iPhone voicemail transcription

woodstocknick

Has voicemail transcription stopped working for anyone else? I'm talking about the transcription built into iOS 10, not the extra voicemail-to-text service. It was working fine for the last 5 or 6 months, then stopped abruptly about 3 weeks ago. Since then, all messages say "Transcription not available." Apple punted me to T-Mobile, who punted me back to Apple. They both say "Well, it's beta." I get that it's beta, but it's weird it was working fine all along, then just stopped like someone flipped a switch. Trying to figure out if T-Mobile disabled something.

The transcription is far from perfect, but you can take a quick glance and get the gist of the message without having to listen to it. I had come to rely on it as a timesaver.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: iPhone voicemail transcription

You're absolutely right about this being a time saver. I looked up this features and it does mention Visual Voicemail is needed in order for this to work. Have you made sure your VVM is working properly? We may need to troubleshoot that first in order to make sure the transcripts work. Please keep us posted.

• woodstocknick

Visual voicemail is enabled or else I wouldn't be getting voicemails.

I receive visual voicemails so that's not the issue. The issue is voicemails are no longer being transcribed.

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for that info. Have you tested while connected to Wi-Fi to see if the same thing happens?

• woodstocknick

Yes. Same result. Completely wiping and setting up the phone as new doesn't fix it either.

• tmo_mike_c

Okay well thanks for trying. If it's not working on Wi-Fi, this let's us know this wouldn't be coming from the T-Mobile network. Is this still in the beta stage? Even if it is, you would think there'd still be an escalation path that could be followed to get this working or at least report it to the beta team. I wish there was more T-Mobile could offer but beyond making sure data and VVM works, we'd need Apple (or at least their beta team) to take a look at this further.

• woodstocknick

It's already been escalated to the Apple beta team and they said it is a carrier issue.

• morac

I don't think it's a carrier issue as I have a 7 Plus with AT&T that has the same exact problem ("transcription not available") and I first noticed the problem at about the same time (Feb 11) right after doing an erase and restore from backup (which I've done before without breaking transcription).  Unfortunately I don't know when transcription stopped working since the next oldest voicemail I had was on Dec 27 and it was transcribed. 

My understanding is tthat if visual voicemail works (meaning voicemail can be played from the Phone app voicemail tab), then any transcription issues are on Apple's end.  As for the beta status, I'm pretty sure that's just the actual transcribed text, not the feature itself.

• tmo_mike_c

That's rough, especially since you're caught in the middle of all this. I agree with what was stated above.  I'm leaning on this being something we'll need Apple's help with to resolve. Since this is something specific to Apple's service, and your VVM as well as your data works, a fix from Apple seems to be the next logical step. T-Mobile engineers can look at your data connection and VVM service with a trouble ticket, but since you're not having problems with them, that escalation path doesn't seem to be necessary right now.