mrdoh

I have a Pixel phone, and am using a prepaid plan (Simply Prepaid). Am having several problems with wifi calling on the Pixel, and am looking for comments. Like if I upgraded to a T-Mobile One plan instead of using a prepaid plan, would wifi calling work any differently? I've tried my iPhone 6S on the prepaid plan with the same SIM, and wifi calling on that works perfectly, no problems...so I just don't know if upgrading my plan will affect any of this:

1. If I don't answer an incoming call, it never goes to voicemail. The call will repeat several times (???), then just end without ever going to voicemail. I can make an incoming call go to voicemail by rejecting it several times, but otherwise unanswered incoming calls don't go to voicemail. I'm thinking it kind of looks like its trying to forward to voicemail but failing several times.

2. Callers to my Pixel phone do not hear the usual ring indication while they're waiting for me to answer...they just hear silence, so it sounds broken. And, at the very end, if I don't answer, they hear only a busy signal and a "call failed" indication. So calling my Pixel seems really broken to callers.

Like I said, if I put the SIM in my iPhone and use wifi calling (which is used automatically in my low-coverage house :-), it works fine. Callers hear the ring indication while they're waiting for me to answer, and unanswered calls go to voicemail as they should.

Any comments on this? Given that the iPhone works well, I feel that the Pixel should, too. By the way, I first tried a "reset network settings", and that didn't change anything. Then I tried a full factory reset and reconfigured the phone and settings manually...that took a while :-), but no change, still the same problems.

Help!!!

All replies

• mrdoh

Re: Pixel phone and wifi calling problems?

Okay, put the SIM back in the Pixel, tried it again, and this time unanswered calls do go to voicemail without seeing several rounds of calls for one call. It may be that the full reset that I did helped a little.

However, callers still don't hear the usual ring indicator, so it seems like the call didn't go through, until it goes to voicemail (or I answer).

Slightly better, still not acceptable.

• tmo_marissa

Hey mrdoh!  I'm sorry your transition to the Pixel hasn't been as smooth as we'd like.  It sounds like you were able to get one of these wrinkles ironed out - how is everything going with the second complication you mentioned?  To be honest, since the Pixel's not a T-Mobile device, our troubleshooting options for issues unrelated to the network are a little limited.  I checked our System Issues log to see if this was reported elsewhere as a Wi-Fi calling issue with TMO branded equipment - and we don't have anything current or emerging regarding missing ringback tones (or actually any issues with Wi-Fi calling today - woot!).  I did a little digging online, too, since this is the first I've heard of this issue, and I was able to find this Google Support thread about the same issue - it looks like it's been reported at least across two carriers (though I won't name names of the other).  This makes it really seem like a device issue - which is a bummer, because from what I hear the Pixel is otherwise perfect.  We do have some users with Pixels here in the community, so maybe one of them will note the thread activity here and jump in, but in the interim, can I ask if you've had a chance to reach out to Google about this?  If it's happening to multiple Pixel users across networks, then reports are definitely going to help highlight the issue, and I'm curious to hear what they'd say!

- Marissa

• mrdoh

Thanks for your kind reply, tmo_marissa, really appreciate it. There was just too much wrong, so I took my Pixel phone back to Project Fi. Wifi calling works correctly on Project Fi, and I've found that this time around wifi calling is being used a lot more than last time, a welcome discovery. Everything works, unanswered calls go to voicemail, and the caller hears ringing when they call my phone (I've tested these things thoroughly now *smile*).

So I have reason to feel that what I was seeing on T-Mobile is more a problem with the way that wifi calling is handled by T-Mobile software. Those were such ground-zero functional problems that I don't see that much testing has been done with the Pixel phone. Or there's no list of known problems made available by T-Mobile.

I was disappointed to see that T-Mobile has not credited back my unused portion, I only used it for a few days after activation of my account. Well short of the normal 14-day "remorse" period. On the other hand, when a similar thing happened with Republic Wireless after a couple of days, they immediately credited me back with the part of the first month that I didn't use. I see a real difference between the way that T-Mobile operates in terms of billing than Project Fi or Republic Wireless. That's life, different companies operate in different ways.

Anyways, thanks again for trying to help me, shows great customer service and follow-through!

• gan777

I just purchased the Pixel XL from Google and discovered the same issue.  When using Wi-Fi Calling, people who call my number hear only silence instead of a ring.  As a result, most are hanging up before I can answer the phone.  If I do answer the phone, everything works just fine.  I can make calls without any problems and the call quality is great on both incoming and outgoing calls.  The only issue is with the caller not hearing any type of ring.  I have opened a ticket with T-Mobile support.

My wife has the same phone on the "other" carrier and she does not have this problem with hers.

• baileybelmont

Hey! I go similar problem with my Pixel. I bought it at February and winter was still cold. And I noticed, that when I bring it from outside at home, where the temperature is about 20C, it can't find wifi at all for about hour or even more. So everyday I couldn't listen to spotify, watch videos or even write my essay, because I had no internet connection. Everything ended when in a week I brought Pixel to the store I bought it in and they just changed it to normal one. o, I have no more problem with new one since that day.

• chefj

I continue to face this issue. T-Mobile has given up helping me, citing the 'it's not our hardware' nonsensical answer.

I'm chatting with Google Pixel support as we speak, but expect nothing good to come of this. Frustrating, annoying, enough that I simply turned off wifi calling (or, rather set it to LTE preferred), which has mostly fixed the issue, though my reception is again terrible in the house.

• chefj

A little more data today:

I called T-Mo again today on a whim, and here's what we deduced:

Incoming calls from T-Mo WiFi callers behave normally.

Incoming calls from any other lines/numbers fail as noted to both ring and forward to VM.

Waiting now for T-Mo to process a new engineering ticket--will try and remember to update upon resolution one way or another.

• zoeyyeoz

Same problem here as well. This has been happening for some time now. I only recently realized that the calls were not going to VM nor were they ringing back to the caller.

• mrdoh

For me, ended up selling the Pixel on Swappa where I bought it, and joining my wife on Verizon using an iPhone 6S Plus. Wifi calling now works perfectly at home for me, and my joining my wife's Verizon family plan only increases the cost of the plan for us about $25/month, so a $25/month incremental cost for my cell service. I'd much rather be using the Pixel, but I couldn't find a cell provider that had fully working wifi calling with it. I tried T-Mobile, Verizon, Project Fi, and Republic Wireless, none of which worked right for wifi calling at my home on the Pixel. AT&T and Sprint don't support wifi calling on the Pixel at all.

On the other hand, wifi calling works perfectly on the iPhone on both Verizon and T-Mobile (and AT&T and Sprint as well, of course *smile*). So I have a wide choice of providers using the iPhone. I think that Project Fi was the closest to working correctly on wifi calling. It also seemed that T-Mobile and Republic Wireless put the Pixel into "Wifi preferred" wifi calling mode, but they both had something else wrong with their wifi calling.

Maybe the Pixel 2? We'll see how that goes. There are a couple of solutions that I found, neither of which I liked enough to use. One was to root the Pixel phone and use a root app that turned off the cell radio when the phone was on wifi. That has the disadvantage of having to screw around in order to take each monthly security update from Google. The other one was to get the femtocell offered by T-Mobile or Verizon (the Verizon Network Extender or the T-Mobile CellSpot). That doesn't fix wifi calling, though, and it has to be kept working at all times. So I took the easy way, but I miss the Pixel. I've thought about going with a Samsung Galaxy S8, but then I don't get the monthly security updates from Google, or the immediate iOS updates from Apple. And I can't root the Samsung phone if I want to because of Knox, as well as liking the nearly bare-bones Android experience that I got with the Pixel much more than the layer that Samsung puts on top of Android.

I guess being particular about one's phone does come with a price *smile*.

• sdavies2720

@mrdoh -- thanks for your update.  I've tried t-mobile's extender and it was not very helpful.  I may just turn off wifi calling. At least this way I know what the problem is and what to do about it.  Come to think of it, I may turn wifi calling back on when I need to get some work done  .

• jcrawford79

To those who are still having this issue, my incoming Wi-Fi calling issue seems to have resolved over the past couple of days. You might want to try it again and see if yours has as well. I'm not sure if there was a software update or what but it seems to have finally resolved.

• mrdoh

Thanks very much for the update! Like to hear more from others. I don't personally have the Pixel anymore, but would be nice to hear if its working for others as well. Specifically, the problems with callers not hearing the ring indication that they expect, and unanswered calls going to voicemail as they should.

• magenta2144689

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
                                I'm ready to start a new job hunt and I can't have potential employers not being able to call me during the day.

When I last contacted tmobile about this their solution was for me to stop using WiFi calling. This isn't an option for me since I have absolutely no cell service in my office.

• tidbits

You have to bring it up with Google.  It's Googles code, and no one touches their software.  If it isn't work, but all other devices are working then it has to be their code.  This is one of the reasons why carriers want to be hands on when it comes to software testing and features.  People complain that it is taking too long or that they are not getting updates fast enough.  Just some food for thought.

• mrdoh

You know what, it isn't Google's fault. I've been using my Pixel on Verizon now for a while, and found a way to turn on "Wi-Fi preferred". This works perfectly with the Pixel on Verizon, wifi calling is fully functional. Callers hear ringing when they call me, and calls go to voicemail. Texts, voicemail and all works great with the Pixel on Verizon. So this is T-Mobile's problem all the way. Even "Cellular preferred" setting on Verizon works perfectly, except it is as it says, it will try cellular calling first. So if there's just a little cellular signal there, there will be some time taken at the beginning of the call to switch over to wifi.

I would think about the T-Mobile 4G/LTE CellSpot "mini-tower" for your house. I'm using the Verizon 4G/LTE Network Extender, which I got so that I wouldn't have to depend on wifi calling at home. Gets me 4 or 5 bars of signal strength throughout my house, and works a lot better with a lot more status information than the old Verizon 3G Network Extender. Also helps my battery usage at home...using the Network Extender gives me lower battery usage at idle than using wifi calling, although both work well.

Anyways, any wifi calling problems that you see on T-Mobile belong to T-Mobile. Other cellular providers don't have these problem, so they're not in Android.

• tidbits

mrdoh wrote:

You know what, it isn't Google's fault. I've been using my Pixel on Verizon now for a while, and found a way to turn on "Wi-Fi preferred". This works perfectly with the Pixel on Verizon, wifi calling is fully functional. Callers hear ringing when they call me, and calls go to voicemail. Texts, voicemail and all works great with the Pixel on Verizon. So this is T-Mobile's problem all the way. Even "Cellular preferred" setting on Verizon works perfectly, except it is as it says, it will try cellular calling first. So if there's just a little cellular signal there, there will be some time taken at the beginning of the call to switch over to wifi.

I would think about the T-Mobile 4G/LTE CellSpot "mini-tower" for your house. I'm using the Verizon 4G/LTE Network Extender, which I got so that I wouldn't have to depend on wifi calling at home. Gets me 4 or 5 bars of signal strength throughout my house, and works a lot better with a lot more status information than the old Verizon 3G Network Extender. Also helps my battery usage at home...using the Network Extender gives me lower battery usage at idle than using wifi calling, although both work well.

Anyways, any wifi calling problems that you see on T-Mobile belong to T-Mobile. Other cellular providers don't have these problem, so they're not in Android.

Verizon uses a different protocol than T-Mobile does...

Verizon also is ALLOWED to be hands on with it since they have a exclusive deal to sell the Pixel.

It's Google's code, and they are the only ones that can touch it.  If it doesn't work right T-Mobile can't go in there and make it work... Only Google can...

FYI the 5X and 6P work out fine. If they used the same code then the Pixel should work just fine, but It doesn't work for you but works on those for various other people.  If it was T-Mobile's fault it isn't working it would be a much larger issue...  However just for the sake of showing where to put your complaint to have Google fix the problem.  It's been a random long standing problem varying between carriers and the pixel.  It isn't exclusive to T-Mobile.  Google actually marked them low priority on their bug pages last I remember and don't expect a fix any time soon.

Google Groups

Google Groups

• mrdoh

If what you're saying is correct, that a fix will take a long time, then this doesn't sound like the right cell provider for magenta2144689. Or for anyone that needs wifi calling on their Pixel. Really too bad if that's the case. As far as the protocol goes, both T-Mobile and Verizon use 4G/LTE and VoLTE. Not sure what protocol you're talking about, If it's GSM vs. CDMA, well, if you're using 4G/LTE, those are out of the picture. Wi-Fi uses common protocols.

There are a few carriers that support wifi calling on the Pixel. Only T-Mobile and Verizon of the big 4, and the others that I'm aware of, Republic Wireless and Project Fi also have wifi calling working on the Pixel. So the only broken one I'm aware of on the Pixel is T-Mobile. What other cell providers are broken for wifi calling on the Pixel?

• tidbits

There's more than 1 wifi calling protocol.  There's more than one authentication protocol.  Much like video and audio.  There is no real standard that all carriers follow.  It took years before SMS was standardized and all carriers used to same.  Just like 4G where there was HSPA+, WiMaxx, LTE, and a few others before 4G was standardized.

If you clicked on those links you will see it affected Verizon users here and there and not just T-Mobile users.  It affects some Euro carriers as well.  The problem with the pixel is it's Googles code and their distribution.  T-Mobile can't test their code against their network UNTIL long after the update comes out and running.  All T-Mobile can do is point to Google because of this.  There is nothing T-Mobile can do to fix the problem.  It would be different if you had a carrier branded as they paid manufacturers to incorporate code and they do testing to make it work prior to an update going to those devices.  It's a different animal.