One Plus Promo: Can HD video option be turned off?

rbob

Got the One Plus Promo plan. Poking around my.t-mobile.com, in "Media Settings" in  my "Profile" I enabled "HD video resolution" only to find that it can't be turned off!

I don't watch videos on my phone, but if I ever did, HD on my 5" screen would be a waste of bits.

Is it supposed to be a one-way switch, or a bug in the interface? If it's intentionally irreversible, a warning is called for.

All replies

• snn_555

Wait, you have unlimited data and you want to limit data?  Why?

• dragon1562

I also just want to chime in and say that the way bing on accomplishes the 480p resolution streams is by throttling your bandwidth during video streams. You should just leave the setting be and do what snn_555 suggested which is adjust the resolution yourself when watching content.

Also I just wanted to add that your not wasting "bits" when streaming in HD. The internet isn't some finite resource and your not going to break the network. I would just enjoy and get the most value for what you are paying for unless you were trying to take advantage of kickback. That is the only way i could understand wanting to throttle yourself.

• artart

dragon1562 wrote:

I would just enjoy and get the most value for what you are paying for unless you were trying to take advantage of kickback. That is the only way i could understand wanting to throttle yourself.

Hi dragon1562

Actually I have a very good reason that I throttle myself.

Here is why I stay throttled (permanently engaged Bing On Simple Choice Plan)

Aside from the fact that I can have unlimited tethering of streaming movies there is a more important reason to self throttle. When using full HD streaming, movies can use up to 3GB per hour of data. Standard definition movies use 1GB or less per hour. Since all data counts towards the "Total on Network Data" used, I can watch 30 hours of movies with no concern about possible deprioritization at 30GB.

With T-Mobile One, even with 10GB of HD hotspot/tethering (watching on a laptop); full HD streaming movies will be reduced to 3G speeds, after just 3.3 movies viewed in HD. That cannot be avoided. It will stay that way until the end of the billing cycle. Full HD movies viewed on the phone will reach the soft cap of 30GB after viewing just 10 HD movies per month.

Being able to throttle one's self at will (toggle Standard & HD streams) gives a person greater flexibility to manage data during the course of the billing cycle.

Some people need the most mobil streaming movies possible per month not the highest quality. Families with small children might need three times as much movietime when traveling. Of course if a person only wants to tether 3 HD movies a month with T-Mobile One, there is no reason to self throttle. If a person only wants to watch 10 movies per month on their cellphone using T-Mobile One, there is still no reason to self throttle.

BTW: I absolutely love the term "Self Throttle"

Thanks for originating the term.

In our house we  can self throttle three lines for possibly over 90 hours of video per month. Since we don't need to watch over 3 hours of viideo per day we  can unthrottle ourselves  whenever we chose to watch HD.

• tmo_marissa

Hey rbob!  I'm sorry that you bumped into this - it looks like you're not alone.  I checked our ongoing systems issues lists and it seems we've identified that users are having trouble turning off the HD toggle online and through the app.  While we don't have a timeline, we do have support teams engaged working to fix the problem.  I know you were planning on taking advantage of KickBack, so in the interim I definitely think switching the resolution within the app you're using is worth a try. 

- Marissa

• steveisu

Re: One Plus Promo: Can HD video option be turned off?

I've got the opposite problem, I can't keep HD streaming checked to "On".  Not through the app or the web.