Why is tmboile slack on the samsaung s7 nougat update?

olaade

I am very disappointed in you TMobile. Very disappointed in the service you are giving your Samsung customers. Why is that you are one of the carriers that hasn't given Samsung Galaxy S7 customers their Nougat update yet? This update came out in December and you've had almost 2 months to roll this update out. I do not CARE for bloatware/ preinstalled TMobile apps, all I want is the long promised UPDATE. Why is it that you guys can't just release the update and then make it OPTIONAL to download the "Tmobile Exsulive" apps. I'm pretty sure most customers, Andriod at least, don't even use half the features that come preloaded. This S7 has been my first actual premium quality phone that's good in everything BUT the bloatware that comes preloaded in the phone. If it weren't for the fact that I'm contract with you guys and have to pay monthly for the bill (which I'm trying to pay off as fast as possible to get rid of this phone), I would have sold this phone, traded, or done SOMETHING to it so I could switch to Apple which doesn't have as bad as a problem as Tmobile does with their andriod devices. I highly doubt I can get a refund or do some type of trade in that would give me back even a fraction of my money or make a significant dent in the price of buying a new iphone plus, so I'm just going to have to ride it out till I pay off the phone and go from there. You're seriously doing a huge disservice to your customers Tmoible. I'm a very reasonable man so i'll hear out your side of all this. But keep in mind this disservice has me hellbent on switching to apple and not buying it from tmobile js (like 99%)

All replies

• theartiszan

Samsung hasn't released it yet. Samsung only had the beta program last year. None of the USA carriers have 7 for the s7 yet. This has nothing to do with T-Mobile. There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into getting a update released. Apple does the exact same thing. It only appears for their release to take less time since they don't announce anything till it's already basically completed.

• olaade

I'd like to concur mainly due to the fact that if you check the Samsung galaxy S7 threads, you'd see that plenty of people who weren't in the beta program have the update. And you may think "Well if he's so impatient why doesn't he just flash it?" well, I'm usually playing the extremely safe route of not messing with the software on my phone so that I qualify for all and anything that falls under warranty.

And on the sub, most people are saying what I'm saying. I'll link you so you can see as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/5r3w9a/whats_going_on_with_nougat_rollout/

And I'm almost confident that T-Mobile will add some useless crap that no one uses or wants. I'm confident that the vast majority of owners don't use the preloaded bloatware mainly because it doesn't interest them or there are apps that severely out class them. The only good preloaded Tmobile app is Visual Voicemail. And you might also be thinking "Gee why doesn't he just uninstall the bloatware?" well mainly because I don't think customers should be forced to take what they don't want or use. Like when you buy the phone or later down the road, they should allow software udates to ask the customer if they want to add the bloatware rather than making it come preloaded.

And lastly, Apple does a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better job when it comes to bloatware. Iphone aren't loaded with crap like Tmobile TV or T-mobile name ID.

I'm a andriod fan boy but I'm never buying a andriod from TMboile again just because they have okayish financing options. Would just be better to save up and buy the unlocked version.

• tidbits

Added software is bull that it delays updates. It takes matter of hours to test. Also it is given to manufacturers in advanced. It's the longest telling lie that keeps getting passed around. Manufacturers could be like Apple and not put bloatware but that's what carriers pay into so YOU don't have to pay in. Ever wonder why Apple devices cost more? There's a lot of side deals that they don't make and also they have physical stores and employees. That is added costs which ends up on device costs. Android OEM actually make millions before their devices are even on store shelves, or on preorder.

The reason why Samsung(or manufacturers in general) is always carrier features or governmental bodies. For example RCS. Major updates needs testing. I bet $1M that if they didn't test it and if affected 50% of the user base T-Mobile will get a huge amount of flack for it. Shoot just 5% of the user base would be enough flack for something out of their control. You can see it here from time to time. A nexus device someone brings from Google and it doesn't work then 40 pages later it's still all T-Mobiles fault. Three updates later from Google fixes the problem and Google admits finally it was their problem, and people still blamed T-Mobile for it months later.

Wish things were more cut and dry, but there's a lot of things behind the scenes that the media or general public fail to mention or even understand about.

• hochylora@gmail.com

Just be glad they're not AT&T. AT&Ts released all of 3-4 updates total for the S7.

• theartiszan

You are correct there. Currently Apple has a better way with the added software.  Google is working on that as well. But it has been down in the past multiple times that those software pieces don't really delay the release though. But things like Wi-Fi calling and volte can due the the extra verification and tests on top of development. With the pixel and devices going forward,  these applications are installed frosting during the setup process and you can uninstall them. So if manufacturers take up that approach,  it will start allowing end users to uninstall unwanted programs.

• sslman71

I am not understanding why almost 2 years after S7 Edge release we will barely get the 7.1.1 Nougat update in December. Now I also read that it is about the time to get Oreo but that is going to be put off until May 2018 for this phone. What is the dragging feet for? Just got Krack and Blueborne patch, and still no 7.1.1. This is seeming to be pointless to expect something on time. By the time Oreo last update to this phone, it will be 4 years old. I read somewhere that T-mobile is supposed to offer patches or updates monthly but last one was 3 months gap.

Another thing that makes no sense at all, is that S7 and S7 Edge beta test Nougat, but they don't get the latest version of it. How does that work? I mean they beta test it in the end of 2016, and it is almost 2018 and still no 7.1.1. Make no sense at all. I can understand S8 and S8 Plus getting Oreo sooner than the older but, to hold off on the flagship that should be getting latest Nougat version even before J7.

• stevetjr

As mentioned above and 100 threads, updates on Android are complicated and a tangled web of who, what, where and when.  First of Oreo isn't right around the corner, the Beta is running for the S8/8+ and if how the experience is going from me, it is definitely not ready for prime time and Samsung has been slower than they were for the S7 Nougat beta in fixing issues and trust me there are issues.  You have to remember Samsung isn't running "pure" android and it's not just the "bloatware" and frankly as tidbits mentioned above that has nothing to do with any delays with the OS as they carriers get those apps way ahead of time and the are also just apps with their only uniqueness is they are preloaded in the root directory so you can't delete them.  Samsung runs Touchwiz (now Samsung Experience) on top of the Android OS and frankly that is was most of the work after Google releases an update goes to as it has it's fingers into everything.  Now some things that Samsung had to program independently like Wi-Fi calling which initially was Samsung coding just for TMO, then Sprint is now off loaded and built into the Android OS but of course there are a 100+ other things touchwiz touches.

As for 7.1.1, you have to understand the rules that Google lays out and in some cases you may actually have 99.9% of 7.1.1 but for whatever reason but from what I have heard and seen is that Samsung either can't get the .1% item to work right or more over it's something that touchwiz/experience handles and incorporating the "official" version from Google causes issues so they won't put it in so therefore they can't legally call the version 7.1.1, and the J may get the .1 because whatever feature that is that is the issue is something the J7 doesn't do so was never built into it's TW version so therefore Samsung can just use the Google version for it. Example would be say the finger print reader, TW used to have to handle all of that until Nougat came out then Google added native biometric support to Nougat so Samsung had to get TW to share or let go of aspects of that and my guess they had issues with part of that so that's why the S7 will never see 7.1.1 but instead will just get Oreo at some point.

But the other part of this equation is folks just can't sink their teeth into is this is all Samsung and other than testing the releases T-Mobile has nothing to do with them nor do any of the carriers with the exception of having some custom requests that need to be made for technical (ie network/features) reasons or like in the case of Verizon/AT&T hiding features that are now native to Android because they don't want their customers to see they don't support it, like Wi-Fi calling or VoLTE when Google first made it native to the OS, Verizon and AT&T had that menu hidden so users couldn't see it.   The opposite of that is that T-Mobile had the most advanced network and features out there some of which require custom OS coding because Google or Samsung/Qualcomm haven't had time to make them native or they are just too new to put in the code for every device they make because they could cause issues on the other networks because for example T-Mobile is really the only one with Gigabit LTE out there currently. (Sprint says they have it but most say it is really only in Kansas City and maybe a couple of other markets).

The advice given by most of us Pillars on this site is pretty consistently the same and that is if update are a big thing for you then your really need to stay Pixel or Nexus and while not the perfect option always it is what it is.  Google phones are running the "pure" version of Android and when they release an update those devices get it since frankly that is the device the OS was essentially written and tested against inside Google.  The trade off is you loose some of the cool features that Samsung builds into it's devices to differentiate itself from the rest of the "Android" market. not to mention they have put hardware that either they were first or in the case of MST (Samsung Pay - the stripe beaming tech) the only one who has it but all of this has to be baked in and/or worked around  the base Android all while "complying" with Google's rules.

• sslman71

WOW! All that for why S7 Edge is the flagship that beta tested Nougat, but still is the last one to get 7.1.1 update. Thanks for the walls of text, that was more a tangent, than getting anything through. No matter what it should be the s7/s7 Edge that gets it first before others in T-mobile, (Not including Google phones), but nope it will always have someone making things up to hold it back. I will just wait for Oreo then, since it is more important to slack off than to actually push something out at the right time.

• stevetjr

Sorry for the "walls" of text and obviously you missed the part that pointed out the S7 is not the first device to not get a .1 or etc update but if you look at what those updates did the device actually had them but because it was using Samsung's Touchwiz or another work around so it could work with in the touchwiz environment it couldn't be officially labeled .1 and knowing what was one of the big changes between MM and Nougat was biometrics which Samsung had been doing solo programing at that point since it wasn't official AOSP until Nougat.  The J doesn't have biometrics so obviously there is nothing in Nougat that will cause an issue with that Touchwiz variant since they can just disable it for the J.

You keep pointing out about slacking and not doing what they need to but you are posting this on T-Mobile's site when in fact you should be posting this on Samsung's site, they do the programing end of story.  Plus if you look back at Samsung's update history you will see many past devices that will get the new OS update that Google has released not get an official version of the intermediate update once the new OS releases as they focus all development at that point on the new OS version rather than an intermediate version especially when in most cases most of the features of that intermediate update are already baked into their "current version" even though the official version number doesn't reflect it.

You are so amped up about .1, what exactly in .1 do you feel is so important that you are missing or need?  Do you even know or is just the number that you are hung up on because if it's the number don't be because the point was that Samsung does put the necessary pieces of the dot version in they just don't put all the AOSP required items for the dot version in so they can't call it in this case 7.1.1 when in reality it is.

• sslman71

I would like you to actually quote me on where I said exactly that T-mobile is slacking? Did I actually say T-mobile is the slacker. Okay then. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I appreciate that. Why is it that someone gets so ticked off that they always have to have the last word. It is always this way in forums, no matter who it is. I give up trying to communicate with people because it is always someone trying to make the other look bad. I am not responding anymore for this waste of time to just go back and forth, for no reason.

• stevetjr

Well lets see;

"No matter what it should be the s7/s7 Edge that gets it first before others in T-mobile, (Not including Google phones), but nope it will always have someone making things up to hold it back. I will just wait for Oreo then, since it is more important to slack off than to actually push something out at the right time."

Considering you posted I know concerned that the TMO J7 got 7.1.1 before your S7 and the fact that you posted it on T-Mobil's support forum whom should I assume you are calling a slacker, Samsung?  You didn't put this on their site you put in on TMO's site.

You also didn't answer what exactly in 7.1.1 are you missing that you feel is necessary? It was just updated 9 days ago so the security updates are probably as current as Samsung has out and the other .1 features are most likely in the OS already it's just not called 7.1.1 for legal reasons, but if that's not the case then what .1 feature don't you have??