Slow internet on duplicate line?

lefty09

I'm on the T-Mobile One plan and using the Digits beta for one number on multiple devices. I just activated a duplicate SIM in a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge yesterday, and all is well, calls and texts come thru to the duplicate line, and data is also working on the duplicate line, but it seems much slower than on my regular line. Is the data supposed to be the same, or do we get slower data on our duplicate line? My S7 Edge supports Tmobile LTE and works as normal with my original sim, but with the duplicate sim, the data is noticeably slower. Is this how it should be, or should it be just as fast as my regular device? thanks!

All replies

• debjitjdv

Re: Slow internet on duplicate line?

Hey, it should not be the case. I have same speed in primary and duplicate line. Can you gi to Cellular Networks and Reset your APN to defaults? That sometime gets messed up and can cause slow data speed.

• lefty09

Hi, thanks for your response. I toggled my APN but still same data speed. What plan are you on, I'm on T-Mobile One and was told in another thread that my duplicate line is utilizing my hotspot data, which is limited to 3G, which does jive with what I'm experiencing. However on Friday I'm gonna make sure and enable the new 10GB of high-speed hotspot per month, and hopefully that will help! Thx

• lefty09

Just a quick update: Yesterday I enabled the new HD Video and 10 GB of LTE Hotspot promo, but I can't tell if my duplicate line is drawing from that 10 GB bucket. I'm getting decent speeds in the Speedtest app(especially upload speeds), but web pages are still loading slower and Play Store downloads are still slow as mud! Not complaining, it's great to be trying all this out. Just posting my experience.

Anyone else have any experience with data speeds on a duplicate sim/duplicate line? And if so, what data plan are you on? Thx

• lefty09

Another update here: I called the tech suppórt line for Digits to see what I could find out, got a super helpful guy who said something looks funky on my account, as if I don't have enough data or something. He ended up filing a bug report, so it is being looked at. As far he knew, my duplicate line should be getting the same data speed as my primary.

In the meantime, I have found another strange thing: I got some text messages to my duplicate line's phone number! That's a number that isn't supposed to work, but is supposed to be forwarded to my primary number. And now I'm sending texts from my duplicate number, and making calls that show up as coming from my duplicate number! So that's definitely strange! I'm gonna call back and let them know that this has started happening today!

• tmo_evan

lefty09

Hopefully the rep didn't mess up your lines since it seems from what you described that maybe he was being a little too helpful.

To answer the original question the beta for duplicate SIM will draw down from your tethering bucket on T-Mobile One.

• lefty09

Ah OK, thanks for the reply! Do you happen to know if the duplicate sim will start to utilize my 10GB of high-speed hotspot that I recently enabled with the HD Promo? I'm am now getting LTE hotspot in general, but not LTE on my duplicate line. Thanks!

• alphawave

Is there any followup on this? I have slow data on my duplicate line, Play apps taking ages to download. All other lines at full speed.

• tmo_evan

tmo_amanda

alphawave

Sounds like there might be an issue with your particular duplicate line.   I've asked one of the forum moderators to follow up with you on this.

Just to be sure, the data for your duplicate line uses the same data as your high speed tethering bucket and if you've exhausted that either from your phone or from your use of your duplicate, the speed will be reduced till the next billing period.  That's the way the duplicate SIM works at the moment, so it's possible that you may be running into that... else there is something else not setup properly that will need to get a bug filed so someone can investigate.

• alphawave

Thanks evan! I was One TE, and TMO-Chris had Digits team flow me over to TI (postdated to 3/15). Just before I opted to go TI, I had added the recent free One Plus Free add-on to get the HD Pass and 10GB high speed tether. Digits team seems to have brought all of that over according to my 'pending changes'. Don't know if any of that helps, but there it is!

• tmo_evan

alphawave

I think someone in the special care is going to have to look at your account for your primary line and look to see whether or not the 10 GB tether is active.  If it was postdated, that might have made it not currently active, etc.   Just make sure to tell them NOT to touch anything on the Duplicate SIM line since if you're getting calls and messages then that is setup properly.   If at the end of the day, both the tethering bucket is active and you're still getting the slow slow slow speed data, then please ask them to file an issue ticket for you since the team will need to investigate the details.  Make sure they have everything and anything you can think of (dates of migration, phone numbers, that it was previously working as of x date, etc) so that when the put in the issue ticket the team has everything necessary.

Thanks again for helping us out!

• alphawave

I'll test my main line again, but it has been working fine after TForce 'forced' the HD pass...I was still getting buffered playback on video (it was even worse than regular One TE plan video speeds) when I first enabled One Plus Free's HD Pass. The One Plus Free add-on time period is also when I noticed slow data on the duplicate line...thought I'd just wait a bit to let things shake out before bringing it up. Others on Reddit are starting to report slow duplicate data too, so I thought it was time to investigate.

Edit: Just tethered my Pixel and got 50 mbps on this Chromebook, so tethering is fine!

• tmo_evan

Hadn't seen any of the reddit threads on this...

I've asked the team to look into this further and to test.  It is possible that there is a conflict that we have to solve between the beta builds for the rateplans and what was just deployed for T-Mobile One.

Would be helpful if we can get your account info via the forum admins so we can also look directly at the accounts.

Thanks again!

• lefty09

That's what I'm figuring is going on, there have been so many changes and great deals lately, perhaps they just all need to be lined up to work properly together. I'll be happy to provide my info to any ADMIN to try and help sort it out. Let me know, thanks!

• lefty09

Thanks for the info! From my end it doesn't seem like the HD promo is working with the duplicate line. I do now have high-speed hotspot coming from my primary line, and I have used less than 1 gigabyte of my 10 gigabyte allotment, but my duplicate line is not running on LTE, I know that for sure. Pages with photos take a long time to load and it takes hours just to download apps from Google Play.

• tmo_amanda

lefty09 and alphawave,

Thanks for the heads up on this issue. I'll be sending a PM your way within the next couple of minutes to request the info that evanmf mentioned. 

• lefty09

I'm hoping my slow internet problem just got fixed with the reset of my bill cycle today. First thing I did was load a few web pages on my duplicate line, then go to ma-t-mobile.com to check my hotspot usage on my primary line, and sure enough it said I had used .1 MB out of 10 GB high-speed hotspot. So, I'm hoping that means that my duplicate line is now using my 10 GB of newly-acquired hotspot data. Fingers crossed! Will keep everyone posted. Wondering if a bill cycle reset fixes it for others..

• tmo_marissa

DIGITSBETA.png

This thread was the product of our fantastic collaborators during DIGITS Beta! As many terms have changed and bugs have been exterminated since the Beta launched, the information here may no longer be accurate. If you still have a question, please search our active threads or ask a new question in the DIGITS space!