What to do when Tmobile wont replace sim card an employee destroyed?

robertsdc

I ordered a sim card online from an independent seller. I verified it worked in an old phone I had, because it was a micro sim size (it recognized it but didn't connect because it was not yet activated). The problem was that my new phone, an LG V10, was nano sim sized. I took the sim to a Mobile store in Hickory, NC where an employee took a pair of scissors and mutilated the card, cutting it to "nano" size, then jammed it in my phone & didn't activate it. They adamantly refused to give it exchange a sim card for me. The sim card no longer works and is not recognized in my phone now. I refuse to pay $30 to replace it. I was told that I shouldn't have let the employee do that (while they refuse to admit wrongdoing). I have been to four different stores in 2 counties and no one will help me. They try to tell me I don't know what I am talking about and that my phone is broken. I went and bought an AT&T sim card and not only did it work but it all it needed was to be unlocked for service to work (my phone is fortunately paid for in full but unfortunately is still locked to T-Mobile). After exhausting their prepared answers, they told me there is simply don't know or that there is no way it's going to work for me. So now I have a service I can't use and a phone I can't use (it's locked to T-Mobile). I do not have a phone to call from because this T-Mobile line is the only one I have.

All replies

• theartiszan

Have you tried talking to the manager at the store that messed up the card? That store needs to take responsibility for what they did.

• tml1138

Guys read the first line of robert said:

"I ordered a sim card online from an independent seller. "

NEVER ORDER THEM FROM INDEPENDENTS.  Go to a corporate RETAIL STORE and just pay for a proper one from them. There should never be any cutting required or involved.

Sorry sir, but I'm 90% sure you won't get the corporate retail store to make good on a SIM you didn't buy from them.

• e2k

You can call customer care and ask them to credit you for the cost of a new SIM card. They might credit you and they might not. Either way, just shell out the $25 + tax and be done with it.

BTW, you are not supposed to cut micro SIM cards down to nano SIMs. The reason is because micro SIM cards are typically thicker than their nano counterparts, and can get stuck in and possibly damage your device. You're lucky that your SIM slot is still working. I'm not saying that any of this was your fault, but is the situation really that bad?

The store that haphazardly cut your SIM card is liable for the cost of replacing it. I would write a letter demanding the cost of a replacement. If they don't pay, you can take them to small claims court. Whether you think doing so is worth the time and effort is up to you.

• dandino08

this is something we as a company should be liable of regardless where the simcard came from since a tmobile store rep made a mistake by cutting and destroying the simcard..we need to replace it..and in the first place why that rep didn't tell the cx to just buy a new simcard instead...

• tml1138

dandino08 wrote:

this is something we as a company should be liable of regardless where the simcard came from since a tmobile store rep made a mistake by cutting and destroying the simcard..we need to replace it..and in the first place why that rep didn't tell the cx to just buy a new simcard instead...

You have a good and completely fair point.  And it sounds like he went to a retail store, spoke to the manager and made that case and they won't comp him for the card. But his first mistake was going to an independent to buy a SIM card in the *first* place. Why? To avoid paying 25 bucks for a SIM card? If someone has to worry about 25 bucks, then maybe affording the SIM card will be the least of their problems... 

• robertsdc

The SIM card was purchased through Amazon with an Amazon certified and T-Mobile certified seller. The SIM card was fine. What was not fine was the employee of the store lying to me and mutilating the SIM card with a pair of scissors, knowing full and well that a MicroSIM could not be cut down to NanoSIM size.

To summarize my points (since they are being misconstrued and misunderstood) I will list them below:

1) The SIM card was a valid & working SIM Card, sold by a certified independent seller

2) The SIM card was verified as working in 2 different phones before the T-Mobile employee destroyed it

3) The T-Mobile employee & manager of the store acknowledged the "error" and apologized but did not offer a replacement

I WOULD have purchased the $25 SIM kit (as it went to $25 that week) UNTIL the employee butchered it.

• tml1138

On point 1 - doesn't matter - they're still an independent. All "certified" means is they're allowed to put T-Mobile logos up at their store and they give money to T-Mobile to use the name. The word 'certified' doesn't mean 'reputable'. If they had been 'reputable' I'd argue they'd have sold you the right size card to begin with.

On point 2 - Ok but not germane to the core topic which is your third point:

On point 3 - did the corporate retail store offer to sell you a SIM card of the proper size and you said no? Or did they just decide to take a shot at trimming the card without your consent? If they trimmed it and you didn't know they were going to do it, call customer care and raise hell. If you knew what they were going to do, that's consent and you probably will not get much help there. You can try to go to a different T-Mobile-owned retail store and see if they'll help you out. Tell them the previous corporate retail store ruined the card, that they won't help you and that you'd like to get comp'ed a card so you can use your service.

• robertsdc

In any event, T-Mobile admitted the error and the employee admitted to negligently cutting my SIM card. I went back to the store, filmed their responses (I live in a one-party consent state), played it back to them and higher ups (a "regional supervisor" and then customer care) and still received no assistance on the issue. I burned through at least 75 minutes on a tracfone complaining to customer service to no avail. I never consented to them destroying the card in such a way and never would have approved of it had I known what I know now. To even drive my point to them, I also had purchased an AT&T sim kit that same day after they had cut my card, in a vain effort to prove to them they destroyed my card. The AT&T nanoSIM worked (of course the phone was locked to T-Mobile and the SIM had not cellular service), but it proved that the T-Mobile employee had broken my T-Mobile SIM card. Yet still, I couldn't get any responses other than "we're not responsible for our retailer's actions."

So, I went to an AT&T store two days and told them what had happened and within 30 minutes, they credited me with a month of free service and allowed me to trade in my phone for an unlocked version (plus a $40 fee, about the same price as one of those sketchy "unlock" services) which would work on the AT&T network (because T-Mobile wasn't about to unlock it and I didn't want to deal with them anymore).

So, even though T-Mobile admitted wrong-doing, they won't take responsibility for it. As that was a shared line, T-Mobile is about to lose 6 more lines to AT&T, all because of this unfortunate episode.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Good to know there wasn't anything I could do about it and that it was solely the T-Mobile store's fault.

• tml1138

robertsdc wrote:

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Good to know there wasn't anything I could do about it and that it was solely the T-Mobile store's fault.

Depending on the state you are in, you could also consider filing complaint with the state's Attorney General to see if there is any recourse there as well.

Frankly I don't blame you for being upset one bit if they're the ones who made the mistake. I'd be mad as !@#$

• tmo_mike_c

This is such a horrible experience and I feel bad this happened to you. Were you able to get this handled and replace your SIM? If not, please message me back. I'd like to work with you to see what else can be done. Thanks!