like that on a personal level, and like most programmers at times think too "logically" I guess you'd put it that way.

It will not be dealt with.  It's there even in the latest 7.1.2(I have a Nexus 5X).  I have the notifications still.  I haven't updated simply because of this reason Google Groups which I still have seen people bricking after each update so far. 

• xenon2000

tidbits , can you explain more about 7.1.2? Yes, I expect notifications to still be there. And if the software updates notification is still like that in 7.1.2, that is fine too. I am just saying that I was hoping that when the S7 gets a version higher than 7.0, that it has been updated with Samsung's TouchWiz UI and that it has improved a few things not related to TouchWiz. Such as colors, fonts, and sorting of the notifications panel. I really like and use near daily, how 6.0.1 handles Waze notification panel. It sorts Waze to the top and colors it. I also really like how the top 10 shortcuts work on the first pulldown of the shade. Where I slide left/right and then pull down a 2nd time for the ones past 10. And other things. If 7.1.2 of Android doesn't improve on things like that... then I don't know if I will upgrade my S7 ever. And will just have to see how I like the S8.

• tidbits

xenon2000 wrote:

tidbits , can you explain more about 7.1.2? Yes, I expect notifications to still be there. And if the software updates notification is still like that in 7.1.2, that is fine too. I am just saying that I was hoping that when the S7 gets a version higher than 7.0, that it has been updated with Samsung's TouchWiz UI and that it has improved a few things not related to TouchWiz. Such as colors, fonts, and sorting of the notifications panel. I really like and use near daily, how 6.0.1 handles Waze notification panel. It sorts Waze to the top and colors it. I also really like how the top 10 shortcuts work on the first pulldown of the shade. Where I slide left/right and then pull down a 2nd time for the ones past 10. And other things. If 7.1.2 of Android doesn't improve on things like that... then I don't know if I will upgrade my S7 ever. And will just have to see how I like the S8.

Those changes will not be fixed.  As per the agreement a lot of stuff can't be changed in the sense of UI.  Google wants more uniformity of the OS, and one of the reasons why we also get the "Powered by Android" splash screen.  You will not like any version going forward if you want to stick with Marshmallow.

• xenon2000

Well hopefully Android 8.x will see some notification improvements. But the wash away of color and lack of sorting in 7.x notifications is a step backwards.

Can themes at least darken the notifications and settings sections so battery life is better?

• tidbits

Believe that is fine up to a point. Sony had 2500 customization with their phones until the recent update and a lot of stuff is now missing and can't be changed. Of course some theme developers haven't updated their themes and the theme engine reminds you some things are no longer compatible.

• tidbits

The whole darker improves battery life is a joke.  Unless you stay on that specific screen for very long periods of time the battery life saved is so minimal you'd only save like 2 minutes per cycle.

• xenon2000

Well, then I have no other explanation on my my S7 battery life was certainly worse than on 6.0.1... By the end of the day it was at least 10-15% lower than usual. And after many reboots and 2 weeks of using 7.0

As for higher version of Android, eventually I won't have a choice when I get a new phone. But right now on my S7, I was tired of the lower battery life, having to backspace all the time from keyboard mistakes, and much more. Actually, of everything, I think the keyboard mistakes are what finally broke me.

• tidbits

As silly as it sounds some apps are never updated anymore and uses old API's and don't take advantage of battery saves.  Each update ends up making these apps use more battery.  Some apps may be hanging in the background a clear cache of factory reset should fix some of the problems.

What I do with major updates I ALWAYS factory reset before applying updates.  I then manually install all my apps.  I have always felt if I no longer use the app I would forget about it when installing and it wasn't that important for me to remember.  Chances are that app was never updated for a while either.

• xenon2000

And if battery life was my main concern, I would try that. But sadly too many other things I don't like about 7.0 right now. Like how in the world is the keyboard more prone to errors now? I was making way more typos in 7.0 in every app. Having to use the backspace key way too much. My wife said this as well, even though I hadn't told her I was having that issue. That is when I realized it wasn't just me and not my imagination. I also noticed that 7.0 takes longer to do alternate key strokes as you have to hold the key longer to activate the popup for alternate keys. What a strange thing to change.