Digits App and ios 10.3 beta issues.

justins567

tmo_evan

Digits team,

First and foremost, this is more informational for the support teams then expecting a resolve but id like to share some issues i'm experiencing that have started while using the digits app on ios 10.3 beta 3.   As i'm a developer for my company i typically run beta software on my devices.   I understand that i run my own risk using beta ios software, though i hope by finding issues in such future versions like  this in turn helps your teams create a better product.

A.  starting with the newest beta ios ( released Monday 2/21) when using digits in cellular mode i now get the below pop up when attempting to place a call.  it used to just go straight in to the call inside the ios native dialer when i clicked on a contact.  when i click ok the call starts inside the native ios dialer as would be expected.   I assume the number displayed is part of my digits server end connection, as that number is saved as a contact called "digits connected"

image1.PNG

B.  Sometimes related to the above, my call will fail (bear in mind up till today on the new beta ios, i have never seen the pop up in the below image)... this only occurs while on cellular mode.  I have found that completely  closing ( double home click and swipe up) then reopening the digits app can resolve this issue for a little while.

image2.PNG

So far i seem to be receiving calls and texts just fine otherwise!

Digits app version 1.0.13 on ios.

Thanks team,  hope to see some exciting updates soon.

All replies

• tmo_evan

Re: Digits App and ios 10.3 beta issues.

justins567

The first issue is odd and we'll investigate that directly with our contacts at Apple and look to see if we're seeing the same issue on the upcoming builds.  Does this happen on all call that you make or only under some situations?  It is possible that this could be something particular to how certain carrier settings are represented on VZW, but we'll definitely have someone to look into it.

The second one is one we've seen before and hopefully it's simply a network issue that will be resolved.  Please let us know if you continue to see it frequently.

Thanks again for letting us know about these issues and for helping to improve the product.

• justins567

tmo_evan

A. the first issue happens every time i try to place an outbound call as of ios 10.3 beta 3. 

It's basically the exact same behaviour as if you do a google search for a business in safari and click the call button, the dialer will basically request that permission.  as exampled below.

IMG_0402.PNG

Good to hear that the second issue has been seen before,

• tmo_evan

Thanks for the additional info.  We're investigating why this is happening on VZW and ATT iPhones but not on those that are on T-Mobile.  Doesn't make a lot of sense, so we're reaching out to the source and hope that it's a small config change or something that can be changed since it would be very annoying to get that dialog every single time.

• justins567

tmo_evan

Howdy,   as i'm sure the teams are working very hard on this,  i did at least want to let you know the issue is still present across the newest iOS 10.3 beta (2/27) and Digits updated to 1.0.15. (2/28).

• justins567

tmo_evan

Any chance of some news on this issue?  its been a few versions for both ios and digits since it started.  ive gotten used to it by now at least

• justins567

tmo_evan

Hate to bug you again...   but any possible news here?  It appears apple released 10.3 to public consumption this morning (3/27), and id imagine its about to become a widespread issue for any ios digits users not on Tmo.

as of 11:30am i have not updated my iPhone to the public release so i cant validate anything till tonight..   but heads up!

• justins567

too late to edit it -- but it appears the update size from the latest 10.3 beta to the 10.3 Public release is huge. 2.2gb OTA..  here's to hoping there's a fix in there,  or coming soon!

Anyone on 10.3 yet that uses the app as a second line on say a verizon iphone able to verify?  I wont be able to till tonight.

• tmo_evan

[Confidentially.....]

We asked some of our friends down there and they were like, "What do you mean it doesn't pop-up a dialog to call the number when using the DIGITS app on the T-Mobile network?   It's supposed to...."

That is to say, we and they have a differing opinion on how this should work and for some reason when you run the DIGITS app on an iPhone on our network it doesn't popup the confirmation dialog but it does when using exactly the same build from other carriers.  We don't understand what dark-voodoo is involved here and they wouldn't indicate that we have any different settings than any one else.

Needless to say, it's not the experience we want and don't know when/how it got introduced on their side and/or what we have that is different.  We are still looking at how to circumvent since it's not the best of experiences.

• tmo_evan

Well the super bad news is that now this dialog shows up for all T-Mobile customers too :-(  definitely will keep at it to see if there's something we can do so it doesn't do this.

• justins567

ooo geez, leave to Apple and their Voodoo to complicate everything.  in an odd sense of saying it I'm "glad" its not just us one foot in the door Tmo folks   lol  

It will be interesting to see how Apple plays ball with this.  I remember when Wifi calling was first added to iOS and the way that went down!

Thanks for your persistence on this tmo_evan.  Shows the dedication this team has to making a great product!

Ps, not sure how to fix it but since this was marked answered, when we update it, this thread doesn't show up on the front page... Might be useful to bring it back to the front of the list..  I bet a few people are wondering!

oo and Pss.   when iOS 11(beta) comes out and breaks Digits totally (Apple Voodoo) - I'm gonna sit here and nag at you again! 

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!