Phone reboots and power cycles

bvelasco5

After charging phone and attempting to turn on, it reboots and power cycles. How can I fix this?

Thanks, Bert

All replies

• Do you have insurance on the phone?  Sounds like you might have a hardware issue especially if you cannot factory reset to see if the software is an issue.  What model phone do you have?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Re: Phone reboots and power cycles

Hey bvelasco5 - how is your phone doing these days?  snn_555 made a great point above regarding a master reset, which model Note are you using?  Maybe you could try one with the hardware keys since it doesn't sound like going through the settings menu will be an option here.  Let us know if you still need help!

- Marissa

• smiceli3

This is a major, major issue with the Note 4s.  I've had problems since November.  There was initially a workaround...but the issues appear to have resurfaced again.  Issues started exactly at the 2 year mark of the phone, when most people are just paying them off.  I've worked on this tirelessly for months (factory resets, new batteries, etc.) and am 99.99% sure this is a software issue that has ultimately bricked these phones.

• tmo_marissa

Just wanted to check in with you and see if you had any luck with that hard reset bvelasco5 - were you able to get this Note back?

smiceli3 - that's such a bummer to read.  It sounds like you've tried everything possible - was this a T-Mobile Note 4?  Were you carrying insurance on your line?  That would extend the warranty that we honor - were you able to get your phone replaced?  Lastly, just wondering if you had a chance to reach out to the manufacturer during your research, it sounds like you've been dealing with this for quite a while & I'm just curious to hear if Samsung had any input!

- Marissa

• smiceli3

Absolutely no luck whatsoever.  It is a TMobile Note 4, but never carry insurance because I've never had any handling accidents and entire phone models getting bricked typically isn't something I try to protect myself from.  I haven't contacted Samsung as I'm anticipating needing a few hours available for the call which isn't really possible right now.

Pretty disappointing situation.  $800 in payments over 2 years to yield zero benefit.  I was looking forward to the lower bills for at least another year or two.  The Note 4 was running beautifully until Android 6.

• sharif.rizal

Ha I'm on the same boat as you are. I wanted to hold on to it until Note 8. I take care of your equipments very well and never needed an insurance. I've been with T-Mobile since Voicestream time and never had issues with their updates until now. One of my family member has the same model running 6.0.1 with Nov 2016 update (with the latest update notification), its running very smooth and absolutely no issues. Its very disappointing that a minor update that is supposed to improve device performance and security ruining the phone. Please let us know if you contact Samsung. These are two years old phone, I don't think they will offer any warranty to replace it. tmo_marissa is there a way to roll back to the previous version or Android 5.x?

• tmo_marissa

Hey all!  Just wanted to drop in and see if there were any updates on this issue for either of you.  Were you able to complete a reset bvelasco5

- Marissa

• zimfer

Updates on Samsung phones - at least on T-mobile - have been a catastrophe. I've had nothing but problems with my Note 4 since it forced the update to Lollipop. Constant rebooting, overheating, immediate battery drainage. I've done everything right and taken immaculate care of my phone. I always keep it in the case, keep it charged, use security software, don't download apps outside the Play Store, keep some free space on internal storage and my SD card, reboot it daily. Amazing that this all happened one week after my warranty expired. I removed the SD card, wiped the cache and did a factory reset and thought it was going well, but after an hour it's doing the same thing again.

I do pay for the insurance but I don't think it's fair that I should pay $175 deductible for something that is absolutely no fault of my own. I guess that's my punishment for putting my trust the wrong company.

• stetson82

I found that this helped me, but I'm not sure if it will work for anyone else.  My phone was running great until the most recent update and like the rest of you, I took great care of my phone.  About a week after the update, my phone started freezing, crashing, and rebooting.  After several master resets, clearing the cache partition, and countless hours trying to figure out what went wrong, I noticed I it really had a problem after the screen had "timed out".  I went to "Settings -> Lock screen, then set it to None."  My phone has a few glitches, but it has made my phone usable again and for the most part it is working.  There is definitely something wrong in the underlying software and possibly bootloader that needs updated to fix this issue.  Hope this helps!

• sharif.rizal

I had similar issues with screen too. When I try to enter the password, it will lag then time out and eventually hang. Disabling the screen lock is not an option for me as my phone connects to my work email and their security policy requires a screen lock. After looking through several forums, found an app called WakeLock (by Darken) that keeps the phone's cpu running when the screen goes off. Option other posters recommended is #4 (Partial wake). I've been running the app for almost 18 hours now, no issues and phone is very responsive. I don't see any battery drain issues. So its safe to say a software glitch that is causing this issue. Hopefully their next update will have a fix for this issue. Until then, I'll have to depend on this App and remember to enable it whenever I reboot the phone.

• febzz

I started experiencing this issue since last week. Out of nowhere, my Note 4 started to lag and freeze. At first I thought maybe it was the battery too, so I got myself a brand new Anker Battery. And hey, nope it's not a battery issue. Then I reformatted my phone, and yes, it was still lagging and freezing.

Fast forward to this week, last night, I got the mmc_read failed message. Shoot me.

Now I've been using the Wake Lock app and it's set to Level 4 (Partial Wake Lock). It's been much better with this App running. Of course, my battery takes a hit. But at least the phone is usable, as long as I don't restart the Phone.

My gf's phone is exactly the same as mine, Note 4, and we're exactly on the same firmware version. She has no issue at all. We've switched batteries as well and her phone works fine with any battery.

I never rooted my phone, and I've been using only the original, official firmware pushed by T-mobile. My phone is running the latest firmware (EQB1) released last month. The problem didn't start right after my phone was updated. Only since last week.

Now, I've been scouring the Internet and many say this is a hardware issue, but some say too that this is probably caused by the firmware. Does anyone now know better if this is a hardware or software issue?

I was going to get myself another Note 4 but then if this is a firmware issue, it could happen too to a new Note 4. If this is a hardware issue, then a new Note 4 may not get this problem.

There's also a conspiracy theory saying that Samsung purposely did this so as to force all Note 4 users to upgrade their phones. If this is a firmware issue, can we file a class suit? Sigh.

UPDATE 1:

I just came back from the Samsung Experience Center. I also talked with Samsung, T-mobile over the Phone today.

So basically, from what the guy over at the Samsung Experience Center told me, a few months ago, many Note 4 Sprint users had this exact same issue. Basically the firmware update caused the phone to malfunction. In the end Samsung replaced all the affected phones. I went there, talked to him, and initially I wanted him to reflash my phone but he then told me that this issue was basically a faulty firmware. Reflashing wouldn't really help because the firmware itself is faulty. The firmware could have affected (damaged) the hardware. That this exact same issue has happened in the past with Sprint users.

I then called Samsung hotline up and talked with, fortunately, a friendly and helpful rep who was willing to document everything and escalate the issue on my behalf. She told me that she would call me back in a few days to update me on how the case is going.

At this point, I'll just have to wait and see.

UPDATE 2:

And apparently I just learned that Note 4 in Europe and Sprint here in the US just received a latest firmware update around 300-400mb in size.

"The firmware update description reveals that it brings better stability and performance as well as optimizations for improving battery efficiency. This Galaxy Note 4 update also comes with the March security patch that has 73 fixes for Android OS vulnerabilities and fixes for a dozen vulnerabilities that Samsung found in its own software."

Fingers-crossed, hopefully this update will soon come to T-mobile and other carriers and fix our issue.

• sharif.rizal

febzz Thank you so much for the detail update. I'm also hoping that the upcoming update will fix this issue.

Hopefully we'll receive this update by the end of this month or beginning of May.

• tmo_marissa

Just wanted to check in with you all - I wish I had news to share but at this point I don't have any updates to offer.  I reviewed our known issues for the device and the only crash/reboot error that we have listed is specific to freezing that happens while using Chrome version 48... the issues you have all outlined here seem much more widespread and I certainly wish I had more to offer.  febzz have you heard back from that Samsung contact you made?

- Marissa