Message History

anotheruser25

Hello all,

I searched for this and didn't have any luck other than some of the bugs I've seen for message history.

I am on Chrome 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit) on Windows 10.

I notice that after about a week my message history disappears. Is there any way to keep this from happening? My theory is the cookie(s) that store this information in chrome are set to expire. When they do, my history is gone. Is there any way to change this setting to keep messages for a certain period of time (or forever in my case)?

The practical standpoint for me (and importance) is that I need to have a searchable message history for my job. I was using push bullet prior to this, but thought I would give DIGITS a try because of its practicality and promise. This is the one glaring issue (aside from bugs mentioned elsewhere in the forums) for me.

A side note: sometimes when I am away from my digits tab for a while, call and message history disappears. I found today that I can open a new tab, go to the digits web app, have it tell me that I have another instance of the web app open, close it, and find my message history restored in the new instance of the web app.

Thanks for the help!

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Message History

Hey anotheruser25, thanks for posting!  Right now, there's not a way to enable permanent message storage through the DIGITS app or web client, so you're not missing a setting.  The information is stored on the network for a short period to ensure it's delivered to any device that might connect during that time frame, but when you log out and back in, only the data still saved to the network (recent messages) will sync back.  This is a great use scenario for an alternative - I'm not sure if this is an option, but we will definitely pass the feedback along. 

- Marissa

• azdreamscape

For mission-critical messaging, DO NOT rely on DIGITS to sync all messages across all devices.

Perhaps future updates will bring this functionality.

For now you will need to stick with one device, or use some other solution.

• anotheruser25

No worries about that. A critical part of messaging is control over message history. I think it's an important aspect that will need to be added in. It'll be necessary for those who don't like (or need) message history. That will also depend on certain device limits (one of my old phones had a 200 message limit).

I know it might burden the network quite a bit to keep everyone's message history, especially for someone like me who would like to keep all of it. A solution might be to keep local storage that syncs to devices or attached to a cloud service like Google.