Branched to a new discussion.

LTE extremely slow in San Francisco

fightinfilipino

I just switched to T-Mobile from AT&T, and at first speed seemed fine. I was getting a solid LTE connection with good bandwidth.

However, today my LTE connection is extremely slow. Using testmy.net set to San Francisco servers, I'm only getting 126Kbps down. This is with full bars and the LTE connection indicating LTE or LTE bonded. I'm in the middle of the Financial District, near Embarcadero BART.

My APN is set to fast.t-mobile.com, and I appear to be on IPv6. What gives with the terrible speeds? I was unhappy with AT&T, but at least their 4G had ok bandwidth!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: LTE extremely slow in San Francisco

Oh boy fightinfilipino we definitely want you to get the fastest speeds available. I'm seeing this area is covered in LTE so I'm curious, how long has this been going on? Are you indoors or outdoors? You could try giving the phone a restart and reconnecting to T-Mobile after a manual network selection. We appreciate you making the switch to T-Mobile and we we'll do everything we can to help you out.

• fightinfilipino

tmo_mike_c wrote:

Oh boy fightinfilipino we definitely want you to get the fastest speeds available. I'm seeing this area is covered in LTE so I'm curious, how long has this been going on? Are you indoors or outdoors? You could try giving the phone a restart and reconnecting to T-Mobile after a manual network selection. We appreciate you making the switch to T-Mobile and we we'll do everything we can to help you out.

thanks for the response. this is both indoors and outdoors. indoors it's happening when i'm near the exterior of a building or in the interior. outdoors it's just...happening.

i've tried rebooting the phone a few times now to see if it's just a connection glitch, but no joy.

i've manually selected the "T-Mobile 4G" network after rebooting and still seeing the same problem.

will try again on my commute out of SF.

edit: i suppose i should mention that i signed up for a T-Mobile ONE plan, and that i'm still well under 1 GB of data thus far, so i don't believe it's a bandwidth limit issue.

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for the additional info. What kind of phone are you using? I know you checked the settings already but some devices have the ability to reset network settings to the defaults and this can help. You could also check the phone's software version and make sure it's up to date. As odd as it may sound, out of date software can cause some issues like this so it's worth it to make sure you're running the latest version.

• fightinfilipino

tmo_mike_c wrote:

Thanks for the additional info. What kind of phone are you using? I know you checked the settings already but some devices have the ability to reset network settings to the defaults and this can help. You could also check the phone's software version and make sure it's up to date. As odd as it may sound, out of date software can cause some issues like this so it's worth it to make sure you're running the latest version.

on a OnePlus 3T handset, Android 7.0 Nougat.

• tmo_mike_c

Awesome! Thanks!

In some cases, it may be helpful to even delete the APN settings entirely and add them back on Non T-Mobile phones. Of course, you'll wanna give it a restart if you do that. I'd still like to know if the speeds pick back up if you run a test in another area. That'll help point us in the right direction as to what we'll wanna do next.

• fightinfilipino

tmo_mike_c wrote:

Awesome! Thanks!

In some cases, it may be helpful to even delete the APN settings entirely and add them back on Non T-Mobile phones. Of course, you'll wanna give it a restart if you do that. I'd still like to know if the speeds pick back up if you run a test in another area. That'll help point us in the right direction as to what we'll wanna do next.

ok, so i deleted the APN settings and added them back. download speeds remained around .5 to .7 Mbps until around 7:30pm, when they started going up to 1.5 Mbps, and then 10 Mbps around 8pm.

i then left the building i was in to commute home. speeds outside stayed around 10 Mbps. i'm now home in the East Bay area and getting 20 Mbps down. this is all on LTE cellular data connection. i turned Wifi off to isolate the problem.

throughout all of this, i'm seeing full bars on signal strength. i downloaded the SignalCheck app to be sure and have been seeing what seems to be a strong signal, with LTE bands 4 or 12 indicated mostly.

any clues what is going on?

• tmo_mike_c

I suggest that you Contact Us and have Tech Care file a Service Complaint for you. Since the speeds went up when you left for home, it's worth a shot to have our Field Techs check out the troubled location. Just a heads up, the complaint may come back asking to test your SIM in a known working T-Mobile device, but filing the complaint is the next best step to bring some attention to the service you're getting there.

• uxoriousa

Just to chime in on this.

I'm a long-time (happy) T-Mobile user, but over the past 6 months to a year, the speeds have progressively gotten worse and worse.

In the Mission, there are places where the network struggles to deliver 1 MBit, and all over San Francisco I'm happy to get 2-3 mbits these days.

You guys *really* have to do something with the network here!

• hotpie

I agree. Pretty much the entirety of the Caltrain line is slow download speeds. Either not even LTE or really slow download speeds even though there is allegedly an "LTE" connection. Better network quality would definitely be appreciated. Thanks T-Mobile!

• mzannad

I just want to add that I too, (and everyone I know in the SF Bay Area), experience terrible, almost unusable service throughout the Bay Area from T-Mobile.  I switched from At&t just under a year and I am constantly regretting my decision.  Around my home on Church and Market, and around my office by Levi's Plaza the speeds just don't work.

I am using an Unlocked iPhone 7, I've reset Network settings, I've reset all Settings.  I've done everything short of a full Restore of my iPhone.

I switched to T-Mobile One because of the international Data, but I really feel it may not be worth it if I can get Data on my Home Network!

PLEASE FIX DATA IN THE SF BAY AREA! PLEASE

Best