80% of Roaming Data used; Roaming Data turned Off

rad.denny

I was informed today that I have used 80% of my roaming data, but yet my tablet's roaming data has always been set to off! (My monthly service just renewed last week; I haven't left town or even been anywhere new, and this is the first time I have used apparently used roaming data.) How do I turn off roaming data completely?

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm, that's no bueno to be surprised with usage like that rad.denny.

Is there any chance you're near a roaming partner? For example, do you ever notice your tablet connecting to another carrier at all? There is a way to turn off the data roaming through the settings. Which one do you have?

• rad.denny

"There is a way to turn off the data roaming through the settings" . . .  Sorry, I guess I didn't word myself very well, but that is what I was referring to when I said that the roaming data has always been set to off. How can you tell if the tablet is connecting to another carrier? I have never seen that, but maybe I haven't been looking in the right place. I have the LG G Pad 8.0

• tmo_marissa

Hey there rad.denny!  It's definitely strange to hear that your tablet's still using roaming data even after you've disabled it.  Are you using the LG G Pad F 8.0, or the G Pad X 8.0? 
            Domestic data roaming allotments are based on your plan - but as long as it's domestic roaming, reaching that 80% or even 100% won't have any impact on your bill; you simply won't be able to access the roaming partner once you've hit the threshold.  Have you received any more notices?

- Marissa

• rad.denny

I have the LG G Pad X 8.0. I am not concerned about it affecting my bill. I want to be able to turn it off so that when I travel somewhere (domestically, that is) I will have roaming data available in case I wind up in a place where connecting to a roaming partner is my only option. And, yes, about a day of 2 after I wrote the original thread I received a message saying that I had reached 100%

• tmo_marissa

I have to say, I'm at a loss rad.denny.  The only steps I can find to turn data roaming on or off on your tablet are these settings - and barring that, it doesn't look like there's another way to ensure your tablet doesn't roam!  I took a peek at known issues for this tablet and we don't have anything listed that could be impacting this.  Have you noticed this happening again during your new cycle? 

- Marissa

• barcodeable

i have the opposite problem.... i try and try to turn roaming on my phone and tablet and i can never seem to get it to activate. I have absolutely no service in my house.... the service bars go to one bar and then zero bars. When people come and visit my house with their Verizon and AT&T phones.... they get FULL BARS.... i would love to have roaming in the house (in case of emergencies) i never get my text messages when they are sent... i get voice mails and notations of missed phone calls after i drive 50 yards away from my house.... Does Roaming work for everyone????? I will try this week to see if i can turn it on.... i can clearly see in the setup AT&T and Verizon available service to click on.... but when i click on it.... it doesnt allow me to access their service

it's sad.... i have 5 Tmobile lines.... 1 line can access wifi calling (maybe because its an iphone se) but all my oer crappy phones has wifi. alling capabilities.....  but it's not capable of making calls using wifi

Luckily i have a "Life Line" phone line.... i think it's under sprint service.... so i can call 911 and other emergency numbers if needed.

• tmo_marissa

Yikes barcodeable - I had no idea your in-building coverage was such an issue!  I must have somehow missed that in your previous postings.  Roaming partnerships generally cover areas where we have a lack of service altogether, so if you've got service once you walk outside, we may not have a roaming agreement that covers your area.  I'm sorry to read that you're not able to use Wi-Fi calling across the board as a solution for all of your lines; that's definitely the easiest way to solve an in-home coverage problem.  The one bar you mentioned - is that 3G or 4G, somewhere inside your home (ideally near a window)?  If so, maybe a signal booster would help you out?  I know you've been with us for a while, so forgive me if I'm barking up a tree that's long since been barked-to-death, but I just want to make sure we're trying to think of a solution here!

- Marissa

• barcodeable

i tried a cell spot thingy from Tmobile & i tried the other device by tmobile.... i guess it was a signal booster from tmobile and that didnt work either... i sent both devices back to Tmobile.... im just waiting patiently until Tmobile boost its signal in my area. The coverage has improved greatly in my area since 2007.... but not enough to have COMPLETE coverage in the house.... My wifi hotspot ZTE gets 3 bars of 4GLTE in the window of my house and about 2 bars everywhere else in the house...... so i know there is actual coverage there.... i need to test different devices to see what works best and what BAND is being used.... BAND 12 i think works the best in my house.... all this technology confuses me at times.... especially if i dont keep up with the ever changing technologies.... but so far i found that the iphone SE works the best in my home using wifi calling....so i may be looking to get more of those to accomodate all my FREE PROMOTIONAL VOICE LINES from T-Mobile

• rad.denny

tmo_marissa those are the steps I did, and yes, it did it again. (By the way, I have had this tablet since June. I have lived in the same pace and, for to most part, have traveled to the same places since June, and I have never had this happen until now.)

• tmo_marissa

Gotcha rad.denny!  It's so strange that this worked fine previously - did you have the data roaming disabled this whole time?  Did anything seem to coincide with this change - new software or a new app download?  It may not be a bad idea to do a little troubleshooting on the tablet itself to see if we can get this toggle to do its job!  Have you considered (or completed) a cache partition wipe or a master reset?

- Marissa

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Did the cache wipe or reset help at all?