If I switch from simple choice unlimited to T mobile 1 do I lose unlimited "binge on" tethering?

dmurdock

The main feature I use on my simple choice unlimited plan is that binge on videos don't count when tethered to a tablet/device. Long trips I just turn the hotspot on and my kids can watch what they want on their tablets (on Netflix). I called customer support and they honestly didn't know what I was talking about. I went to T mobile store and they told me the data has ALWAYS counted when tethered (which it hasn't). Does anybody know for sure?

FYI when I look at my account, it says I have Binge On enabled and "Get FREE tethered video streaming on popular sites w/o using your data"

This is what I'm wondering about on the "T Mobile 1" plan

All replies

• ducky78

When you use your mobile hotspot feature on your plan, you MUST identify how much you can use when tethering with multiple devices. If you have a 5gb hotspot then you can typically use up to 5gb, same with 10gb and so on. With the new one plans, I not only saved $20 on my new plan (one) But i also got to signup for the no taxes and fees in addition i just linked my hotspot data @ 10 gb for free. If your using a simple choice grandfathered plan, you may want to change it and save more $$

As far as i know bout the Binge on service, It's really not that great. It's a streaming service that only will put out to 480p hd video. SO if you use youtube, netflix, hulu etc, It's a stream to your device not out streaming, in some cases you have to "define unlimited". In some cases you may not see the data usage with that feature, but if the CS agent didnt know about the binge on service, they may have done away with that service, as it was limited to signup for, and was only available to the tmo simple choice users.

Either way to fully answer your question, monitor your data and make sure

• ducky78

tmobile one plans are a simplified usage plan, no, the data that you would use with your hotspot would be set on how much you'd setup in your cycle. Binge on service wouldn't be available if you switch to a tmo one plan as far as i know. After looking at the services you can add, binge on isn't a part of the add on services, therefore you'd lose that service. Honestly, I'd recommend updating to the tmo one plan and instantly sign up for the 10gb hotspot tethering. If you use a little data during your cycle, you shouldn't exceed the threshold. Binge on to me sucks, It didn't stream in full 720p, I had to find out the hard way with this. Just make sure you don't go past 28gb per cycle, because then you'd be "limited" in data service and be put in a lower bracket to usage. All the best!

• dmurdock

Thanks...I did some thumbnail figuring and with two kids in the backseat on their tablets 10gb won't work. Staying with Binge On

• artart

Simple Choice is better for me.

I prefer to have the most streaming movie data for tablet viewing available for the lowest cost.

In my case, the Simple Choice unlimited 4G LTE data plan with 7GB tethering allowance permits me to stream unlimited movies on my laptop or tablet via hotspot. No mater how low the quality of the "Binge On" video might be I can still watch up to 30GB of video befofe I MIGHT experience deprioritization because of cell tower congestion.  30GB per month is the amount of data that a T-mo supervisor quoted to me as the total amount of "On Network Data" currently used to deterimine the 3% user deprioritization threshold.

Netflix states that: "Watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video." https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Using those numbers, with "Simple Choice Binge On" I can watch 30 movies per month per line, before I might be deprioritized if there is cell tower congestion. Even if the data is slowed when the towers are congested, the  4G LTE speed will return when the tower  congestion ceases.

Again using the Netflix numbers, using the "One Plan" with 10GB of HD tethering, a person can watch only 3.3 movies per month per line before the speed would then be reduced to 3G speeds for the whole remaining month.

Using Simple Choice Binge On with 3 lines provides 3x30 movies for a total of 90 movies per month, or more if there is no tower congestion..

Furthermore . . . If I want to watch some movies in HD, I can disengage Binge On for those selected movies. I do have that option. The T-Mobile One plan has only ONE Option. That is 3.3 movies/month before slowing to 3G speeds.

For me the Choice is Simple.

* A word of caution. One should be careful to not tether more than 7GB of non Binge On data. If  7GB (tethering) of regular browser data usage is exceeded, unlimited streaming video ceases since the hotspot no longer works for the rest of the billing period.

T-Mobile One might be better for some others

Others might not want to watch more than 3.3 movies per month on a tablet or laptop without a landline. After switching to the One Plan however, if a person does need to stream more than 3.3 movies on a tablet each month, he could get unlimited HD data for an extra $25/month. Considering that cell tower congestion might still trigger deprioritization @ 30GB, It is possible that he might still only get 6.6 more HD movies a month for $25 when a tower is congested.

My Conclusion

I have given the option of switching to T-Mobile One much careful consideration. I prefer to have maximum available data for streaming movies at a minimum cost. Highest quality of image is not my personal priority. I have three lines of Simple Choice, unlimited data, 7GB Hotspot, with the Binge On Option. It is nice to know I can stream 90 movies per month on my tablet if I ever want to.

I just thought I would share my perspective which might not be applicable for the individual circumstances of others.

Art

• artart

Unfortunately my first post in the forum contained a series of unintended mistatements.

There doesn't seem to be an option for me to revise my coments once posted.

My intention was to compare the numbers of hours of movies not the numbers of movies.

I left out the word "hours of" preceding the word "movies".

Below is the post the way it should have appeared.

Perhaps the mods might be able to remove my original post.

Simple Choice is better for me.

I prefer to have the most streaming movie data for tablet viewing available for the lowest cost.

In my case, the Simple Choice unlimited 4G LTE data plan with 7GB tethering allowance permits me to stream unlimited movies on my laptop or tablet via hotspot. No mater how low the quality of the "Binge On" video might be I can still watch up to 30GB of video befofe I MIGHT experience deprioritization because of cell tower congestion.  30GB per month is the amount of data that a T-mo supervisor quoted to me as the total amount of "On Network Data" currently used to deterimine the 3% user deprioritization threshold.

Netflix states that: "Watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video." https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Using those numbers, with "Simple Choice Binge On" I can watch 30 hours of movies per month per line, before I might be deprioritized if there is cell tower congestion. Even if the data is slowed when the towers are congested, the  4G LTE speed will return when the tower  congestion ceases.

Again using the Netflix numbers, using the "One Plan" with 10GB of HD tethering, a person can watch only 3.3 hours of movies per month per line before the speed would then be reduced to 3G speeds for the whole remaining month.

Using Simple Choice Binge On with 3 lines provides 3x30 hours of movies for a total of 90 hours of movies per month, or more if there is no tower congestion..

Furthermore . . . If I want to watch some movies in HD, I can disengage Binge On for those selected movies. I do have that option. The T-Mobile One plan has only ONE Option. That is 3.3 hours of movies/month before slowing to 3G speeds.

For me the Choice is Simple.

* A word of caution. One should be careful to not tether more than 7GB of non Binge On data. If  7GB (tethering) of regular browser data usage is exceeded, unlimited streaming video ceases since the hotspot no longer works for the rest of the billing period.

T-Mobile One might be better for some others

Others might not want to watch more than 3.3 hours of movies per month on a tablet or laptop without a landline. After switching to the One Plan however, if a person does need to stream more than 3.3 hours of movies on a tablet each month, he could get unlimited HD data for an extra $25/month. Considering that cell tower congestion might still trigger deprioritization @ 30GB, It is possible that he might still only get 6.6 more hours of HD movies a month for $25 when a tower is congested.

My Conclusion

I have given the option of switching to T-Mobile One much careful consideration. I prefer to have maximum available data for streaming movies at a minimum cost. Highest quality of image is not my personal priority. I have three lines of Simple Choice, unlimited data, 7GB Hotspot, with the Binge On Option. It is nice to know I can stream 90 hours of movies per month on my tablet if I ever want to.

I just thought I would share my perspective which might not be applicable for the individual circumstances of others.

Art