How to undo Android 7 upgrade back to 6.0.1 on S7

xenon2000

I am so mad at myself for jumping on the Android update. Normally I love the latest Android. But 7.0 Nougat on the S7 is too vanilla. Seems most if not all the TouchWiz has been removed. I don't mind change if the change is good and I can do the same or better. But a few things I noticed right away that are big issues with me.

1. No more left/right sliding top shortcut keys for the top 10. Only a static 5 and without text. Have to pull down the whole shade for all shortcuts with text. This also means that I can't see the Wifi SSID in the text like before.

2. No more quick access to the auto brightness toggle checkbox. Just the brightness slider. You then have to go into the drop down menu to access the auto toggle on/off. I often toggle the auto setting in complete darkness or when in theme parks for more battery control. Not daily, but pretty often.

3. Notifications are now bright white with black text and I can't seem to get it to follow my themes. I liked the darker notifications with larger text on 6.0.1. But the biggest issue is the coloring. Apps such as Waze would stick to the top of the notifications list and be a blue background. Easy to switch to running Waze. Now I have to rely on the recent apps view. Overall I find this notifications center to be harder to use and items run together more.

4. Phone app no longer has a separate tab at the top for Favorites. It has been moved to the top of the Contacts list. This works and is ok. But I prefer the larger button style of the Fav tab. And it seems there is 1 extra step to edit contacts.

5. Keyboards. Both my wife and I have noticed that we make more typos on the keyboard changes. Not sure how that is even possible. Maybe the spacing is different? Active areas different? Not sure. But seems the keyboard in all apps is affected.

6. Settings screen, is white and doesn't do well with some themes where the title text is white and the settings background will remain white, causing the title bar to be hard to read. Might be fixed later with more themes. But I have to basically use the default one to avoid this.

7. Default internet browser no longer has the X next to search terms so you can remove individual items from the list of recent searches.

and more, but those are the ones that jumped out instantly and have been really bugging me the last few days of using it. I do like the updated Camera app, so would be sad to see that go. But overall, the OS changes are driving me nuts. Mostly with the notification center.

So is there a way to easily revert to the previous 6.0.1?

All replies

• theartiszan

No.  Unfortunately there is no way to downgrade.  Sounds like some of it is just theme issues that the developer of the theme needs to correct. For some of the other things you mentioned i never noticed but do remember them working differently never.

But alas,  there is no real way to downgrade.

• gymswim

Totally agree with you about this poorly designed update.  Another gripe is that the WiFi icon on the title bar no longer identifies what WiFi signal I'm connected to.  To determine if I am I my site I have to do an extra step every time to check.

Also as you said, the organizational display of favorite contacts is difficult to read. 

I would give anything to  downgrade.  Alas we can  hope software designers read these pages! 

• theartiszan

When comparing to stock android, it looks like Samsung was trying to look more like that. I would write to Samsung and post on their forums to get feedback to them.

• tidbits

Re: How to undo Android 7 upgrade back to 6.0.1 on S7

Samsung and Google developers don't read these pages.

Their have their own pages which you can give feedback.

• xenon2000

I thought my post title was clear. I am asking the forum here for help on how to downgrade to 6.0.1 that I had before 7.0. Since the OTA update was given to me by T-mobile, I really wish they would also have a solution to revert. So I might be stuck asking for help from XDA.

• tidbits

That's your best option.  There is no official way to do it without voiding the warranty. The update isn't given to you by T-Mobile.  Unlike popular belief updates come from the manufacturer.  Carriers don't touch code like people think they do.

No manufacturer or software company for that matter would give an outside company their proprietary code.  Something to think about. 

• xenon2000

Android updates explained: your guide to Google's upgrade process - AndroidPIT

That is not completely true. Link explains the upgrade chain. First Google updates Android. Then it's available to the phone makers such as Samsung for them to mod for their devices. THEN, the carrier does touch it. They test their apps, drivers, location, etc. And finally the carrier pushes out the updated and finalized firmware with everything bundled.

Now of course this means the biggest changes happen first at the OS level with Google Android code. Then Samsung and phone makers can choose to use a different launcher for things like TouchWiz UI or HTC Sense. Drivers and more. And lastly, carriers test and make changes for things related to their network and included apps.

So in my case, my biggest complaints are with Samsung for being lazy and mostly just pushing 7.0 to the S7 with little changes over the stock Android UI. If I wanted stock, I would have gone with the Pixel phone.

I came here first as the Carrier is the one pushing the OTA update and and the carrier/phone locking mechanism for applying firmwares without hacking. So technically they have the power to offer a way to push a legit T-Mobile 6.0.1 firmware as a downgrade. Though I would expect it to require a full wipe of the phone since it likely won't have a way to downgrade the app setting and keep all your data. Which at this point I am fine with starting over to get 6.0.1.

• tidbits

It was already debunked by manufacturers themselves when that article was written...

What happens is manufacturers get all that stuff in advance and carriers only test the update.  HTC, Sony, and Motorola showed their timelines, and it goes against what Androidpit wrote.  That process is based off what people remember of BREW which is OPEN SOURCE GPL licensing and not ASL.  You honestly think manufacturers would give their proprietary code to carriers to modify to their liking?  Not even Qualcomm does that with the CDMA... 

Google, and Sony did an AOSP project and found out carriers did LITTLE to delay updates.  The biggest delay was licensing.  Google as of 5.0 released the PDK to combat this.  Carrier modifications like VoLTE, RCS, and such is given in advance to manufacturers and took an average of 2 months due to testing.  The carrier apps lik T-Mobile TV took take no time at all.  All that happens is they put it in the system folder, and can be updated on the fly through the Play Store. Licensing took up to 8 months for whatever reason like didn't meet SAR, or even Bluetooth, or WiFi not working within the licensing terms by those consortium.

Samsung doesn't even allow what you on their own unbranded and purchased directly from them...  That isn't a reflection of the carrier.  Carriers just push what was contractually agreed on.  Samsung signatures go up not down.  Downgrading with an older signature automatically fails.  You have to talk to Samsung to exchange the device or give you an option to downgrade using their tools.

If you need to understand what ASL is and why Android is not 100% open source.

• xenon2000

Thank you for clarifying. Though I never said or implied that any proprietary code was being given to the carriers.They do test and as everything is in the firmware for the OTA update, that is bundled by them as well. I have already said that it's first and foremost Google that is the code source for the OS. And then Brands for mods and drivers. Drivers of course as actually written by the hardware companies like Qualcomm, etc. But bundled in by Samsung for each device with different combos of hardware. And lastly, the testing and app bundling by carriers.

This isn't a discussion about what is open source. Though I would love to see any links that clarify the carrier firmware release path.

I haven't seen anything that would explain that carriers don't have the ability to offer a 6.0.1 firmware specifically for their carrier branded S7 in a way that is validly signed. Though it would be more of a wipe and not a downgrade. This is what I am trying to discuss. Though I haven't seen anything that shows that isn't possible. I already know if that I ask Samsung, they will tell me to talk to my carrier about this.

• tidbits

Like I told you Samsung has it setup you can't push an update with an older signature. It will fail every time. You need a flash tool that Samsung has in their possession to downgrade without voiding the warranty which bypasses the check(they have a backdoor) and need physical possession of the device.

You can check with BestBuy where they have a Samsung Experience area and see if those Samsung reps have said tool. You can check XDA to see if they have the files and the tools there even if they may not be official.

• xenon2000

Sorry, I misread the end of the previous post of yours. That is interesting. I will try to contact Samsung then if the issue of using an older firmware is blocked by them and not the carrier.

• xenon2000

tidbits , thanks for the added info. So if the carrier says the firmware doesn't pass their testing, they have to have Samsung fix it? I did not know that. Seems like a lot of extra work for Samsung versus just a method to allow T-mobile to bundle and sign the OTA update themselves with changed. Oh well. Thanks for the info. I will now ask Samsung Support. Thanks again.

• hallda

tidbits

That stinks, are you saying using Odin with an older image (whatever the latest Marshmallow build) can't be used to put back on the S7?

I ask for calification, because on my S5 I was able to easily do that using Odin, especially during that version on T-Mobile that caused major lag and battery issues.

And I know this isn't the case for everyone, but warranty is not a real issue for me, as the phone has long been out of warranty.

• tidbits

Read above

I said XDA may have what you need, and it may void your warranty.  If it trips knox then 100% it'll void the warranty, but if it doesn't if you have to do any warranty repair you will have to upgrade to get any support from Samsung(and T-Mobile due to Samsung policies).

What the guy wants is for T-Mobile to push an OTA to get his device to downgrade.

• tidbits

You said carriers do touch it. They do not in the way articles like AndroidPit and the media makes it out to be.

It's more like.

Manufacturer to carrier. Pay us this and we'll do these things. Carrier agrees and gives them what needed like wifi calling, VoLTE, and RCS

Manufacturers incorporate code and puts basic apps in the system folder.

Finish then sends to carrier to ensure they didn't break VoLTE and such. Pass goes out to People. Fail goes back to manufacturers to fix.

HTC on their website has a picture time like. Motorola does too if you are part of their MDN. Sony showed theirs but its not as detailed.

Oh just for food for thought. The way people think happens if it did happen that way for the past 8 years Carriers would have lost every lawsuit about updates, but they won them all because they are not as involved as the public perception. :)

• nubrian1

1. No more left/right sliding top shortcut keys for the top 10. Only a static 5 and without text. Have to pull down the whole shade for all shortcuts with text. This also means that I can't see the Wifi SSID in the text like before.

2. No more quick access to the auto brightness toggle checkbox. Just the brightness slider. You then have to go into the drop down menu to access the auto toggle on/off. I often toggle the auto setting in complete darkness or when in theme parks for more battery control. Not daily, but pretty often.

I'm really going to miss #2, I liked being able to toggle the check box to auto adjust the brightness.

• gymswim

BEWARE FELLOW GALAXY 7 EDGE USERS.  DON'T UPDATE TO NOUGAT. IT'S A DISASTER.  STAY WITH MARSHMALLOW.  YOU WILL HATE YOUR SAMSUNG PHONE

IF YOU UPDATE, YOU CAN'T GO BACK. 

SAMSUNG OPERATING SYSTEM 7 HAS TAKEN  SAMSUNG FROM BRING THE ANDROID LEADER TO THE WORST IN USABILITY. 

AMONG THE THINGS YOU WILL LOSE BY UPDATING:

NO LONGER HAVE LEGIBLE FONTS AND COLOR  ON NOTAFICATIONS

NO LONGER RECEIVE VISUAL LED SIGNAL OF UNREAD TEXTS

NO LONGER KNOW WHAT WIFI YOU ARE CONNECTICUT TO

NO LONGER SEE COLOR NOTAFICATIONS OF APPS ON YOUR LOCK SCREEN

NO LONGER HAVE RELIABLE PREDICTIVE AUTO SPELL

NO LONGER HAVE FLASHLIGHT

NO LONGER HAVE SHORTCUTS TO YOUR MOST FREQUENTLY USED SETTINGS

• tidbits

gymswim wrote:

BEWARE FELLOW GALAXY 7 EDGE USERS.  DON'T UPDATE TO NOUGAT. IT'S A DISASTER.  STAY WITH MARSHMALLOW.  YOU WILL HATE YOUR SAMSUNG PHONE

IF YOU UPDATE, YOU CAN'T GO BACK.

SAMSUNG OPERATING SYSTEM 7 HAS TAKEN  SAMSUNG FROM BRING THE ANDROID LEADER TO THE WORST IN USABILITY.

AMONG THE THINGS YOU WILL LOSE BY UPDATING:

NO LONGER HAVE LEGIBLE FONTS AND COLOR  ON NOTAFICATIONS

NO LONGER RECEIVE VISUAL LED SIGNAL OF UNREAD TEXTS

NO LONGER KNOW WHAT WIFI YOU ARE CONNECTICUT TO

NO LONGER SEE COLOR NOTAFICATIONS OF APPS ON YOUR LOCK SCREEN

NO LONGER HAVE RELIABLE PREDICTIVE AUTO SPELL

NO LONGER HAVE FLASHLIGHT

NO LONGER HAVE SHORTCUTS TO YOUR MOST FREQUENTLY USED SETTINGS

I see just fine, and have no trouble.  Sounds like an app that hasn't been updated and is not compatible with the update.

I see the LED notifications.  Are you sure it's turned on?

You can see the network you are connected to by bring down the full toggle tab and you will see the network you are connected to.

I see the colors just fine? Did you install good lock?

I never used their predictive text or spell checker since forever.  I always felt it wasn't worth it weight.

flashlight widget?  yah that's gone, but it was moved into the notification toggles and you can move those around.

They are shortcut making apps that can do this, and chances are most of the most used ones are in the notification shade.

• theartiszan

I'm really enjoying the update actually.

• gymswim

I'm happy for you.  If you are interested, check out the thread on the Samsung website for Galaxy 7 Edge users.  You'll find many expert users who have encountered major problems that you may not have yet discovered.   If you don't have any of those issues after reading through all the comments, you probably should enter a comment there. 

• tidbits

love the new title "expert users".

On Samsung forums would mean it's worldwide issue and not a carrier issue...

• theartiszan

I frequent many other forums,  including ones for true power users and have not seen a large outcry of people complaining of problems.  Of the few that do,  doing a master reset or manually flashing the new version solved all of the one off problems that occur. And yes,  there were some changes to the location and interface that some people didn't like but some did and was a choice Samsung made during the beta which there were posts about.

Largely though i remember most people liking the changes and it made it a little more like stock Android which people liked as well.

• theartiszan

Screenshot_20170301-203531.png

My settings i can read just fine. Is this not what you see?

• gymswim

The settings screen shot matches mine.   But what in talking about is this.  See attachment. All the customization is gone.  No flashlight either like there was before.   

Bill

Scrawled from my Droid 

• xenon2000

gymswim The flashlight icon is there for me. Since you lose the top 10 shortcuts to slide across through, you will need to double wipe down and resort the order to include the flashlight in the first 5 row. And now there is a setting feature for the flashlight so you can set a default brightness. Because I also noticed right away that the flashlight wasn't as bright. It now defaults to 50%. So you can set that now. Which the flashlight is an improvement.

• xenon2000

Man, even just looking at these 7.0 screenshots make me sick! So much missing, lacking.

• gymswim

hi xenon,  wonder if you can recommend a procedure for activating my LED message light for new unread text messages.  Since the update, mine no longer functions.   The LED for email works fine. 

• xenon2000

FYI, I fixed the black top bar by applying a non-default theme and them applying the default theme again. That corrected the top bar in my SMS Conversations tab view. So now I can see the time there again and other icons.

I still really hate the font/size/colors used for the Notifications pane and other areas. But I still stand by my original list.

gymswim , I haven't found a solution for the LED txt notification. But now that I think of it, that is why I am lagging behind on my replies to incoming SMS messages. I don't notice until I unlock my phone and see numbers on the SMS app icon. NOT COOL.

Plus now I am seeing issues with photos on my SD Card. Did some searching and apparently that is a reported issue for the 7.0 upgrade. Good thing I backup my content often from my phone. It would show the images in the gallery, but when I touch the thumbnail it would give me a grey screen that shows a broken image icon instead of the image.

• gymswim

Thank you, xenon for confirming my suspicion that the LED text indicator was rendered inoperable.   I checked with  Samsung  and had them remote desktop into my phone and they gave up.  No mention by them as to if or when it will be fixed.  

I checked out some of the  7000 photos stored on my SD card and was relieved to find they were not adversely impacted by Nougat. I have not encountered (yet) any problems with the photo images.  Sorry to know you have.

Do you happen to know any details about the work timeline at Samsung   to issue the next patch? 

Also is there any truth to the statements I've read that  Google is mandating many of the objectionable changes like font size and menu gray on white deign that are causing many of us to go blind?  If that is true, I imagine,I and many others will  rethink buying a Samsung next time.  The attractiveness of the  Samsung OS design is what motivated many of us to buy Samsung in the first place.  That OS design and reliability has essentially evaporated and Samsung certainly doesn't seem to have delivered like they once did. 

Bill

Sent from my iPad

• theartiszan

I think there might have been a problem in the way the OTA got applied to your phone. I have no issues with the LED light for my text messages. It blinks once every 5 seconds when I have an unread text. Are you using the built in message program or another application?

• gymswim

I'm using the built in message application.  The email LED next to it works fine.  We have two identical phones in our family and the other phone has the same issue. 

Bill

Sent from my iPad

• theartiszan

That to me night indicate then there was something with the ota that didn't install correctly. I would suggest using a computer with smart switch to back up your phone and try doing a master reset and testing it again before you do a restore. If that doesn't work the software might need to be manually flashed.

• xenon2000

I solved my own question! yea!

I easily Downgraded from the official OTA 7.0 T-mobile update to the official T-Mobile 6.0.1 firmware without rooting and without tripping the Warranty Void flag and without tripping KNOX or anything else. And I am now back on the official T-mobile 6.0.1 firmware. Not rooted, not unlocked, etc. It does require completely wiping your phone as if you just got it from the store. But it was pretty easy and works fine. I am now just setting everything up again from scratch.

Not sure if I am allowed to post the URLs. Here is the overview:

1. Backup anything you want on your phone manually to a computer like photos/videos, and with the Samsung Account phone backup online.

2. makes sure the phone is 80% or higher charge.

3. SD and Phone contents will be 100% lost and wiped. Samsung Pay will be cleared, fingerprints cleared, etc. Will be like store new.

4. Download the official T-mobile firmware for 6.0.1 "G930TUVU4APK1_G930TTMB4APK1_TMB.zip" , that is the file name for the T-mobile S7 (non-Edge) phone. Extract contents.

5. Download the latest ODIN app 3.12.3

6. If you have already used your phone on the computer, the drivers should already be in place.

7. Run ODIN.

8. Turn off your phone 100%, wait a few seconds to shutdown.

9. Hold Vol Down+Home+Power buttons for a few seconds. And when the screen comes on, let go. You should now see a screen warning about firmward. Press UP to continue to the Download Mode.

10. Now plug your phone into the PC with the USB cable. If drivers are in place, ODIN left side will say "added".

11. Press the button for BL, AP, CP, CSC. and load each file. For CSC choose the "HOME_CSC" file instead of the just CSC.

12. Press Start and wait. You will eventually get a greet box in ODIN. And when the phone reboots you can remove the USB cable.

13. You will now need to go into Recovery Mode to wipe the cache. Regardless of what the phone is now doing, likely a boot loop. Press and hold VOL UP+HOME+POWER to boot into Recovery Mode. You will have a back screen with a text menu. Navigate with vol keys and select with power button. Choose WIPE/FACTORY RESET. Followed by WIPE CACHE. Then choose the reboot phone option.

14. Phone will then have a white loading bar for a while. And should now boot to the factory new welcome screen where you pick the language and continue.

Overall pretty easy. Other than having to start from scratch. The only thing I am trying to figure out now, is how to get Android to stop asking me to upgrade again to 7.0!

• gymswim

Thanks, xenon!  Your instructions really helped!  Nice toy have my flashlight icon handy.   How you found it and why the designers changed the design groom having a slider bar is beyond me. 

Bill

Scrawled from my Droid 

• theartiszan

And here is how I see my notifications with the default theme. I have no problem reading it as you can see below. (I did redact my last name)

20170301_204633.png

• xenon2000

I personally haven't had "issues" with 7.0 Nougat on both of our S7's (non edge). But I did list a lot of differences that are driving me nuts. Many of us would have bought a different phone if we wanted stock Android. I personally have been buying Samsung because I don't like stock Android.

theartiszan , and no... that screenshot is NOT very readable on my S7 compared to the previous 6.0.1 Samsung version. The fonts don't stand out, are smaller, lack of tile color, and lack of sort priorities. I have to look a lot longer at it to see what I want. I most definitely prefer the other version and the notification difference was the first and biggest thing I noticed. I also don't like how the Txt window hides the top notification bar. Makes it completely black. So I can't see other notifications, the time, anything... pure blacked out. I have to wipe down to see it. Stock default theme. Why would have even pass testing?

• jefferies

Hello and thanks but

I've been searching the t-mobile website and not found the zip G930TUVU4APK1_G930TTMB4APK1_TMB.zip.

Could you point out where it is? if not a specific URL then the path?

Looking at various posts where do you find the a trustable  ODIN and 6.0.1.zip files ?

• theartiszan

Look up sam firmware. Not fast as a free user but I have never had problems with their downloads. Just keep in mind that TMobile doesn't support this and there exists some risk of problems and possibly voids the warranty if it goes wrong.

• xenon2000

How does it void the warranty? It is the Stock T-mobile firmware and my phone is not rooted and the warranty void flag does not get tripped by flashing a stock firmware. There is no reason to believe that this will void your warranty. Now if someone tripped the Warranty Void flag, that is a different story. I had no issues with getting the stock firmware or the latest ODIN. My instructions cover the full process and as long as you do the wipe cache, etc, you will have a fresh stock Tmo 6.0.1 S7 again.

• tidbits

There is the possibly a chance to trip knox, and if it does it's Samsungs policy to void the warranty, and the carriers warranty is nothing more than a extension of the manufacturers warranty.  There have been cases where people have tripped their counter downgrading.

• theartiszan

He isn't saying this will for sure happen,  but that the possibility exists.  I have read posts where this has happened for some people downgrading. Phones were never rooted or anything and just the simple process of manually flashing an older official version has triggered the warranty void flag.

• xenon2000

That is interesting. Because all my researching on Google wasn't showing anyone tripped the warranty void flag when using the stock firmware for their exact phone and carrier going up or down in version. This was a major factor in my decision process on whether I was going to try to downgrade or keep it at 7.0. If there was any chance of bricking or tripping the warranty flag, I wans't going to try it. But I looked all over and the only people I saw have issues, were people that were using cross carrier firmwares or non-stock. But since I didn't see any issues for people with the Stock T-mobile firmwares, I decided to try it. Not sure how I missed people having issues with tripping the Warranty Void flag with stock firmwares. Anyway, I didn't find any of those reports and I didn't have any issues with mine and I actually flashed it like 3 times with ODIN because I thought I was doing something wrong. But I outlined the final process that worked for me.

• tidbits

There are people out there.  There is always a risk, and I am sure you didn't go through thousands of threads posts in a matter of days to find out who had and who didn't.  Glad it worked for you however.

• xenon2000

yes, there is always a risk. And no, I am not a robot and didn't read every single thread out there. Just saying that I spent at least 2-3 hours of researching and couldn't find risk of tripping the Warranty Void flag for the S7 using stock firmwares. And indeed, it worked perfectly fine for me. I am also sure that anyone that looks at my instructions and still feels conformable with them, is likely smart enough to make the choice of risk themselves as well. But sure, let's throw a disclaimer out there, which really is the default for the internet anyways. At your own risk, your fault, etc... whatever. I just posted info, people are responsible for their own actions. Mine didn't trip the Warranty Void flag and worked perfectly. The only annoyance now is the 24/7 constant notification on top that I have the upgrade waiting for me.