tk0247

SMS hangs sending and receiving  Android/ Galaxy, I verified the smsc number, cleared message cashe. deleted old threads. nothing helps. Its not that the message fails,The message eventually does go through, but there is a VERY long lag time from when the message is sent and received as long as 45min. this is on outbound messages sent and also sometimes on inbound messages. Location does not matter, it can be anywhere.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: SMS hangs sending and receiving

Oh this really hits home for me tk0247 and I'm bummed this is happening to you. Kudos for everything you've done so far to help fix this. Are you using a 3rd party messaging app? If so or you have any 3rd party messaging apps installed, can you remove them for a bit and retest? Which Galaxy are you using exactly? You could also try booting the phone up in Safe mode then see if the same thing happens. Please let us know the results.

• tk0247

Hi , thanks for the response,  I have still not resolved this texting issue.  I have tried in safe mode  with the same results. can be as long as 45min but on the average it is about 20min, sometimes less, it is very hit or miss. even more strange is I will sometimes receive a text that was sent to me 3 days ago.  Its with a Samsung galaxy s3 , using the messing ap that came with the phone,not 3rd party.. I installed a 3rd party messenger to see if it was that , I had the same results with the 3rd party messenger too, and I uninstalled it.   Other strange quirks which may  or may not be related,  the phone will not keep the correct time on the top menu bar, but if you go into the settings , the time is correct.  automatic date and time are checked. , but I digress , it is the texting that I am concerned with at this point.  I am not sure if it is a network issue with tmobile ; a provisioning issue with my phone, or a bad sim.

• tmo_mike_c

That's excellent you covered the other bases. Usually a delay like this makes me think it could be coming from the device. I'm guessing you are running the latest software on the phone? Do you see any signal loss of fluctuation when you're sending the message? That could be an indicator that it's a network issue. Testing the SIM in another device will help us figure this out as well.

• tk0247

Yes,  the device is updated , did not notice any drop in signal..  I will try to swap the sim card from another phone. I was trying to make that my last option as my phone has an otterbox,  which is great to protect the phone, but a pain to take apart to get at the sim

• tmo_amanda

Hey tk0247!

Did you try swapping the SIM? If so, do you notice any improvement in the amount of time it takes to send/receive a text?

Side note: The Otterbox cases are amazing but definitely a pain to remove! I hope that went well.

• tk0247

Hi ,

I removed the sim from my phone and installed that same sim into a different Galaxy phone,  I got the same results of a very long lag time of a message going out. I got tired of waiting for an inbound message to be received.

It is really strange as i receive messages 2 days old or older in a series of five at a time or 1 old message every 20 min to an hour.  The clock on the menu bar on top also gets out of sync, but the internal clock on the phone is correct. I do not have another sim to try in my phone , but I am leaning towards a defective sim card.  or possibly a provisioning error on my account.   I will be contacting T-Mobile today to obtain a new sim card.

......... to be continued.

• tmo_amanda

Happy Saturday, tk0247!

Yes, super strange! A new SIM may do the trick. Were you able to get your hands on one yet? If so, any delays in the messaging now?

• tk0247

Hello,  Thanks for the reply..   I was able to go to T-Mobile and get a new SIM card.  However, it did not fix the problem; I did test it right there on the spot...they also tried to sell me another phone (no surprise there) . 

What I finally had  to  do,  as a final last resort,  was a factory reset (having my data backed up first).  The Factory reset did work, sort of....  The texting and time keeping was now restored,  after about a day or so, the phone would re-boot for no reason at all, even if it was just on the table idle, it would just reboot.   A message came up about  day later,  that one of the partitions of the phone was corrupt and needed to be reset.   So another full reset and clearing the cache and partitions seems to be the fix.

So bottom line , when your phone is working correctly, back up what you can on an SD card AND also on the cloud , ie Samsung smart switch. You will be glad that you did.

An extra shout out to Russ, at T-Mobile phone tech support !  I have to say that T-mobile was really on top of  their game, troubleshooting this unique problem, they took ownership of it, They didn't try to dismiss it. I am not sure if another phone carrier would have gone through the efforts that T-mobile did.  This is not a plug , nor was i compensated to say that.  It was very good customer service.

Thank you to everyone that wrote in .