T-Mobile making it impossible to unlock iPhone

twittg

I purchased my iPhone 6 Plus outright "unlocked" and used it on T-Mobile for 1.5 years. I upgraded to an iPhone 7 Plus and after a while decided to sell my old iPhone but discovered it's now locked. I contacted customer care and requested an unlock code despite them claiming I don't need one for the iPhone. (It's listed in steps 2 and 3 here - Mobile Device Unlock: Apple iPhone 6 Plus). The tech support representative said my phone was eligible and submitted the unlock request. I received a message that the phone needed to be used at least for one full day before requesting an unlock.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, this subscriber is not eligible to receive the unlock code at this time. In order to be eligible, the device must show at least one day of usage 40 days or more prior to the date of this request Please submit a new request after this requirement has been met."

OK - didn't see that stipulated in the requirements, but ok. So I put the SIM back in the iPhone 6 and used it for a couple days then requested an unlock code again. This time I received this message:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. The account must meet the following criteria:
    1. Account must be Active.
    2. IMEI must show usage on the requested line.
    3. Must have $100.00 or more refill since first use date of device on requested line.
    4. No more than 2 unlock requests in the past 12 month.
    5. The $100 in total refills is required for each device that is requesting to be unlocked.
    Please submit a new request once the subscriber meets the above criteria."

I meet all of those conditions so am not sure why it was denied, but because it was denied I've just used my 2 unlock requests and apparently am stuck for a year (!!!). How the *&#@! do I get my iPhone unlocked!?!?!?!?!

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: T-Mobile making it impossible to unlock iPhone

Hey twittg!

I'm sorry this has been a far from simple process to get your iPhone unlocked. I wanted to clarify one thing real quick: unlock requests are only counted towards your two per 12 months if they are approved. Since the two you have submitted so far have not been approved, they do not count. It sounds like you need to get a set of eyes on your account to see where the hold-up if you meet all of the above requirements. As a community manager, we do not have account access. Your best bet would be to get in touch with Customer Care or T-Force (our social media customer service team) through here: Contact Us. Please give that a shot and let me know how it goes.