mikep630

Hi - I accepted the B11 OTA update on one of my ZTE Zingers and now it refuses to start.  On powerup it cycles through the boot screen a few times then enters system recovery.  Using the "wipe data/factory reset" action does not resolve the problem.

I expect I could recover the phone if I had a copy of the firmware or update to apply using the recovery "apply update from sdcard" action.  Where can I download this file?

Until I can recover this phone I'm concerned with applying the update to my second ZTE, but I'm also concerned about not applying it as the update appears to be related to google security.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: ZTE Zinger bricked by B11 OTA update

Hey mikep630!  I'm sorry your Zinger's not functioning - you mentioned you received this update invite on two ZTE devices - are they T-Mobile branded?  Can you tell me about how long ago they came through?  I'm a little concerned because the last Software update we have listed for the Zinger is B10 - both here on Support and internally.  We don't have software files available for download, though sometimes manufacturer's sites do.  I tried taking a look at the ZTE support site and don't see that type of program immediately available (and I couldn't find steps on our side), but it might not hurt to reach out to them and ask.  We definitely don't want you moving forward with updating again after this situation until we know more!

- Marissa

• mikep630

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.  Yes, they are both T-Mobile ZTE Zingers, model Z667T, android 4.4.2.

The working one is still on build Z667TV1.0.0B10, the "update" screen shows a pending update to B11 that says it includes google security patches only.  On the recovery screen the broken one is showing Z667TV1.0.0B11.  As I mentioned, the broken one failed to restart after the update was applied.

I looked at the ZTE USA as well and they did not appear to show any available downloads for this phone.

• mikep630

Hi, is there any news on this @tmo_marrisa?  While they're not expensive phones I would prefer to have them both running and both at the latest level rather than risk a security problem.  Not to mention paying for service for a non working phone - should I consider the non working phone dead and cancel the service?

I did email ZTE USA and they did not respond - though I expect they'd tell me to check with the TMobile as I assume the firmware is locked to you.

• tmo_marissa

Hey mikep630 - I'm so sorry for the delay here.  I don't have any updates yet, but I will definitely let you know what I find out ASAP.  I know it's been a little while, have you heard back from ZTE by any chance? 

- Marissa

• mikep630

Yes, please do tmo_marissa, I really would prefer the phones start working again as I do need them.

Nothing from ZTE USA, but I suppose that's no surprise - they will almost certainly point me back to T-Mobile as the carrier.

I do note that the update firmware version number Z667TV1.0.0B11 does appear to match the older one Z667TV1.0.0B10.  And I presume my ZTE looks at the T-Mobile site for updates when I use the update screen, does it not?  I'm a little surprised the T-Mobile software update list does not mention this new version as it almost certainly must be coming from T-Mobile?

• tmo_marissa

mikep630, I just wanted to check in and thank you for your patience.  I'm still waiting for confirmation from our contact regarding this update - none of our internal documents have been modified to include it, so at this point I'm still not able to confirm that it's an official T-Mobile update.  I just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten about you and will fill you in with whatever I hear back ASAP.

- Marissa

• mikep630

Ok tmo_marissa, thanks for the update.

I have to say I'm a little disconcerted.  If this is not an official t-mobile update would that not imply that either my t-mobile phones or the t-mobile update service has been hacked in some way? Should I shut down my working phone and service as well or do you think it's safe for now?

I have these phones for use in case of an emergency.  While I've done without them for now, I don't like to do so for too long and will need to replace them soon if this can't be sorted.  Of course my choice for replacements will be based on the outcoming of this hacking investigation.

If it's determined that it is safe to continue using the phone, would it be possible for me to get the previous update patch so that I can try to restore the one that's not working?

• mikep630

Hello?  What's the conclusion, was the T-Mobile support site hacked?  Do I need to keep these phones off?

It's been almost a month now, that's a long time to be without my emergency phones and it certainly is a waste of my account fees.

Can it really be so difficult?  Either the update is valid and someone knows ('cause someone there needed to publish it!) or your site has been hacked and if so it's best to come clean ASAP.

• tmo_marissa

Hey mikep630 - we're still waiting for a response as to whether or not T-Mobile released any OTA after the latest reported ZTE Zinger software update.  As far as we know at this point, referencing internal information as well as the document linked above, the B10 was the latest T-Mobile software update to the Zinger and it was released in May of last year. 

Though it's unusual that we would release an update this late after a device's release, I don't want to discount that it could have happened.  Typically our Support pages are updated with new software information as soon as possible after something changes; but in case we dropped the ball I want to exercise the benefit of the doubt.  T-Mobile can only offer support for updates that have undergone the process outlined here - Software update development FAQs, so I really hope we'll hear a response back soon.  I'm so sorry it's taking so long, I assure you I've contacted a colleague who works with ZTE equipment to be certain that an update to the page wasn't overlooked here, and I've enlisted additional resources to reach out on your behalf.  Please let me assure you that we will let you know as soon as we hear something back. 

- Marissa

• mikep630

Let's think this through.  It must be a released update as it's coming through on the built in settings "About phone", "Additional System Updates", "Software update".  Same way the earlier updates were installed - including the bug that requires the phone storage to be cleared as the updater miscalculates the available space.  If it's not from T-Mobile, where is it coming from?

It should take the team all of 1 minute to check the current published file update version.  And maybe one more minute to check the logs to figure out when it was published and by who.  And if it's not from T-Mobile it must be from ZTE.  So a 5 minute call to the ZTE rep for T-Mobile to confirm.  Unless you're suggesting that ZTE is operating maliciously as a foreign agent attempting espionage on US phones?  If that's the case then it seems very urgent to find out as this would become a criminal investigation.  Same if someone is able to hack into the update servers or the phones to trick them into accepting an malicious patch.  And warning us as customers would seem to be a top priority.

This is getting more and more convoluted.  And I'm still stuck with one bricked phone and another warning me of the need for Google security patches that I'm afraid to use.

device-2017-03-14-222220.png

• mikep630

So it's been a month now.  A month.  I've been without my emergency backup phones for the entire month. And wasted a month worth of fees.

Yet tmo_marissa you still can't tell me if my phones were hacked, or T-Mobile was hacked, or if this is a critical patch to close a serious security exposure.

Obviously I need to put these phones in the trash.  Can you tell me any reason I should stick with a company that doesn't have a clue whether they've released a security patch, they've allowed hackers to gain control of the phones they provide, or even more frightening compromised the T-Mobile support site?

I have visions of Yahoo - where T-Mobile discovers and reports years from now that it's site was compromised and our personal data was stolen.

This should have been a simple confirmation of the update and of providing me with a recovery file.  Instead I need to buy new phones and move my service, and spend time finding someone in the press to report this serious security breach to the public.

Out of due diligence let me ask - has T-Mobile taken ANY steps to reduce this problem?  Have you updated your support site to warn us not to apply the patch?  Or fixed the security flaw that's allowed the patch to be presented to our phones?  Perhaps you should be sending an SMS to all of your customers to warn and protect them?

• theartiszan

Just to be clear,  updates do come from the manufacturer and not the carriers. Manufactures are the only ones that can develop and release updates.

Typically the way it goes is the manufacturer develops a update,  the carrier approves it,  and then the manufacturer allows customers to get the update.

Either the manufacturer didn't work with tmobile on approval for this or tmobile documenting team hasn't updated the information. Which has happened before.

I find it highly unlikely that you were hacked or tmobile in anyway. Just a miss step in that process somewhere.

Most likely the problem you are experiencing is due to a corrupted update that got downloaded. This is not the first time a device has bricked due to a corrupt update. It doesn't happen often but can happen with any ota just due to their nature. Tmobile does not have the file to provide you to manually flash it though. That always needs to come from the manufacturer. Some like Samsung,  provide customers a way to do this themselves, however some do not. I could not find anywhere for this device to do that from the manufacturer though. If the phone is still covered under warranty you can work with either tmobile or the manufacturer to get it replaced. Some manufacturer also will reflash it if you send it to them. I would recommend doing that for the device that won't boot and holding off on doing the update on the other phone.

• mikep630

Thanks for your opinion.  You're not a t-mobile employee, right?  A t-mobile employee has stated they don't know the origin of the update.  It's their job to know.  You're trying to say it's not T-Mobile's fault.  Perhaps, but it certainly is their responsibility.  They should be unequivocal about the origin of any update. Not being able to find out quickly is unacceptable and implies lax security practices.

The phones are branded from t-moble, are running a t-mobile firme build, and are locked to t-mobile. They are out of warranty.  Someone broke something.  They didn't die of old age and I didn't drop them.  I followed instructions to the letter.  Now I can't use one phone and it seems unsafe to use the other since this is a security update.  So it was t-mobile or zte, I don't really care who, but *I* am a t-mobile customer, I bought them as t-mobile phones.  I've never established a customer relationship with ZTE.  And it's been a month without ANY answer.

I realize you're trying to help, but I see nothing that would restore my trust in the company.

• theartiszan

I am not a tmobile employee,  correct. I do work in the software industry for a global company (can't tell you which one though) and have a very good understanding of how these processes work in the software industry. While you did purchase the phone from tmobile,  being that is a ZTE product,  you did establish a relationship with that company. The carrier has no more control or over sight of the product than a retail store does for a TV you buy.

I do agree that tmobile really should be able to verify that quicker and I'm not certain as to why they haven't yet. I know support through the forum is slow as there is only a few employees that monitor it given the amount of content that goes up daily.

Given the symptoms though I stand by that it is a problem with the way the update was downloaded or applied. Being out of warranty there isn't a provision that tmobile would be able to replace the phone with another. This would be the same no matter which carrier you are with. They only help with the default manufacturer warranty as written. Being that the manufacturer does not offer a way to manually program the phone yourself,  the only recourse for the failing phone would be to contact ZTE probably by phone and see if they will reflash the phone for you by sending it to them and then they send it back to you.

You can call or live chat them which should get you a faster answer then if you just emailed them.

https://www.zteusa.com/contact-us/

• theartiszan

Oh and about the origin of the update,  I forgot. That had to be zte. Only they can issue updates for the device. Between the secure signatures and that the update can only come from their servers,  there is no other source that can be coming from.

• ch0ngu1

https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/device-reviews-and-information/zte-zinger-z667t-10-android-gsm-t2936545 in page 61 the are some files .img B10 ... T-mobile and ZTE  dont response for this... i see

• theartiszan

Did you try connecting zte via chat rather than email?  I still think zte pushed it without going through the normal channels. Htc did that awhile back too with the one s i think it was.

• mikep630

Thanks guys.  Yes, t-mobile appears to have jerked me around for a month and then abandoned the thread.  That's the real issue here.  If they'd been a little more conscientious, as a customer of longer than a decade I'd have shrugged, thrown the phone away, and bough a new one.  I didn't appreciate the frightening message that the update doesn't appear to be official and then nothing (except the occasional "we're still trying to find out").

Best I can see the XDA folks are trying to root phones.  All I need is the stock phone back.  I did try those files, thanks for that.  Figured I might as well - with no help forthcoming from ZTE nor T-Mobile the phone is only a paperweight.  Those update files do seem to be signed properly but fail with an assertion of a build mismatch so I'm still stuck (others I tried failed with signature mismatches).  Could be because my phone shows B11, while T Mobile shows B10 on their website (and the file there was B10).

ZTE's chat line responded with "you're asking a question above my skill level, maybe the ZTE community can help". So I went there, and they too pointed me to XDA.  The refusal to provide official update files on download site seem pretty silly to me given that they're signed.  And presumably free.  But that's neither here nor there.

The real issue is that T-Mobile has shown an alarming lack of coordination.  What if someone has hacked the signature?  Or perhaps its valid, signed, but still malicious?  ZTE is based in China with a relationship with us that's at best strained.  Yet T-Mobile is not only allowing them to push things our phones, they don't even know when it happens?  The ZTE Zinger page on T-Mobile still has no reference to this new update, and ZTE doesn't mention updates at all.  So what's the real status?

Other companies *might* be just as bad, but T-Mobile has *proven* that they are.  One phone is dead and I'm afraid to turn the other on - I lose nothing by leaving.

• tmo_lauren

Hey Mike!

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. It has definitely been an adventure in trying to get a response to this, and Marissa and myself have been chasing all sorts of people around. There is sort of a unique situation with the Zinger it would appear. There are two hardware versions of the Zinger, one does indeed have the B11 software version you have mentioned. So that definitely means what you have is official software, not any sort of malware or malicious update.

We also haven't seen or been provided any additional situations where the B11 software bricked another device, which is definitely something we have asked for and been trying to track down. This makes your incident pretty isolated which also lends itself to the difficulty of gathering info since there wasn't any issues popping up making it a focus for our device partners.

That said, it was implied it's safe to update the other device because there aren't incidents, but obviously your experiences would speak to the situation from a different perspective. That said, you should be safe to update it according to the responses I've gotten.

Please feel free to continue asking questions on here, I will be as timely as possible with my responses.

-Lauren

• mikep630

I'm glad you got it sorted.  Your website has not yet been updated.

I'm still out one month of wasted time, I still have one dead phone, and I'm still not sure what to do next.  I followed the wild goose chase as directed to ZTE whose service team had no idea what to do.  They pointed me to their community.  That community suggested I speak to the XDA community that's trying to root the phone.  They also turned out to be no help.  In any case I am not trying to root the phone, I'm trying to recover one that was broken when I applied what has now been confirmed as a legitimate update.

So the question remains, where can I obtain the update so that I can try to reapply it to the broken phone?  Not a gray market file from XDA or even a vanilla one from ZTE, but the proper one.  I bought the phone because the box said T-Mobile in big letters and I was already a T-Mobile customer.

• theartiszan

That would be the best thing is to reflash it with the stock software again which i believe would fix the problem.  But sadly since the manufacturer does not make this publicly available and the development community for this phone is so small no one has extracted a full image from anywhere,  you would not be able to do this on your own.

The only available option really would be to work out a rma with zte to send them the device so they can flash it manually and send it back to you. If it was still in warranty,  T-Mobile could offer a replacement.  But since you are out of the warranty,  T-Mobile would not be able to do that.

Sorry i couldn't provide you a more pleasing answer.

• mikep630

I must be confused.  When I asked earlier you said you were not a T-Mobile employee.  Yet you seem to be making return/exchange decisions for them?

I won't be going to ZTE.  I purchased these phones from T-Mobile, not from a Chinese affiliate.  I contacted ZTE out of due diligence, nothing more.

It is T-Mobile who has decided not to make the image available.  ZTE builds the image specifically for, signed for, and locked to T-Mobile.  Surely T-Mobile has access to the images for testing and authorized service if needed or requested.  Lauren specifically avoided addressing my request for a copy of the update.  This would have been an excellent gesture of good will after causing me so much alarm and inconvenience.  And at no cost to T-Mobile - no shipping costs, no labor.  That omission (without any justification given) is as clear as a refusal, and so then too is my importance to them as a customer.

• theartiszan

That is correct,  i am not an employee.  I do know their policy though. And being beyond a year warranty,  their policy is that the coverage is ended and they won't replace it. They also don't make or distribute the updates. So they don't have the software to give even if they wanted to. The files come from the manufacturer. Even when device testing occurs,  their test devices download the update the same way you do. That's why i mentioned needing to go to the manufacturer. In the case of the device you do have arelationship.  The sales relationship is no different then if you buy a tv from best buy. If that tv fails after the buyers remorse period,  you need to work with the manufacturer to get it repaired under warranty. If the warranty is over you can still send that tv in for repair at a cost. This relationship is the same with cell phones and is the same no matter which carrier you choose. While i know this isn't what you want to here but this is industry standard and the case would be the same with any provider. Either ZTE needs to give you an option to send in the phone for repair (since the software is not obtainable through the manufacturer like Samsung or HTC provide) or you will need to purchase another device (even if it is with another provider).

• tmo_lauren

Unfortunately there's not going to be a way for us to apply another update to a bricked phone. We don't know what caused the brick, and can't force an alternate software version over because that's the only available version per the manufacturer. They haven't made an alternate version of the update because it doesn't appear to be bricking others, and rollbacks aren't allowed by any of the majors at this point.

My contact was still going back and forth with his contacts about the difference in hardware versions and how they seem to have differing software updates, this is not something I have ever seen in another device and last he was waiting back to hear a way to tell the difference in hardware to know which software version you should have so when it is published there isn't any confusion as to which version you should have.

You can reflash like theartiszan mentioned, but that is indeed a little off the books and not something we directly offer instructions for, it's only something you'd find on CDA which I know you stated wasn't something you were interested in.

And again, while not an employee, theartiszan is correct in his exchange conjecture, the only other option outside of reflashing would be a warranty exchange which you have mentioned you aren't eligible for.

I didn't intend to specifically avoid addressing your request for a copy of the update, and while I definitely understand how it is natural to assume we would have access to the image for an update, in many cases we simply don't, there's not a manual way for us to even push OTA's from our side, much less a prior or alternate software version. Manufacturers typically hold their intellectual property behind locked doors, while there are some software updates we require them to test with us, we aren't even granted access to test for all security patches as they aren't supposed to interfere with performance or function.

I get this is the last response you want, and isn't entirely in line with your goals. I wish I could speak to what happened during your update, but because it seems to be isolated, I don't have much to go with it. It's possible there was jut a hiccup, there was an app on your phone that corrupted within the update, or any other number of things I can't truly speculate on.

I wish I was able to be of more assistance.

• mikep630

All I want to do is retry the update.zip file.  I do not wish to reflash the entire phone nor root it as appears to be the goal at XDA.  At XDA they do have a copy of the B10 update.zip which won't flash, complaining of a build number mismatch. I believe it's because this phone was partially flashed to B11 and shows as such in the recovery screen.

So let's recap:

1. Working phone.
                                                                                              2. Receive OTA update message
                                                                                              3. Accept update, automatic download and install begins.
                                                                                              4. Phone reboots but never leaves recovery.
                                                                                              5. Lots of discussion about "it's not a valid update" and re-iteration of T-Mobile's policies of which I have zero interest.

Either the update didn't load properly and a re-apply will fix it.  Or it failed because there's a flash memory problem that showed up just as the update was applied.  If the re-apply works I might as well keep the account on that phone. If not, the phone is out of warranty and can go in the garbage.  No advantage to staying so I'll move to another carrier.

Did you ask them for the file?  You should, there's a bug that I reported here some time ago with the storage calculation for the updates.  It requires removing a large part of the data on the phone to make about 1000x more  free space than the update requires. 

ZTE probably won't give a copy to me but I'm sure you could escalate them to get it for this reason alone.  If you made the update.zip available for direct download instead of forcing the use of the buggy OTA update process you might make more than just me happy.  Post it online or email directly to me, I'll pop it on an SD card and try it - 5 minutes work. 

• theartiszan

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.  You can not reapply a update like that.  Updates modify files contents in the phone system by adding and or deleting files and not simply replacing them.  Because the update was already run,  running it again will fail as these changes were already completed. The only way to correct a failed update to a device like that is to reflash the entire phone.

Like previously mentioned,  T-Mobile doesn't have that nore the tools to complete the programming. The only reason that some others are available (Like Odin)  is they were leaked out from the manufacturer.

This is why i mentioned the need to go back to the manufacturer to be reprogrammed. Or for them to provide the tools and files to do it yourself.

• mikep630

Once again I must ask – are you affiliated with T-Mobile?  You seem quite concerned that the support team would be wasting their time.  Of course “there’s nothing you can do” responses do not help me so you must have some other motivation.  Post count?

Have you tried to reapply an update.zip? Against a device where it has failed before?  Most importantly, update B11 on a ZTE Zinger?  I’m surprised you’re so certain.

As I noted, making the update.zip available for a manual update would be helping other customers around that silly “not enough space available” calculation bug as well.  It’s quite frustrating to uninstall many apps, apply the update, then re-install and re-configure the apps again.

An update.zip is just a manifest directed file that runs a script making changes to a simple file system.  Yes, they’re usually written to prevent downgrades and signed to prevent modification, but there would be no specific reason to prevent them from being idempotent.  I have every reason to expect that it’s as badly written as the OTA update space checker, or the script that damaged this phone in the first place, but there is a chance that it would work.  No harm in trying, and a certain loss to me and presumably t-mobile if not.

• theartiszan

I Will reiterate,  i am not in any way affiliated with  t mobile other than being a customer.

And yes i have tried reapplying a ota on other devices and all have failed and not once have i seen that fix a problem. That's why i said you will need the full version.  The problem is that when a update says delete these lines from file x and add new lines y it can not redo that. If it tries and the changes were already made,  it will corrupt it even further as now it is deleting more or less the wrong data and potentially adding duplicate code that will break worse.

• mikep630

theartiszan wrote:

I Will reiterate,  i am not in any way affiliated with  t mobile other than being a customer.

And yes i have tried reapplying a ota on other devices and all have failed and not once have i seen that fix a problem.

That's disconcerting.  I would have guessed at least independent service with that kind of experience and so many "you're SOL, leave T-Mobile alone" posts.  But just a customer?  How often does an OTA failure happen to you?  This is my first and I've owned more than a handful of phones with one or more successful OTA on pretty much all of them.  Why even these ZTEs had two previous to this one.

• elver2017

I also update my ZTE ZINGER to B11 and I have no GSM signal, the bands and the IMEI are fine. If they have the rom help. Thank you. Yo tambien actualize  a B11 mi ZTE ZINGER y me quede sin señal GSM, las bandas y el IMEI estan bien. Si tienen la rom ayuden. Gracias.

• mikep630

Hey T-Mobile, all of your questions have been answered.  B11 is an official update.  There has indeed been more than one incidence where the update has broken the phone, it's not just me.  The phone didn't fail, it was a mistake of some kind by ZTE.

Clearly this is not a case of "sorry, you're out of warranty" as the phone was broken by the manufacturer.  So who's going to make good on it? 

• tmo_lauren

I'm going ahead and forwarding the cases we have reported here to our Zinger contact! Doesn't appear there is anything reported as an official known issue, but I am going to keep monitoring what goes on and anyone else with similar issues in hopes if this is a widespread issue we can get it addressed!

-Lauren

• windows789

I also failed this update, and I can not even access recovery. The zte phones can only be flashed in FTM mode (pwr + vol down) or EDL mode. To enter EDL mode first you have to enter FTM and once you are in this mode connect it to a pc and install the drivers. Once all this is done, enter the following command "adb reboot edl" and the phone reboots in qualcomm mode. The biggest problem is that files to flash this model are nowhere to be found.

• mikep630

The plot thickens.  Now it's starting to look less like bad luck on my part and more about negligence on ZTE's behalf.  I wonder how many have hit the same thing and just tossed the phones in the garbage rather than visit the community?  Hopefully T-Mobile can step in and help us now that their earlier question has been resolved - there are other cases.

• magenta1312412

I certainly understand your frustration; I've had those situations when a product is not working to no fault of my own and no-one can/will help. And I've had a lot of flawed software on cheap mobile devices.

Thought I'd report: I found this post today while my B11 OTA update was being applied and I was curious what it was about. Had me worried as the update progressed. But phone is rebooting and starting up normally, and I am currently applying app updates. The only thing I can think that would make my situation any different than typical is that there is no SIM card currently installed (16GB microSD card, unused).

Hardware version: wvjA