sdjefferies

Even while talking on T-Mo to T-Mo VoLTE, there is a hazy/fuzzy noise in the background that is very annoying. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a software update out that can fix this? I have only had this phone for 5 days, if this is an isolated issue, do I qualify for replacement?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Oh no, sdjefferies, not the new phone!  I know we have a few Idol users in the forum, so maybe one will chime in - but FWIW, I combed Discussions that mention the Alcatel Idol and didn't find any mention of call quality issues, nor do we have any logged in our internal Known Issues for the device.  This definitely makes me feel like it may be a defective device - in which case we would want you to bring it back during the Buyer's Remorse window so that it can be exchanged for a new device, rather than later on when you'll need to complete a warranty exchange and the replacement may be refurbished - that would be a pain to have happen with a brand new phone.
        I'm guessing that you're using this phone in the same areas as your Lumia, and there were not any similar audio issues with that device, right?

- Marissa

• sdjefferies

Inorite!!! You are correct, I am using this phone in the same areas as my Lumia that never experienced it before. I ran some tests with my wife last night. I called 611 and they put in an engineering ticket, then we tried her iPhone on T-Mo, my Samsung work phone on AT&T, and my new Alcatel. The Alcatel always had the worst background hazy static behind the voice, but it was most noticeable on VoLTE calls with the iPhone. It's almost like the speaker is trying to hard to "clean up" any sound with quality and it is actually making it worse, if that makes sense. Before I go through the effort of doing a buyers remorse swap, I'd like to use a demo version of my Alcatel and do a test just to see if this phone does it across the board, or if mine is truly defective before I go through this effort. Would that be possible at a store. The last one I went to didn't even have the Alcatel on display.

• tmo_marissa

Oh man - that is a totally reasonable ask, but I don't think we're able to unbox a device solely for testing purposes (because technically it then has to be sold as CPO).  Do you have more than one store nearby?  Maybe another location does have a display - it could be worth reaching out to check?  I understand where you're coming from - why set up another phone if this is just the way that the phone works.  I'm still hoping that another user with the Alcatel will pop in on this thread, which would hopefully alleviate the need for this testing entirely.

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

Happy Tuesday sdjefferies!  I just wanted to check in and see if you'd been able to find a location that could let you test a phone, or if you'd heard the results of that engineering ticket.  How is everything going for you?

- Marissa

• kpo6969

Just a suggestion you could try.

If you don't use Wi-Fi calling or only occasionally set your sim setting to cellular-preferred or Wi-Fi calling off. That helped me with the Idol 4S and previously with my Lumia 950 and 640.