T-Mobile Digits and Android Wear

jhathaway2027

Can T-Mobile Digits be used on an LTE enable smartwatch running Android Wear? The new LG Sport watch came out and is LTE but will it work on T-Mobiles network?

Another question is if it does work, would it use a wearable sim card or a regular sim? There is a lot of confusion about this that no one knows about yet unless they actually test it out.

All replies

• tmo_evan

Re: T-Mobile Digits and Android Wear

Yes you can use a DIGITS duplicate SIM with other LTE smartphones and in particular the one using Android Wear 2.0.  What you want to do if you're interested in this is to:

A) either have a duplicate line already and then you can simply do a SIM swap via care to the ICCID (embedded SIM card number) for the Smartwatch.  

B) if you don't have a duplicate line already, you can simply go through the registration process and pick using a Gear S2/S3 and simply enter in the ICCID for smartwatch that you want to use (e.g. it doesn't have to actually be a Gear S2/S3).

Hope that helps.

• jhathaway2027

Do you have to pay monthly for the duplicate sim card, or is it just considered to be the same line as your primary cell phone?

• mjaymeyer

Hi Evan,

I as well would like to try T-Mobile DIGITS on my wife's new smartwatch (also an LG Watch Sport like the original poster). I signed up for and was accepted into the beta recently but where do I go from here? I don't have an ICCID for the watch since we don't have the SIM card for it yet, is that already on its way or is there a way I can "order" a compatible DIGITS SIM? Just not sure iF I have to run through the Gear S2/S3 process you outlined above first with some different ICCID.

Thanks!

• tmo_evan

Most smartwatches have embedded SIM cards.  If your wife's smartwatch has a removable SIM card than you simply need to go through the registration process and pick that you are going to use your number on multiple devices and choose a T-Mobile compatible "feature phone" as the specific scenario.  In that way they will send you a SIM card you can install in the watch.

If the watch has an embedded SIM card than in the setting for the watch, it should provide that number.

If the smartwatch doesn't have cellular connectivity, than we are talking past each other in that those watches just pair with a phone and thus DIGITS really isn't something that you can use on the watch since it's just a mechanism for getting notifications from the phone and doesn't interact with the T-Mobile network directly.

Hope that makes sense.

• mjaymeyer

That makes perfect sense. This watch does not have the embedded sim but it does have LTE connectivity (opening the bottom of the watch you can see where the nano sim would be installed. I read through some other posts and figured out the feature phone trick to get the question about shipping info so I believe I should be good to go. Would definitely help to have a checkbox for needing a SIM or not to avoid confusion. Thanks for the help!