Samsung S7 Edge Nougat Update Fails

rbrt_k

It gets 31% through the "Android is updating", process, then kicks out to the white T-Mobile bootup splash screen and starts up. After startup I get a notification that the software update failed, and then eventually a popup about log data having been gathered and the option to report it - where I pick "Report". This occurred a week or so ago on the automatic OTA update, then several times today on manually initiated OTA updates

Tried various "fixes" found on this forum and elsewhere:

1, Wipe Cache - wiped successful but encountered same failure on subsequent manual software update attempt.

2. Factory Data Reset - reset successful but subsequent manual sw update done prior to google login had same failure.

3. Did Google login then another manual software OTA update - same failure.

4. Attempted to use Samsung Smart Switch (V 4.1.17022_20) app on PC to phone. Supposedly the PC app is supposed to offer to update the software when I connect via USB, but no. It reports that "Your device software is up to date: PK1 (TMB)". The only action options it gives are Backup, Restore, or Outlook Sync.

Phone has plenty of internal memory - over 20 GB available. Fully charged. Solid wifi connection. My wife's S7 Edge (same age) had zero problems with the automatic OTA update it received last night.

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Samsung S7 Edge Nougat Update Fails

Did you try the initialize option in recovery on smart switch?

• rbrt_k

Tried that just now – no help. Smart Switch app says: ” ‘Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge’  does not support initializing. Please contact our service center.”

• theartiszan

That is really strange. Haven't seen that before at all. Was the phone modified or rooted before?

• lazzoro

I ran into the same issue the other day with Smart Switch not recognizing my phone. You just need to reinstall the drivers, an option in smart switch, and it will recognize your phone. Let me know if that helps!

• rbrt_k

I did get Smart Switch to recognize my phone and even let me attempt to start a software update, but at that point it splashed up a new all-white window and just stuck there with no clues why.

Had a little better progress at the Best Buy “Samsung Experience” desk. The consultant there downloaded the T-Mobile Nougat image to his laptop and attempted to load it using his technicians-only “Samsung Tools” program. Unfortunately that also balked right away declaring something to the effect that the load image did not match to my phone. He spent about 25 minutes on the phone with more Samsung Tech Support, both doing more figurative head scratching while looking at this & that, with the conclusion so far being that while everything looks good to go to them, the Samsung Tools utility thinks that Nougat is already on my phone and won’t reload it. (I got the impression it may be possible to force it, but there’s too much danger that might brick the phone.)

Ran out of time today when the consultant had to leave. Will go back to have him try a few more things tomorrow, e.g., another factory data reset. Likely scenario at the moment seems to be having him declare the phone defective and getting it sent in under the Samsung warranty to have it fixed.

• theartiszan

Before doing that I would suggest doing some research on a tool called Odin. It isn't something T-Mobile will support nor offered by Samsung directly, but you can find it on the internet as well as the full stock image of the newer software that you can force the install of the new version and does not work like a standard update. Sort of like reinstalling windows 10 over windows 8.1. While it isn't directly supported or a directed option and there is a very very small chance of bricking the phone, it is highly unlikely. I would really recommend looking into that over an exchange. But that would be the next option if Samsung can't fix it.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey lazzoro and rbrt_k seems like Best Buy was a pretty good option as this point. Did either of you have any luck? Please keep us updated and let us know what happened. Thanks!

• captcoolhand

do yourself a huge favor. Don't bother updating to new software. Nougat is garbage and you will be unhappy!