gaoyangsandy

I have a VPN server setup at home using L2TP/IPSec and I've tested it working on multiple public wifi network. However, the VPN doesn't seem to work when I'm connected to the tmobile LTE network. Some people said this is because tmobile uses ipv6 by default and suggested changing the APN protocol to ipv4 could help. But once I changed it to ipv4, I can't even connect to the LTE network. Does anyone know how to fix this?

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: VPN on LTE doesn't work

Hey gaoyangsandy, I'm so sorry you're running into trouble here.  Although this is not to say it can't be done (I've used my LG V10's hotspot to connect to our VPN when my internet's down!), when it comes to Virtual Private Network connections, we're not able to offer support for setup or functionality.  What kind of phone are you using?  Are you able to connect to your device's hotspot signal without connecting to VPN?  Have you been able to switch it back so that you're getting LTE again?

Regarding the VPN connection - barring the possibility of a more knowledgeable user from our Community stepping in here with input, your best bet for assistance with this is to contact the manufacturer of the equipment you're using.  However, we absolutely want to do whatever we can to make sure you're able to utilize the standard functions of your phone! 

- Marissa

• gaoyangsandy

I'm using Google's pixel phone.  I think the problem is related to ipv6. Is there any way to force my phone to use ipv4 when connecting to tmobile's LTE network?

• tmo_marissa

I have heard plenty about folks switching their routers to IPv4 to get a more stable WiFi connection, but I've never heard of a way that you can force a phone to do so - to be honest I misunderstood what you stated initially, it sounded like you had a way to do this with your phone and had already done so!  I know that we do have some community members here who use Pixels, so they may chime in, but since we don't retail the Pixel, my expertise is limited here.  On our end, we're not able to remove the IPv6 provisioning on a customer's line - by default, customers are provisioned for both. I did a quick search on Google's Pixel Forum and so far, I'm coming up short on threads related to forcing the device to use IPv4, but that may be a great resource to try?  If you do learn of a way to do this, we'd love to hear back!

- Marissa