hey cortana

nvguy67

I just upgraded to the Alcatel One Touch Fierce XL with Windows 10 from a windows 8.1 phone. The way I use my phone when driving is I have a place my phone is suppose to go in my vehicle and that is in the arm rest. It has a shelf in there that has connections built in for the mic in the ceiling, the charger and line out to the stereo. I have always been able to connect via Bluetooth to the stereo also and answer and receive calls and use the Hey Cortana feature to make calls and text, without getting one first to respond. On this phone, the Hey Cortana feature showed up once when I unboxed it, but it has been missing since I did the first update. Also Driving mode had a pin to start feature that seems to disappear and re appear. When it is there it stops the whole phone usage waiting for me to say yes. If it is in the arm rest, I can't see it. so text messages and calls keep pilling up waiting for me to answer that question I can't see. What does it matter to the phone if I am driving? Is it going to make Cortana read me the caller id and ask me if I want to answer?

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: hey cortana

Erg, bad news is, your devices updates have probably progressed beyond compatibility with all of your vehicles functions.

Software updates aren't created to accommodate connection with all devices (it would be pretty impossible for the manufacturers to test everything), and typically things like vehicles come with more caveats and requirements to connect as opposed to something like a simple speaker, meaning they are the first to no longer be compatible.

You can try contacting your vehicle manufacturer to see if they have any updates on their end that make them compatible with newer OS versions, but that's pretty rare.

Lauren

• nvguy67

I don't think this has anything to do with my vehicle. The hey Cortana feature disappears even if I am not paired to anything and so does the ability to turn on driving mode. It is still listed under settings and then systems and then driving mode, it is listed and turned off and greyed out. even if I am paired to the same vehicle that it was just connected to a minute ago. But the Hey Cortana does not even seem to care if something is paired or not or even if driving mode is on or not. I can check to see if it is there after a fresh reboot and about 30% of the time it is listed there. I could leave it on for 3 days and all of a sudden it is there.

• tmo_lauren

Hmm, that definitely means it could be something different.

Does it still maintain all other functionality?

-Lauren

• nvguy67

Yes, everyway else it still works fine.

• tmo_amanda

Happy Saturday, nvguy67! I just wanted to stop by to see if you were able to check the settings on your phone as Marissa mentioned above. We want to make sure that the toggle for the Cortana services is set to "on".

• nvguy67

yes it is switched on.

• tmo_amanda

Thank you for getting back to us, nvguy67. I must say, you've got me stumped. I have done my fair share of sorting through information available to us along with that available on the interwebs with no luck of a solution. What version of Windows 10 are you running on your device?

I'm definitely not giving up on you and will keep searching to find the answer as to why Cortana decided to start being stubborn while connected to Bluetooth.

• nvguy67

• tmo_amanda

Thanks! I'm going to reach out to our resident Windows expert to see if he can provide any insight on why this is happening. I'll be sure to follow-up as soon as I have more info.

• tmo_marissa

Hey nvguy67!  Just wanted to check in with you and thank you for your patience.  I know Amanda's working on this and will update you as soon as she hears back! 

- Marissa

• tmo_amanda

Hey nvguy67!

Thanks for being so patient. I heard back from my Windows guru and they were able to pass along some helpful info. To start, there was a software update available on April 11th. Have you had a chance to update your phone to the 10.0.14393.1066 version? If so, did the driving mode or Cortana improve?

They also provided steps to add Cortana back to the homepage: From the home screen> select “All apps” at the bottom> Press and hold on “Cortana”> select “Pin to Start”

Lastly, as far as Driving Mode goes, they recommended unpairing your device from your vehicle then re-pairing it. Once you re-pair it, you can choose whether or not you want to add it back with the "Driving Mode" application.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • tmo_marissa

Hey nvguy67!  I did a little research and it doesn't look we have this documented in our list of known issues for this phone, and I can't imagine why such a popular (and advertised) feature would be deliberately missing in Windows 10.  I found this .pdf on Alcatel's site and it looks like there's a toggle that has to be turned On for Cortana services, and lists ways that you can engage (it doesn't mention a tile, strangely) - can you check that setting on your phone and test accessing Cortana that way? 
                              I'm sorry to say I searched the full user manual and didn't gain any insight on the Driving Mode question, though.  I wish I had more info to offer - it does seem counter-intuitive for the mode to engage on its own and wait for you to agree! 

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hey nvguy67!  I just wanted to check in and make sure you'd had a chance to read over the suggestions Amanda got from our Windows contact.  How is everything going?

- Marissa