Allow Nougat 7.0 to be optional on s7edge

joshsc

Please allow those of us that want to keep version 6 to keep it and not upgrade to v 7.0.  It is unfair that I paid $700 for a phone and I can't prevent an "upgrade" that I know will hurt my battery life.  These upgrades ALWAYS compromise the battery and media reports (Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge Battery Life Reduces After Android 7.0 Nougat Update : TECH : Tech Times)  are showing this one does too.

I don't think it unreasonable to allow those of us that want to keep our phone the way we like it to do so.

Allow your customers to stay happy with their device and service.  I do not want to upgrade.

Josh

xxoo

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Allow Nougat 7.0 to be optional on s7edge

They are only saying it is 8.1 percent less than the previous version in the specific use case they tested in. Those tests never simulate real world usage. After upsetting mine I am getting much better battery life. With my usage patterns I would barely last a day before. Now the phone lasts about 1.5 days or longer with the same exact usage I did before.

• tidbits

Samsung code. You can't avoid it even with their unlock and unbranded. It is well documented.

• Besides regurgitating other sources, Tech Times is about as unreliable as you can get.  You can go on mass-reports of similar/same issues, but real-world use is the deciding factor.  I know some folks want to avoid updates, but besides them being automatic (at some eventual point) a lot of support will cease for older versions, and hardware that refuses updates that were meant to repair bugs.  Not to mention future features and apps that will require the update.

• joshsc

Besides regurgitating other sources...  ???  
                Listen.. I have had my tablet "upgraded" and a Samsung s5 phone "upgraded" -- BOTH ruined to nearly unusable status.  Check out ANY Samsung phone thread after an upgrade, this one included, and all it's filled with are people having problems.  And take this one already...Gmail stopped working, No LED notification after 7.0 upgrade, WiFi issues, Voice issues... And verified battery loss after upgrade (the point of posting the article).  Support ceasing?  Just because Google comes out with a new version of Android doesn't mean all the sudden my apps aren't going to work. That's a stupid reason to upgrade considering many cheap phones use lower versions of Android and are never upgraded to new versions, yet are still supported for security.  If it gets to the point my apps won't run, then I'll get another phone, but that would be years down the line.  I shouldn't be FORCED to have an update that cripples my device.   If you want it, have at it.  I don't and shouldn't be forced to. tidbits Yes it is Samsung's code, but it's TMobile's network that distributes the updates and they can prevent it if they want.

• T-Mobile sells the phones and tries to support them, but Samsung makes the phone's and controls the software.

• tidbits

joshsc wrote:

tidbits Yes it is Samsung's code, but it's TMobile's network that distributes the updates and they can prevent it if they want.

If push it out by contractual agreement.  Samsung doesn't have it in their code to bypass any updates, and warranties are based on updates as well.  You want them to waste resources to pick out everyone who doesn't want the update?  How are they going to do it?  Are you willing to pay for this system if it happens to raise everyone bill because of the resources they would need to ad?

• joshsc

No one's bill would need to be raised in order to allow someone to update the OS or not.  it's simple, just allow me to go to Update and update my phone if I WANT to, while not nagging me and forcing me to update if i DON'T want to.  This is not rocket science.  Even Google allows you to not update an app if you don't want to, yet everyone else doesn't pay a higher price for it if they want to.

• nubrian1

It's his phone, money, and warranty. He can do whatever he wants with the phone, he shouldn't be forced to do anything. If T-Mobile wants to raise their fees they can, it's a free market especially when we own our phones and are not under contract.

• theartiszan

Also the update is not forced that I'm aware of. The update service just runs and continues to notify you until you do. Only forced updates I am aware of were for the note 7 issue. But again, yes some people might have had problems after the update. This is a small subset of the people that received the update. And to say that it is all updates all the time, that isn't accurate. If you don't want to update, don't. Just there is nothing built in to stop notifying you of the update. You will either need to find a package disable program that will still allow you to freeze the update service or root the phone and manually freeze it with something like titanium backup.

• tmo_marissa

Hey joshsc.  I responded on nubrian1's thread as well, so please forgive me if this is overkill.  I want to thank you for taking the time to post and provide this feedback.  I can understand why you're concerned about updating (especially after reading reports like those in the link provided), but I do hope that this isn't the experience that all users who complete the update are having.  FWIW, this particular update had a Beta in addition to the standard T-Mobile testing process that always takes place after the manufacturer develops the software; so hopefully kinks are minimal.  I want you to know that when we do notice trending reports of device issues after an update, we pass that feedback along to our contact who works with the specific manufacturer.  Our Tech team trends reports as well; so if there is an issue that's seen across multiple subscribers, that info gets passed back to the MFR directly - ideally, for correction with future updates.
                          All this aside, I understand that you aren't feeling the update.  My understanding is that theartiszan is correct here - the update isn't being forced, to my knowledge - but there isn't a way that I'm aware of to stop the notifications.  I will forward your concern along with Brian's, but I can't make any promises that a selective update process or a notification disable option is something that will be on the table... still, it never hurts to provide feedback.  Thank you again for your input.

- Marissa