claus14302

Good morning,

I purchased my iPhone 7 Plus from Best Buy in December 2016 and I paid it in full at the time of purchase. I purchased the AT&T version of the phone. However, I did not use it with AT&T. Right after I got home, I inserted the SIM card from my cell phone company, Walmart Family Mobile. They are using T-Mobile network, they are an MNVO of T-Mobile. The phone worked great with Family Mobile. All this time I thought that my phone is unlocked, since I bought the AT&T version and I'm using it with Family Mobile.

Last night I wanted to my number to H2O Wireless, an AT&T MVNO. When I inserted the H2O SIM into my phone, I got the message "SIM Not Supported".

This morning I contacted Apple chat and they told me that they do not unlock their phones and I have to talk with T-Mobile. They told me that since I used a T-Mobile SIM initially, it is now locked to T-Mobile. The phone is paid in full and I believe is not right for T-Mobile to lock my phone. Please help me !

Thank you very much.

The IMEI number of my phone is XXXXXXXXXXXX.

*edited personal info - Marissa

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: AT&T Iphone 7 plus locked by T-Mobile

Hey claus14302!  This is a strange situation, indeed.    Honestly, we don't have a way to lock previously unlocked equipment to our network that I'm aware of!  I'm a little confused, too - although I know you can purchase unlocked devices from retailers, I was under the impression that they'd be advertised as such and wouldn't be carrier branded. 
        When we submit iPhone unlock requests on our side, they're sent to Apple and then Apple completes the unlock remotely, so that when the device is reset it's open to any carrier.  You'd just need to make sure that the SIM you're inserting is for a company whose frequencies are supported by the device, and boom - in business.  But before we send the unlock request to Apple (before we even check the account's eligibility), the IMEI has to be present in a database of T-Mobile branded equipment that Apple has given us to retail.  If your phone is AT&T branded, I feel like it's unlikely that the IMEI will be present in that database, so I don't think we'd be able to submit an unlock request for you.  Does your receipt from Best Buy show that you purchased an unlocked device?  Have you reached out to them to see what they advise in this situation? 

- Marissa

• claus14302

Thank you for your reply, tmo_marissa. The last week was totally crazy for us. I ported both my number and my wife's phone number from Walmart Family Mobile (T-Mobile network) over to H2O Wireless (AT&T network) and when I inserted the H2O SIM card into my iPhone I got the "SIM Not Supported" message. I could not use my phones and almost had no access to my numbers, because of their plan and their terrible customer service. I thought I'm going to lose both numbers.  It took me a whole week and a lot of effort to bring (port) both numbers back to Walmart Family Mobile, so we're back to T-Mobile network now. The version of the phone that I bought in December 2016 is the one in the following link:

Apple iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black MN4D2LL/A - Best Buy

Best Buy return policy states that phones can be returned no later than 14 days. It has been more than 2 months now, so I highly doubt they'll take my phones back. I'll try to attach a scan of the Best Buy receipt for my iPhone 7 plus. At the time of purchase, when I asked the salesperson what "UNV" means on the receipt, he said "UNIVERSAL", and that means that the phone is technically unlocked.  Best Buy only sells iPhones for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. They do not sell the T-Mobile locked iPhones, so I specifically asked for the AT&T version, at the time purchase. To answer your question, there is not AT&T logo on the phone or on the box, but I know that I purchased the AT&T version. To me, it looks like the Walmart Family Mobile SIM card locked our phones to T-Mobile network. I used 300 dollars in gift cards, but I paid the full retail price for the phone, so there should be no subsidy lock. The item that cost 4.99 is the AT&T nano SIM card, I had to purchase that but never used it.

iphone 7 receipt.png

iphone 7 receipt 2.png

• claus14302

Hello again, tmo_marissa. Do you have any updates regarding this ? Both my phone (iPhone 7 Plus) and my wife's phone (iPhone 7) were purchased from Best Buy and were paid in full, at the time of purchase. If needed, I can try to scan the receipt for the second phone, as a proof of purchase. Please let me know if you need the IMEI numbers for them, I noticed that the first post was edited.

Thank you in advance !

• snn_555

This is a customer to customer forum.  We cannot access your account.  Neither can the reps here.  You'll still need to be in contact with T-Mobile via phone, store, social media, or chat.  The message was edited most likely to hide personal information considering this is a public forum.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • claus14302

Somebody clicked on the above post as the correct answer, but it was not me. I'm still looking for a solution.

This is the reply I got from Walmart Family Mobile:

"Walmart Family Mobile Sim Unlock Request
                        Sim Unlock Reference:  XXXXXXXX
                        IMEI:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for taking the time to contact Wal-Mart Family Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time because we are only able to provide unlock codes for Wal-Mart Family Mobile handsets. Please refer your unlock request for this equipment directly to the carrier that the handset was purchased from.

Thank You,

Sim Unlock Department
                        Walmart Family Mobile"

As specified in the previous posts, I first used my iPhone 7 Plus with them, Walmart Family Mobile. There are quite a few places on the internet where people say that their iPhones were locked to the first SIM card inserted. To be honest, I don't know were to go next. The phone was paid in full at the time of purchase, there is no delinquent account. If Family Mobile (the company that is using T-Mobile network) can't help me, where should I go next ?

• tmo_marissa

This seems so frustrating claus14302!  It seems that WFM is in the same position we're in - we are only able to request that Apple unlock equipment that is part of our database of branded IMEIs.  If I were you, I would contact Best Buy since they sold you the device as unlocked.  Thankfully, you still have your proof of purchase showing your IMEI!

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Hi claus14302!  I'm sorry for any misunderstanding - snn_555 is correct, since the Support Community is a user forum, we're not able to review account information or file unlock requests here.  I was asking about your Best Buy receipt not to encourage you to return your device, but rather to encourage you to consult with them and explain that the iPhone that they sold you as unlocked is somehow now carrier locked, and see what they would recommend.  Since your IMEI is on the receipt and it says "UNV" there, I'd hope that they'd be able to assist.

- Marissa